Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

grubman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

I received a reply yesterday to my e-mail of September saying they still didn't have labour agreement and still no date from the department of health as to when it would be reissued. She did say that they were still in touch with the department and asking for timelines and they were impatiently waiting its finalisation. Who knows it may still happen!!!!!!
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

displacedsurfer21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grubman
I received a reply yesterday to my e-mail of September saying they still didn't have labour agreement and still no date from the department of health as to when it would be reissued. She did say that they were still in touch with the department and asking for timelines and they were impatiently waiting its finalisation. Who knows it may still happen!!!!!!
I'm sure it will happen, the question has always been when! They wouldn't keep an international applicant section on the website otherwise. The greater question for us would be when the labour agreement is finally approved (whether that be tomorrow or 10 years from now) where does that leave those who have already traveled to Sydney and passed all the examinations? Will we have to travel out to Sydney, again, to undertake the examinations all over again?? Can't believe its been almost 1.5 years since my verbal offer and i'm not sipping beers on bondi beach! Good luck to all!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

its_a_big_jump is an unknown quantity at this point

Afternoon all,

I haven't got any more news other than what has already been posted, but just wanted to say it's good to know it's not just me in this situation! It was only 12 months ago that I had a verbal offer of employment, and yeah I'm a bit miffed that i'm not sipping beers on bondi, stoking up the barbi! I'm still optimistic that something will happen, just wish it would be sooner rather than later!
The delay has actually given me the opportunity to crack on with my DipHE Paramedic Science and I should now get it finished, rather than abandoning it half way thru. When it is completed, next spring hopefully, I was planning on treating myself with a trip back to Oz. If we're all still in the same situation then, I'll go and stick my head in the door at Rozelle and see what the crack is, I'll keep you all updated...
Well i'm between night shifts at the mo, not long til i'm back in putting my vomit bowl holding, blood mopping up skills to the test!
Hang in there folks, we'll get there one day!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

I wan tee go oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

As the LA seemed to be taking so long, I put in an application for SJA WA in July, didn't have hopes up as they had been dashed in NSW, but just had official job offer yesterday!

They move fast!!!

On with sorting visa etc etc now, gonna be a busy time, start date is in the spring!!

They are still recruiting if anyone interested, open until 11th Dec!
Thread started on here for SJA WA.

Good luck to ya all
Old Dec 11th 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

rootbeerfloat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi all.

As the LA seemed to be taking so long, I put in an application for SJA WA in July, didn't have hopes up as they had been dashed in NSW, but just had official job offer yesterday!

They move fast!!!

On with sorting visa etc etc now, gonna be a busy time, start date is in the spring!!

They are still recruiting if anyone interested, open until 11th Dec!
Thread started on here for SJA WA.

Good luck to ya all
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here and ass usual it appears I may be too late.
I have started an application with WA ambulance service.
Iwanteegooz, where did they conduct your physical fitness test?

***Cancel that!*** just read the rest of the Thread and realised you had yours done in NSW.

Last edited by rootbeerfloat; Dec 11th 2010 at 3:32 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rootbeerfloat
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here and ass usual it appears I may be too late.
I have started an application with WA ambulance service.
Iwanteegooz, where did they conduct your physical fitness test?

***Cancel that!*** just read the rest of the Thread and realised you had yours done in NSW.
Hi,
Good luck with your application with WA. There is a thread on expats for it.
Did my fitness for ASNSW in Sydney, and fitness etc for WA at various places around where I live in UK.
Any q's, just give us a shout!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by I wan tee go oz
Hi,
Good luck with your application with WA. There is a thread on expats for it.
Did my fitness for ASNSW in Sydney, and fitness etc for WA at various places around where I live in UK.
Any q's, just give us a shout!
Thanks, I had an application in the making for SJA WA but hadn't sorted out electronic copies of qualifications in time so was too late! To be honest, we were more interested in QAS and although they're now scaling back their recruitment, I still feel that this would be a better option for us as a family.
We were looking at Townsville type of location which apparently is still open to international applicants.

Any help about the location or the process from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Had an e-mail from Hannah at ASNSW today, stating still no progress with the LA.
She said they are as frustrated as everyone including the nursing profession who are affected as well.
They will continue to monitor the progress of the LA in 2011, and ASNSW haven't heard much from the NSW dept of health this year!
Sorry my news isn't very good at this festive time

Happy xmas everyone anyway
Old Dec 24th 2010, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

ukparamedic818 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wan tee go oz.

