Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Blues - daft or just honest?

NSW Blues - daft or just honest?

Old May 24th 2004, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default NSW Blues - daft or just honest?

so the NSW state of origin team are in turbo strife after the sackings,turmoil and all round buffoonery of the last few days.
But are they any worse than other sides/codes or are they just rubbish at publicity?

The Telegraph makes a point this morning that the QLD team kicked out Chris walker the other wekk because he broke a team curfew and got so drunk he needed to be subdued with pepper spray. However its generally accepted that the QRL hushed up the fact that he wasn't out alone, but was in fact in the company of several other players.
The Tele argues that the hushing up gives more fuel to the fire that players consider tehmselves untouchable, and hence above the law if the governing body will protect them from media fury and public resentment.

In Sydney of course no one really cares about AFL in the same way. We have a player at the Swans who paid a woman 'hush money' (and a lot of it) over rape allegationsm, whilst saying that of course he "didn't commit an offence". AFL is riddled with such charges and hush ups, but in sydney the Swans are viewed by many as lovely chaps in comparison to the RL fellas. Are the Swans just better at publicity, or do we just not care about them here?
Old May 25th 2004, 8:26 pm
PommieLeague

If it was rugby union, im sure the rah rah authorities would as usual gloss over such things.

I think these clowns should be sent to play in the NL2 comp in the UK!

Old May 25th 2004, 8:31 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the pepper spray was not called for, no guy wants pepper spray in his face when he's had a nice night out with his mates.
Old May 25th 2004, 8:35 pm
PommieLeague

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I think the pepper spray was not called for, no guy wants pepper spray in his face when he's had a nice night out with his mates.
....or as for punishment they should go out into bushtowns and help out the kids at the fledging clubs out there!

Old May 25th 2004, 8:47 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

And he can't have been all that drunk if he needed pepper spray! If he was that drunk, he'd be unconscious and no bother to anyone

I think it's right to punish sports people for out of order behaviour...like Rich says, the need to know that they are not untouchable and can't go about making obscene phonecalls. When they're playing a sport for a living, they have to treat it professionally and most people can't go and get pissed on the job.