British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Nowhere stranger than Nundle... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nowhere-stranger-than-nundle-221179/)

MrsDagboy Apr 1st 2004 10:28 pm

1 Attachment(s)
My dad, on Buckenbong Station near Dubbo NSW, circa 1939

MrsDagboy Apr 1st 2004 10:30 pm

Originally posted by bundy
That'll be the powers that be trying to clamp down on our endless rambling
Nahhhh that would be me, being stooooopid & trying to attach a pic off another computer in our network & the forum software not liking it.

Honest, I do know where the start button is :rolleyes:

bundy Apr 1st 2004 10:32 pm

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
My dad, on Buckenbong Station near Dubbo NSW, circa 1939
Looks like he's trying to break that horse (in the equestrian sense, of course). Dubbo, eh?

Simone Apr 1st 2004 10:42 pm

Wow, 1939!! Cool!

And lol and wow at the phones!

Keep posting!!! (and I know there's more out there enjoying this!!)

MrsDagboy Apr 1st 2004 10:46 pm

Looks like he's trying to break that horse (in the equestrian sense, of course). Dubbo, eh?
I believe he was - that was part of his job :) .

Pretty sure Buckenbong (Buckingbong perhaps?) was between Dubbo & Wagga - there was a series of books written by a guy called FJ Thwaites called the Melody series. They were set on Buckenbong station. We have a couple of them - mum loved them because they used to live there, so she collected them.

bundy Apr 1st 2004 10:50 pm

I believe he was - that was part of his job :) .

Pretty sure Buckenbong (Buckingbong perhaps?) was between Dubbo & Wagga - there was a series of books written by a guy called FJ Thwaites called the Melody series. They were set on Buckenbong station. We have a couple of them - mum loved them because they used to live there, so she collected them.
That's pretty interesting. Wonder if you can still get the books...

Used to do a bit of horse-breaking myself. Blinkin' hard work. Got mates from Wagga and a couple from Dubbo, but haven't been out that way yet. That's for the return trip. Is the station still there, do you know?

MrsDagboy Apr 1st 2004 10:51 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Our water supply being fixed. For the uninitiated, a subartesian bore with a windmill to pump the water.

bundy Apr 1st 2004 10:57 pm

Our water supply being fixed. For the uninitiated, a subartesian bore with a windmill to pump the water.

A familiar sight...our water supply in the Prison was from a windmill powered pump. For some reason our intrepid and adventurous dog was pertified of the windmill...

WBB Apr 1st 2004 11:04 pm

i have been lurking on this thread for a while and just wanted to post some encouragement for you to keep em coming.

great pics and stories.

:)

MrsDagboy Apr 1st 2004 11:07 pm

That's pretty interesting. Wonder if you can still get the books...

Used to do a bit of horse-breaking myself. Blinkin' hard work. Got mates from Wagga and a couple from Dubbo, but haven't been out that way yet. That's for the return trip. Is the station still there, do you know?
Just looked it up, its Buckingbong & its near Narranderra. Close.

http://members.datafast.net.au/marrtronics/bucking.htm

The books have been out of print for many years I think, mums are old, I think she got at least one of them from a secondhand book shop.

bundy Apr 1st 2004 11:09 pm

Blimey, encouragement from WBB, we are honoured!!!

You never know MrsDB - we might visit the area when on our round-oz-in-a-tincan trip...

MrsDagboy Apr 1st 2004 11:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Our "shed" - used for everything from storing pieces of utes (as seen hanging up) to killing sheep & fixing motor bikes that we used for mustering. the tank stand to the left of the pic (you can just see the bottom of the tank in the pic, its white) is the one that fed the house, pumped from one of the dams. That tank at the front was being fixed for some reason (well doh, it had a hole in it dear Liza LOL :rolleyes: )

Badge Apr 1st 2004 11:13 pm

Dubbo was the halfway point to my property, Mrs D. Half-way from Sydney that is.

That piccy looks just like one of my paddocks.

Badge

bundy Apr 1st 2004 11:21 pm

Originally posted by badgersmount
Dubbo was the halfway point to my property, Mrs D. Half-way from Sydney that is.

That piccy looks just like one of my paddocks.

Badge

Still too dusty for me...need the lush and verdant pastures of Nundle (partic lush and verdant after the big flood in 2000)

MrsDagboy Apr 1st 2004 11:27 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Our water supply for the house. Luckily the water when we took this pic was nice & clean, not always so nice unfortunately.

We used the water from the dam for everything in the house, apart from cooking & drinking. Took 18 months of absolutely NO rain for the dam to get down to a muddy puddle with dead & rotting sheep carcasses in it . Having a shower wasnt such a pleasant experience then :rolleyes: . There was no option of using tank water for anything else apart from just drinking - when you only have 2 *rungs* on the tank left after 18 months without rain you even start to drink less :eek: .