Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now we're tenants, what can we get?

Now we're tenants, what can we get?

Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future
Default Now we're tenants, what can we get?

We moved in to place with no curtains in the main rooms, the estate agent said she'd sort it but its been over a week now, also she said she'd sort out having it sprayed for insects and have the pool sorted, none of this has happened.

Now we've noticed that many of the fly screens have holes in and some plank has painted over the smoke alarms so I cant test them.

I got a pool man out at my expense as we were sick of waiting and he showed us loads but also pointed out that the safety gate doesnt automatically shut properly and theres no resuscitation signs as well as the thing needing filters changed.

I need to go in there today with the initial checklist but can I quote any legislation or whatever that states she must get this stuff sorted within a particular timeframe, as she is definitely avoiding getting anything done.

Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:34 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Now we're tenants, what can we get?

Originally Posted by caleb2003
We moved in to place with no curtains in the main rooms, the estate agent said she'd sort it but its been over a week now, also she said she'd sort out having it sprayed for insects and have the pool sorted, none of this has happened.

Now we've noticed that many of the fly screens have holes in and some plank has painted over the smoke alarms so I cant test them.

I got a pool man out at my expense as we were sick of waiting and he showed us loads but also pointed out that the safety gate doesnt automatically shut properly and theres no resuscitation signs as well as the thing needing filters changed.

I need to go in there today with the initial checklist but can I quote any legislation or whatever that states she must get this stuff sorted within a particular timeframe, as she is definitely avoiding getting anything done.

Thanks
what state are you in? The pool fence needs sorting NOW!!! and they should do it...if the gate doesnt close itself it is illegal and you could get a hefty fine
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

tbh i didnt even notice the gate issue as it does shut unless you only open it slightly , he did though also point out that the garden gate wasnt properly secured so a child could get in to our garden and go in the pool, again illegal.

We're in the Sunshine coast

Last edited by caleb2003; Mar 11th 2007 at 10:50 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been waiting 6 months for our flysreens in the lounge and laundry rooms. They just came to fix the driveway when I sent a letter saying if I fell again because of the disrepair it wouldn't be me they were hearing from but my lawyer (I've fallen twice and hurt my knee quite badly the second time).
Now you're a tenant what can you expect? Basically to get shafted by your landlord.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by caleb2003
tbh i didnt even notice the gate issue as it does shut unless you only open it slightly , he did though also point out that the garden gate wasnt properly secured so a child could get in to our garden and go in the pool, again illegal.

We're in the Sunshine coast
you might find the answers here
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by biggy
you might find the answers here
and here

The smoke alarms I would say are an emergency repair and should be done TODAY
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, it looks as though theres an official form fo getting repairs done with a 7 day notice, so that may help on the screens, curtains etc.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Try a google search as I know here in WA we have something called the Tenants Advisory Service which gives free advice on all aspects of renting.

We had some issues of our own, I spoke to them, OH popped in with the lease so they could double check a few things and recommended I send a letter to the real estate setting out a few facts and asking for things to be sorted.

At first Real Estate lady was a bit off with me and asked who had told me such stuff and when I mentioned TAS her whole attitude changed on the subject and it was all sorted pronto!
Old Mar 13th 2007, 2:34 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

We had the pool gate thing as well.
With my experience get things down in writing especially about the pool. Email and then phone to say that you emailed as you want it documented. Keep a separate email file just full of correspondence to your rental agent. this is especially useful when you leave and they try to withhold your bond which has happened at least once to almost everybody I have met who have rented - including myself at the last rental.

Remember you have rights! I see it from both sides as we were landlords to our property in the UK - I wouldn't expect our tenants to put up with the things we have here.
LJJ