Just received an email re telephone interview for SJA WA in early new year. Have you got any tips on what sort of thing they´re likely to ask me? Seems a strange prospect having a telephone interview!! Is it just the usual stuff, personal qqualities and skills etc or are they expecting me to have done some groundwork into their service and regional initiatives etc?

I assume you work for NWAS like me? deserting a sinking ship springs to mind eh!!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 24th 2010, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ukparamedic818
I wan tee go oz.

Just received an email re telephone interview for SJA WA in early new year. Have you got any tips on what sort of thing they´re likely to ask me? Seems a strange prospect having a telephone interview!! Is it just the usual stuff, personal qqualities and skills etc or are they expecting me to have done some groundwork into their service and regional initiatives etc?

I assume you work for NWAS like me? deserting a sinking ship springs to mind eh!!

Thanks
Well done ukparamedic818. Telephone interviews aren't as daunting as they sound but extra care needs to be made to avoid accidentally interrupting.
I've not got to that hurdle yet with my application. I'm waiting to get the Christmas madness over with.
A friend of mine said take care with differences in terminology. He was asked a question about his management of APO (acute pulmonary oedema). He only knows it as LVF and so after some clarification he was able to answer appropriately. I get the imprsession they know when their terminology might need explaining but just to try to give an early heads up so you don't feel silly.
Good luck.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ukparamedic818
I wan tee go oz.

Thanks
Hi, congrats on the interview, yep, I'm an NWAS para, been after emigrating for some time now! I don't want to hijack this thread with WA serv as its for ASNSW
I'll post my reply on the Western Australia Ambulance Service/SJAA thread

Cheers,
Phil
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

holly32 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is probably a stupid question and I am expecting the answer to be no but do the Australian ambulance services (in any state) except oversees applicants onto their trainee schemes in order to become a paramedic.

I currently have no qualifications in this area. I would be looking to move over in about 1.5 years when I am finished my current degree in college. By then I would be able to complete a private EMT course and have some experience with a voluntary ambulance service.

Thanks
Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Originally Posted by holly32
This is probably a stupid question and I am expecting the answer to be no but do the Australian ambulance services (in any state) except oversees applicants onto their trainee schemes in order to become a paramedic.

I currently have no qualifications in this area. I would be looking to move over in about 1.5 years when I am finished my current degree in college. By then I would be able to complete a private EMT course and have some experience with a voluntary ambulance service.

Thanks
If you are already in the country and have an permanent visa, then you can apply to join in exactly the same way as Joe Public.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

SPHYGOFTHEDUMP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

I am yet another guy looking for advice. I live in Ireland (although I am British)and there is a different setup to UK with regards training to Paramedic level.
UK guys are better trained than us but we have a wider scope of practice than a UK Tech. We are somewhere in the middle!
I am looking to move out to Aus as Ireland is slowly going down the toilet and any advice would be much appreciated. Me and the family really dont mind which state , whichever has the easiest application process!!

Did you guys apply for your visa first or apply for the job first? I know that sounds like a silly question but was just wondering. When qualified here (one year to go) I will have a diploma as opposed to a degree. I take it there is no point applying for anything untill qualified?

Does anyone know of any Paramedics in Aus who were trained in Republic of Ireland? Anyone at all? Are the Irish Paramedics recognised?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:03 am
Just Joined

evomedia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

My partner was a registered UK paramedic back in the UK with 10 years front line experience, she has just moved over to Sydney a week ago as I recently was transferred to my works Sydney office on a Sponsored 457 visa.

Obviously my partner and my little boy came with me on my Visa, and we were under the impression that she would be able to work here on my 457 visa and as Paramedics still seem in demand on the most wanted list that she would have few issues just applying for the service when we got here.

We seem to be wrong, after countless emails with no response she finally got someone on the phone from recruitment, the conversation basically went

"Hi I'm Amanda, I've recently arrived in the country, I'm a qualified Paramedic here on a 457 visa do you have any vacancies at present..."

Answer, "we know about 457 visas and won't employ you unless your a perminent resident" and they then put phone down on her without even waiting for her reply

As you can imagine she then called me in flood of tears...

Can someone give us some advice, as they were so rude to her she's basically lost as to what to do next. She loves the service and just wants some advice on if she needs to get another type of visa, or if they just won't recruit UK paramedics any more. Sure others here either work for the service or know the best process, she is already in Sydney and is feeling very lost without any friends around and has no idea how to put her 10 years of front line experience to good use. Seems madness to just discount highly qualified front line staff like this. So any help is desperately needed

Last edited by evomedia; Jul 14th 2011 at 4:07 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.