Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NRMA recovery, which package?

NRMA recovery, which package?

Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

James_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really nice
Default NRMA recovery, which package?

Hi guys,

Just bought our first car in Sydney and been looking into insurance etc.....as it is a used car I am keen to get some sort of breakdown recovery.....NRMA seems to be the main provider? They have a 'classic' and 'premium' package, I will mainly be driving around the City, but will be going further afield at times....is the extra cash for the 'premium' worth it? Or are there any other providors?

Also this is the first car I haved owned for 12 years, as I had a company car in the UK. Any tips on how to keep the insurance down, considering my lack of no-claims.......not had any claims against me in UK for several years.

Many Thanks,

James
Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NRMA recovery, which package?

For donkeys years just had the classic and never had a problem. However after breaking down in my new car along the Hume and having to be towed and then paying for the onward tow, I upgraded to premium care and did the same for our methuselah car as well. So glad I did - it broke down 30km down a dirt road and 1km down a drive way (dirt) south of Delegate. Not only could the NRMA find it (mega kudos!) but they towed it to Canberra free of charge. I think their premium care is worth every cent because they would have paid a motel and hire car had we been stranded along with the car (we weren't fortunately). They also take care of your trailer if you have premium care. It's not like it is hugely expensive so if you are going out of town I can recommend it.

Edited to say, if you keep your policies with the same provider you get premium reductions.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:29 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Edited to say, if you keep your policies with the same provider you get premium reductions.
IMO, I think that is one of the biggest selling cons still going. Premiums still seem to keep increasing regardless as to how many years you have them, or even if you have a no claims bonus. Just like retail shops saying 20% off normal prices, when you have no real idea as to what "normal prices" actually were before the "reduction".
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
IMO, I think that is one of the biggest selling cons still going. Premiums still seem to keep increasing regardless as to how many years you have them, or even if you have a no claims bonus. Just like retail shops saying 20% off normal prices, when you have no real idea as to what "normal prices" actually were before the "reduction".
Well you can shop around and see what the market rate is and if someone will give two policies to you for less than the two separate ones then you win - a little bit. One never wins against an insurance company!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James_SC
... They have a 'classic' and 'premium' package, ...
When I first joined NRMA a long time ago, I'm a gold member now, the basic coverage was really good and with a breakdown or accident your car would be towed or transported to anywhere in Australia. Emergency accommodation was available as part of the insurance cover. I think Mondial, the travel insurance people offer an alternative to NRMA, there is someone else as well but you have to have your car serviced by them.