Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old May 27th 2007, 3:42 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Question NSW Ambulance service

Hi there. I am a Paramedic Supervisor based in the UK on a post A4C salary of £36,000 (USH included). I am considering applying to the NSW service. I would like to be based in the Sydney Metropolitan area.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me what I could expect?

I have heard that the wage is approx $86-100,000 for Paras. Is this right?

Does it take a long time to upgrade to Intensive Care Paramedic?

Basically anything anyone can tell me which would make my decision easier would be very much appreciated.
Old May 27th 2007, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Originally Posted by swigski
Hi there. I am a Paramedic Supervisor based in the UK on a post A4C salary of £36,000 (USH included). I am considering applying to the NSW service. I would like to be based in the Sydney Metropolitan area.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me what I could expect?

I have heard that the wage is approx $86-100,000 for Paras. Is this right?

Does it take a long time to upgrade to Intensive Care Paramedic?

Basically anything anyone can tell me which would make my decision easier would be very much appreciated.
Hi sorry don't know anything about NSW cos I'm off to Queensland with a load of other para's. Just wanted to say hi and welcome and also could be wrong but $86 - $100k sounds an awful lot. Only jobs I've seen advertised for para's in Oz with the salary are fly in fly out industrial paramedic jobs with mining companies. But loads of people on here so maybe someone can give you better info
Old May 27th 2007, 5:38 pm
skye

Hi

Read the Queensland Ambulance Service thread if you havnt already done so!

Also, as Sals says, the salary does seem rather high.... QAS are about $46k basic with enhancements on top..... Good luck!

Old May 28th 2007, 8:07 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Thanks for your replies. Hope all goes well for you in your move to Queensland. I have read the thread on QAS and just wish there was something similar for NSW.

The info I have received from NSW states that the base salary ranges from $40,871 to $47,535 gross, depending on years worked in role. Shift penalties, O/T and employer superann are in addition. Paramedics/Intensive Care Paramedics receive further $89.90 per week.

While income may vary depending on work location and roster pattern, most qualified Ambo Officers receive around $67,000 to $73,000 per annum gross. Paramedics/ICP receive around $86,000 to $100,000.

I have read the QAS site and they state $73,000 as an average for an ACP which I see is not strictly true. This is why I want to hear from NSW staff to see if the figure of 86-100$ is a fair reflection. Obviously, to move to Sydney with the cost of housing at present would require a wage of near $100,000 to get anywhere decent for my family, so is one of the biggestb factors in my decision.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Hayes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I am a paramedic in London and I am due to join ASNSW in September. Like you, I am still not entirely sure of pay etc but whilst over there for my interview I was quoted 4k take home per month (approx). That is for a paramedic doing no overtime. All OT is paid at double time.
Best of luck with applying.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:43 pm
Banned

Thanks Hayes. that 4k take home pay a month is also what I've heard from a friend of a friend who works in Sydney. O/T is plentiful apparently and if you do work it, you can take home more than 100k per annum. Where are you going to be based? What was the application process like and how long did it take for your job offer?
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:50 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

IN QLD the annual salary they have quoted is based on people who live at work, the rural people who do EA and break their fatigue etc who push the average up. Have a good look at house prices/cost of living/true salary without living at work and weigh it up mate.

I've accepted the backwards salary step for my kids future, I was certainly better off in the UK financially. I also had more automony/freedom to practice at work than I will in QLD.

Good luck

Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Hayes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Swigski
I applied to ASNSW last August and went over there in November. The whole selection process is the same for all candidates so therefore no clinical testing, although in the interview they will expect a bit more in your answers to the scenario based questions. There is also a driving test, map reading test and probably the most draining part, psychosymetric testing which was 600 questions. The part I dreaded the most before going was the interview but I actually found this okay. It helped that one of the guys interviewing me lived in London for a while and we chatted about football before commencing. The final part was a medical which was fairly thorough. It included a 'step test' which as I am not the fittest person in the world, I found quite tough. I found all the staff there very helpful and friendly and did their best to help me relax.
I do not know my posting yet although it will be in Sydney.
Best of luck and let me know if you need any more info.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Kangoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hayes
Hi Swigski
I applied to ASNSW last August and went over there in November. The whole selection process is the same for all candidates so therefore no clinical testing, although in the interview they will expect a bit more in your answers to the scenario based questions. There is also a driving test, map reading test and probably the most draining part, psychosymetric testing which was 600 questions. The part I dreaded the most before going was the interview but I actually found this okay. It helped that one of the guys interviewing me lived in London for a while and we chatted about football before commencing. The final part was a medical which was fairly thorough. It included a 'step test' which as I am not the fittest person in the world, I found quite tough. I found all the staff there very helpful and friendly and did their best to help me relax.
I do not know my posting yet although it will be in Sydney.
Best of luck and let me know if you need any more info.
Hi Hayes,

I've just recently put in my application to ASNSW. 600 questions! Will bring a spare pen. Quick question about the medical. Was colour vision assessed and if so to what level? Was it simply a matter of seeing the red and green dots or did they have those horrible spot the number among all the dots tests? As is probably quite apparent by this question I'm rubbish at those. I had to have a repeat medical when I started in the ambulance service many years ago but it's never affected my work since.

Would hate to get turned down on something this simple (and yes, I can see traffic lights before any one quips in!).

Cheers.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Has any body recently applied to NSW and what was the application process? Did you just have phone interview?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:25 am
Just Joined

otschi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody,
iam quite new in this discussion. I read alot at all kind of these pm threads.
after 13 years on the road in germany and switzerland id like to change.
does anybody has any informations about applicants from outside uk?
iam interested in applying for nsw, i heard they can offer you a sponsorship.
greets from the lake constance
otschi
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

Originally Posted by otschi
Hi everybody,
iam quite new in this discussion. I read alot at all kind of these pm threads.
after 13 years on the road in germany and switzerland id like to change.
does anybody has any informations about applicants from outside uk?
iam interested in applying for nsw, i heard they can offer you a sponsorship.
greets from the lake constance
otschi
Once you have applied for a job they will invite you to OZ for interview and exams. Exams are for about 3 days.

Good Luck
Old Nov 12th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Hi All

I submitted my application for NSW at the beginning of October 07, I am flying out to Sydney at the end of Jan 08 for the testing/interview. Anybody out there that can give me some insight of those 600 questions, the type of interview questions and anything else they are willing to share.
The help is much appreciated, many thanks

John
Old Nov 12th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

brookkat is an unknown quantity at this point

am i the only uk paramedic going to western australia???starting to feel very left out!!!!
hope i've not made the wrong choice........
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brookkat
am i the only uk paramedic going to western australia???starting to feel very left out!!!!
hope i've not made the wrong choice........
Maybe you are on here lol!
I can tell you that I've heard 6 are going to WA from the same station within Manchester but I'm sorry I don't know any of them. So I'm sure you won't be on your own

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.