Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nowhere stranger than Nundle...

Nowhere stranger than Nundle...

Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:30 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Right, Toompine is on the list of places to visit on our great australian road trip!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
It's a deal - if you come back here while will still here (ie before next summer), we'll take you to Newmarket. It's only a 15 minute drive from where we are. When are you next coming over???!!

Wombramurra, the property we were on, is pretty big, but there are bigger properties - one at 37,000, another at 36000. ANd just up the back of Nundle there's a property thats about 325,000. The there's Kerry Packer's place at Elliston, a couple of hours away, and that's something like 90,000. But you're right, there are a lot of hobby farms around Nundle too.
Yeah we went over to Newmarket when we were on our way back from visiting DBs mum & dad in Cambridge. We'll be over probably for about 5 weeks all up, about 2 weeks of it in & around cambridge, so we should have plenty of time to go do some things. We were planning on July, but not quite sure now because we may need to snaffle the money to buy a house, but if we do, it will be towards the end of the year, possibly Sept when the kids have more school hols.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:33 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Yeah we went over to Newmarket when we were on our way back from visiting DBs mum & dad in Cambridge. We'll be over probably for about 5 weeks all up, about 2 weeks of it in & around cambridge, so we should have plenty of time to go do some things. We were planning on July, but not quite sure now because we may need to snaffle the money to buy a house, but if we do, it will be towards the end of the year, possibly Sept when the kids have more school hols.
Well, I'm sure we'll still be here. I'd forgotten about the Cambridge connection. September's better than July anyway - less tourists around (including my lot here on summer schools) and it's in that quiet point before the main uni students come back and start cluttering the place up again.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:35 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

That would be the one Megs .

Duck creek Opal Mine was on the property directly to the north of us, went there plenty of times, not that there was much there .

Surprised that Yowah isnt on the map. Freaky seeing the names of neighbours .
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Well, I'm sure we'll still be here. I'd forgotten about the Cambridge connection. September's better than July anyway - less tourists around (including my lot here on summer schools) and it's in that quiet point before the main uni students come back and start cluttering the place up again.
How could you forget the connection, havent you seen his dad strutting around campus anytime lately? LOL

I dont think that June/July is a goer cos theres not enough time to organise what we want to do between now & then! And we now are off to Tassie for a week in the first week of June anyway, so its a bit much. I wanted July, but that was back in Jan, when I could get things organised. Also I want to buy a house now, so July would cramp us both timewise & financially. Sept is much better, but of course now Dagboy has suddenly decided that he'd like a trip back & it has to be soon .
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:50 am
She's a bird, you know

How could you forget the connection, havent you seen his dad strutting around campus anytime lately? LOL

I dont think that June/July is a goer cos theres not enough time to organise what we want to do between now & then! And we now are off to Tassie for a week in the first week of June anyway, so its a bit much. I wanted July, but that was back in Jan, when I could get things organised. Also I want to buy a house now, so July would cramp us both timewise & financially. Sept is much better, but of course now Dagboy has suddenly decided that he'd like a trip back & it has to be soon .
Well just remind him that he'll be wading through crowds of Japanese and American tourists, unable to enter any shop, pub, restaurant, college or street because of them and unable to walk, drive or cycle for more than a few inches without crashing into one of them and causing a massive headache for people like me who have to oversee their welfare! Plus everything costs more in July. September is nice and relaxed, the quietest of the summerish months and the only time at which true Cambridge citizens venture forth to enjoy their city for a month or so. Plus it's cheaper then. And there's still racing on at Newmarket.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:51 am
She's a bird, you know

Well just remind him that he'll be wading through crowds of Japanese and American tourists, unable to enter any shop, pub, restaurant, college or street because of them and unable to walk, drive or cycle for more than a few inches without crashing into one of them and causing a massive headache for people like me who have to oversee their welfare! Plus everything costs more in July. September is nice and relaxed, the quietest of the summerish months and the only time at which true Cambridge citizens venture forth to enjoy their city for a month or so. Plus it's cheaper then. And there's still racing on at Newmarket.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the SPanish and Italian language students who go everywhere en masse and cycle the wrong way up roads.

Don't think I've seen DB's dad about anywhere, although I haven't been here much recently and I live a hermitic existence in our offices in a stately home 4 miles out of town!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:57 am
Rocket Scientist

Oh, and I forgot to mention the SPanish and Italian language students who go everywhere en masse and cycle the wrong way up roads.

