Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now you've got the visa, but will you stay in Oz?

Now you've got the visa, but will you stay in Oz?

Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now you've got the visa, but will you stay in Oz?

What are your chances of settling Down Under?

Talking with some friends, it seems that the following interrelated factors could be important in determining whether you will settle:

A. the extent to which you believe that a life in Oz will be better than your existing life in UK. In most cases, your beliefs and how strongly you feel about them will be challenged (positive or negative) when you start living in Oz. And this factor is complicated when other family members have to be taken into account.

B. Your ability to manage change. If you like changing jobs frequently , moving houses or starting a business - you probably enjoy change.

Contrary to what most people like to believe, most of us do not like change. After all, if you are reasonably comfortable - eg have a good job, nice home -, what is the sensible reason to change jobs, let alone emigrate?

Managing change is all about managing emotions, not logic, so it's usually accompanied with emotional upsets. If 'A.' doesn't provide you with sufficient reasons to remain, going through the change process could scupper your immigration plans.
The 'change upset' can be reduced by doing things that are about committing to your new life - eg getting a job, buying a house, having a baby.

BTW, change doesn't start until you start living the '9-5' in Oz. Prior to that, it is just a big adventure.

C. time. The longer that you live in Oz, the greater the probability that you will remain in Oz long term
Old Apr 28th 2004, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Now you've got the visa, but will you stay in Oz?

Originally posted by MikeStanton
What are your chances of settling Down Under?

Talking with some friends, it seems that the following interrelated factors could be important in determining whether you will settle:

A. the extent to which you believe that a life in Oz will be better than your existing life in UK. In most cases, your beliefs and how strongly you feel about them will be challenged (positive or negative) when you start living in Oz. And this factor is complicated when other family members have to be taken into account.

B. Your ability to manage change. If you like changing jobs frequently , moving houses or starting a business - you probably enjoy change.

Contrary to what most people like to believe, most of us do not like change. After all, if you are reasonably comfortable - eg have a good job, nice home -, what is the sensible reason to change jobs, let alone emigrate?

Managing change is all about managing emotions, not logic, so it's usually accompanied with emotional upsets. If 'A.' doesn't provide you with sufficient reasons to remain, going through the change process could scupper your immigration plans.
The 'change upset' can be reduced by doing things that are about committing to your new life - eg getting a job, buying a house, having a baby.

BTW, change doesn't start until you start living the '9-5' in Oz. Prior to that, it is just a big adventure.

C. time. The longer that you live in Oz, the greater the probability that you will remain in Oz long term

Totally agree.

good post..
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:52 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I agree with all of this.

And would suggest another factor is the existence of family or friends to advise and support you in settling in Aus.

I feel I understand more about the pros and cons from long discussions with my sister in Adelaide; she also says that the hardest thing for her when she emigrated was not having anyone to "show her the ropes".

Fortunately for me, I have her to help me!

Elaine M
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:55 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You might just prefer good weather, swimming in the sea with great beaches, barbecues, laid back feel, seeing kangaroos from time to time.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:19 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
You might just prefer good weather, swimming in the sea with great beaches, barbecues, laid back feel, seeing kangaroos from time to time.
Works for me
Old Apr 29th 2004, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I was talking to a lady yesterday who is returning to the UK again. She's a bit of a boomerang, born in UK emigrated when she was about 4, over here for years then back to the UK a couple of years ago -lasted a year. Came back here about 18 months ago & now are going back. Main reasons - too much pressure in the education system here, her son is 8 & I'm afraid I couldn't agree less, also the weather, far too hot in summer apparently. That was one thing I was worried about but it was fine, a few days it was unpleasant but not as bad as I'd feared.
Also better job opportunites in UK - can agree with that one. However you've got to remember everyone's different & what works for one person doesn't for another.

I just think people should really weigh up the pros & cons before moving. People don't want to hear it though, it's exciting, an adventure and as we all know the grass is greener on the other side. The lady I was talking about though has lost so much money & is very bitter about that side of things.

