Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NRMA Car Insurance - Anyone else found this?

NRMA Car Insurance - Anyone else found this?

Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default NRMA Car Insurance - Anyone else found this?

Now we've bought ourselves a car I recently set about the process of finding a competitive insurance quote. I did online quotes for about seven companies in all, including Budget, Aami and the like. They were all pretty expensive - $2600 in Aami's case down to $1172 with Budget. So then I tried NRMA and they came in at $650. I phoned 'em up to clarify the fact that I didn't have any no-claims bonus and the lady said that that was because they didn't factor any no-claims into the quote - it was based purely on how long you'd been driving. Since I'd been driving for over 20 years (yes I probably could do with a leg stretch and a coffee break) I was given the highest rating and therefore a nice low quote. Is this common knowledge to you more experienced Oz motorists?
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:17 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NRMA Car Insurance - Anyone else found this?

Originally Posted by Hutch
Now we've bought ourselves a car I recently set about the process of finding a competitive insurance quote. I did online quotes for about seven companies in all, including Budget, Aami and the like. They were all pretty expensive - $2600 in Aami's case down to $1172 with Budget. So then I tried NRMA and they came in at $650. I phoned 'em up to clarify the fact that I didn't have any no-claims bonus and the lady said that that was because they didn't factor any no-claims into the quote - it was based purely on how long you'd been driving. Since I'd been driving for over 20 years (yes I probably could do with a leg stretch and a coffee break) I was given the highest rating and therefore a nice low quote. Is this common knowledge to you more experienced Oz motorists?
We went with NRMA for our car insurance first of all and then got a quote from http://www.budgetdirect.com.au/index.jsp which worked out to be $300 cheaper. Might be worth trying them too?

Edit: Sorry I just re-read your post which says that you've already had a quote from them - strange that they were more expensive for you? They took into account NCB for us - we had to send proof of ours into them after we took out the policy.

Last edited by tygwyn; Jul 19th 2006 at 10:19 am.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:23 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We both found Allianz gave the best quotes and took no claims into consideration. Did you guys try them?
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:27 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

NRMA quoted me practically double what everyone else did and that was with 18 years driving experience and full no claims!? Maybe it was because I was a woman? anyway, I settled with AAMI as they were the cheapest.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:20 am
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly the same experience as yours!

We insured a 03 Falcon Wagon for $337 with NRMA fully comp spouse and myself to drive which was way cheaper than everyone else.

We've both got full UK NCB (and brought documentary proof) but they said this was irrelevant and the low quote and our category 1 rating was based on experience (20 yrs driving), with no accidents & convictions.

Went with it as they're one of the biggest. Incidentally I see you are in NSW and have been told this is the most expensive state to insure anything in but I'm not sure why this should be.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Well we bought our 2nd vehicle yesterday. 1st was in March when we arrived. Told the insurance broker we has 13 years NCB and was given a Cat 1 and NO proof was needed! (altho I have proof)

I thought it was a one off but yesterday exactly the same, was given a Cat 1 without any proof of any NCB.

Both vehicles are insured fully comp and for any driver over 25 and both under $450 each ...

My advice is to say you have it even if you don't!

Crash or conviction in the last 5 years? ..... who me? .... no way! ...
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic

Crash or conviction in the last 5 years? ..... who me? .... no way! ...
lol mate - I did consider travelling that road but I had visions of the insurance company checking back in the UK if there was a prang.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

lol mate - I did consider travelling that road but I had visions of the insurance company checking back in the UK if there was a prang.
Yeah I guess to be on the safe side it wouldn't be a good move, but I'd DEF try the ole "yeah I've got 10 years NCB" back home.

I came with a certificate to prove my NCB but as I said haven't been asked to see it! ... might as well not have it!

Maybe it's all about how long you've been driving as a prev poster said, but that isn't checked out either!

All taken on 'word' maybe! ...
Old Jul 20th 2006, 12:28 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

We are with NRMA also, very happy.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 12:44 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah I guess to be on the safe side it wouldn't be a good move, but I'd DEF try the ole "yeah I've got 10 years NCB" back home.

I came with a certificate to prove my NCB but as I said haven't been asked to see it! ... might as well not have it!

Maybe it's all about how long you've been driving as a prev poster said, but that isn't checked out either!

All taken on 'word' maybe! ...
err, no probably not a good idea
even though they don't ask to see the proof up front, if it came down to paying out a claim they'll be more than interested in checking things I should think
then what?
Old Jul 20th 2006, 12:46 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I got a few quotes the cheapest for fully comp with guaranteed no claims bonus was AAMI and that was around the $400 mark, still haven't got round to getting it yet.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gedge
err, no probably not a good idea
even though they don't ask to see the proof up front, if it came down to paying out a claim they'll be more than interested in checking things I should think
then what?
I'd show my proof of NCB.