Don't think I've seen DB's dad about anywhere, although I haven't been here much recently and I live a hermitic existence in our offices in a stately home 4 miles out of town!
Ahhhhh yeah, of course, forgotten that you hadnt actually been there much. We were supposed to be going to discuss the house/holiday situation tonight, but of course that was before he got his head stuck into his laptop & started doing some work .

Which way out of town are you? Not that I will probably know it anyway, only know Ely & Willingham anyway.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:59 am
Rocket Scientist

I imagine Sept would be a lovly time of year over there, at least not as cold as middle of winter when I was there last time anyway .
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:04 pm
She's a bird, you know

Ahhhhh yeah, of course, forgotten that you hadnt actually been there much. We were supposed to be going to discuss the house/holiday situation tonight, but of course that was before he got his head stuck into his laptop & started doing some work .

Which way out of town are you? Not that I will probably know it anyway, only know Ely & Willingham anyway.
We live almost in the middle of town, just off Mill Road, near Kelsey Kerridge sports centre, parkside pools etc. We used to live out in a village, but I got sick of driving Mr B around all day (he never bothered to get his full licence in Oz, so he doesn't drive over here!)

And Sept is usual a good month weather wise, sometimes better than July when it seems to rain a lot in between small heatwaves (well, 26 degrees
)
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:19 pm
Rocket Scientist

We live almost in the middle of town, just off Mill Road, near Kelsey Kerridge sports centre, parkside pools etc. We used to live out in a village, but I got sick of driving Mr B around all day (he never bothered to get his full licence in Oz, so he doesn't drive over here!)

And Sept is usual a good month weather wise, sometimes better than July when it seems to rain a lot in between small heatwaves (well, 26 degrees
)
Ha, unless its near Kings College Chapel or that foot bridge over the river Im not likely to know it . But I meant where you were when you were at work in the stately home yadda yadda (©2004 Badgersmount) 4 miles out of town.

I'll try to remind him of the crowds etc & see if I can convince him to go later.

Gotta love this, we should start threads where we can just chat away by ourselves more often .
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:24 pm
She's a bird, you know

Ha, unless its near Kings College Chapel or that foot bridge over the river Im not likely to know it . But I meant where you were when you were at work in the stately home yadda yadda (©2004 Badgersmount) 4 miles out of town.

I'll try to remind him of the crowds etc & see if I can convince him to go later.

Gotta love this, we should start threads where we can just chat away by ourselves more often .

LOL!!! I think it's acceptable to hijack your own thread. I work at Madingley Hall, in the village of Madingley (unsurprisingly) which is near the American Cemetary...Here's a piccy
Attached Thumbnails Nowhere stranger than Nundle...-madingley.gif  
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

LOL!!! I think it's acceptable to hijack your own thread. I work at Madingley Hall, in the village of Madingley (unsurprisingly) which is near the American Cemetary...Here's a piccy
As I said, unsurprisingly as well , I dont know it. Oh well . Looks nice though, I so wish that I could pick up some of the houses over there & bring them here.

I just love the fact that either no one else is interested enough to wade through the waffle to the end (apart from Megs of course LOL), or they have already looked & couldnt be bothered to open the thread again to see what else has been said. Hijack away, I say, we have talked heaps about Nundle & living in the bush, this is a slight diversion only .
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:35 pm
She's a bird, you know

As I said, unsurprisingly as well , I dont know it. Oh well . Looks nice though, I so wish that I could pick up some of the houses over there & bring them here.

I just love the fact that either no one else is interested enough to wade through the waffle to the end (apart from Megs of course LOL), or they have already looked & couldnt be bothered to open the thread again to see what else has been said. Hijack away, I say, we have talked heaps about Nundle & living in the bush, this is a slight diversion only .
Indeed. Madingley is a pretty nice place - very English. Mr B plays cricket for the village team and it's all terribly British (so why they let an aussie in I don't know!)

Nothing this old in Nundle, of course, but there is the whole goldmining history which I find quite interesting. And having grown up in timber-framed medieval houses complete with drafts and damp, I'm actually quite a fan of a decent house with solid walls and temperature control!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sort of bored.. actually, no, I'm busy enough, but still interested enough to come in here everytime I see a new addition to see what pics and comments have been added...

I could add some 'outback' pics myself, but I'm at work!!

Carry on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.