You also hear about a lot of marriage break ups due to the strain of it all but you can't help wondering if it would have happened anyway. When things go wrong people are eager to blame being here too but shit happens, it could equally happen in the UK (well not being eaten by a shark I suppose!).

I hate change so I shouldn't be happy here, but I love it! We've had both good experiences so far & bad, but that's just life. I haven't really been "homesick" at all, just a couple of twinges nothing major. Main twinge was missing my friend's 40th birthday party -hate to miss a good party!

Loopy
Old Apr 29th 2004, 1:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

We're here for good. Nothing to go back to the UK for.

To paraphrase the Simpson's Drederick Tatum:

"That country is a dump. If you ever see me back there, you'll know I really [bleep]ed up bad."
Old Apr 29th 2004, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Same as Loopy really, not one for change at all, like to be secure and know all is well, that sort of thing so it was quite a gamble coming here I suppose.

So far it's worked, have nice friends, a home, work, good health and enjoy the lifestyle here and as long as we manage to hang onto that we will be fine.

The only thing that is different on my list to what we had in Uk is the lifestyle so I suppose as everyone keeps saying, that must be the reason to move here.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 2:15 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jobs and money,
Jobs and money,
Go together
Like a bee and honey
This I tell you brother
You must have one or the other
Jobs and money, jobs and money
Best not to substitute for a beach all sunny
Ask the local gentry
And they will say it's elementary

Try, try, try to separate them
It's an illusion
Try, try, try, and you will only come
To this conclusion

Jobs and money, jobs and money
Go together like a bee and honey
Dad was told by mother
You can't have a life without one or the other
Old Apr 29th 2004, 3:00 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

I feel a song coming on

jib
Old Apr 29th 2004, 3:47 am
Badge

To get an idea of A B and C, ideally everyone could do a WHV visa. A full year's trial. BUT MAKE SURE you live like Aussies. Do the 9-5, babysit, live in a spare room, so you don't even get the luxury of your own home and space, commute, foster business relationships, weekly shop etc. Do a normal job. This is what I did and it prepared me for Aussie life well.

That's the only way you can do it. Forget the beaches etc.

BM

Old Apr 29th 2004, 3:54 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount

That's the only way you can do it. Forget the beaches etc.

BM
I didn't do it like that. Am I doomed to return to the UK?

Jane
Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by JaneandJim
I didn't do it like that. Am I doomed to return to the UK?

Jane
I didn't do it like that either, and Yes, I did return to the UK,

but after being back there, I got back here as soon as I could

Old Apr 29th 2004, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Chance of happiness would depend on when you asked us.
First 6 months spending money, so much to do because its all new, Happy.
Balance of first year, OMG wages are low and its expensive here, what have we done, not so happy.
Year 2 all the relatives fly out for holiday, all so impressed house pool sunshine we would be mad not to be happy?
Year 3 Teenager now hates it, bored out of his mind, realise drugs in schools etc just as much as a problem here, but work is going so well, complex situation, not happy not unhappy torn really. All a bit bored with it really.
Year 4 relatives have now dried up, the've done the trip , we do a trip, very expensive airfares etc for 5 realise why aussies dont travel often at all, see lots we are missing by living in a very isolated country, main impression of UK, decade ahead very advanced, much better opportunitys for teen. But husband loves it in OZ, so hub happy, teen unhappy

And so it goes on, as your life and situations change your feelings about it dont remain the same and I bet that is why so many do end up doing the back and forth costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars. No easy answer because neither place will ever be perfect.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jad n rich
No easy answer because neither place will ever be perfect.
Absolutely correct with that point

It's a case of weighing up the Pro's and Con's, that is, if you get the chance to even try it here at all.

Some will prefer the UK, others will prefer here.

Some who can't get a visa to OZ, would be happy if they could get here.

Some of those who do get here will prefer to be in UK after a while.

Others will be happy to stay in UK, and not even try OZ

and some will get to OZ and never want to go back to the UK.

We are a mixed bunch aren't we.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.