Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now it's the spiders!

Now it's the spiders!

Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now it's the spiders!

After my wife was really excited about emigrating and had come round to the idea, to go for it, she then goes and reads about these huntsman spiders, will someone help me convince her the country is not overun with them.
I know they are not poisonous but she read on here the other day about checking under chairs, sun visors on cars, behind curtains, she is absolutely terrified now :scared:

We are planning on going to Victoria, maybe Geelong or Mornington!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha ha
I was there for a year and it took me about 7 months to relax on the whole creepy crawley insect thing.
My worst nightmare was the cockroaches. One crawled over my face as I slept. It was huge, I thought my hair was on my face and tried to brush it off with my hand. Next thing I open my eyes and there's a huge ffing cockroach being propelled across the room as I scream insanely and wake the dead! My friend nearly swallowed one in a glass of coke she'd left lying around. (Put me right off Sydney that did!). I have more cockroach tales but I have to stop or I won't go back myself!
I preferred north australia as there are geeko's there which eat the crawlies. You just have to watch out for logs getting up and running towards you on the beach, or water buffalo which mash you against trees, not forgetting the box jellyfish, sharks and manta rays. Hey I just got pissed on gin and tonic to get rid of the mozzies and had a ball!!
I watched the Aborigines and chilled out. They walk around the bush in the dark no probs.
If you walk about and make loads of noise most things run away- so get her drunk and roudy!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:34 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hope she wasnt watching national geographic channel last night - a whole hour of huge spiders. been a lot of talk of s#####s on here lately, and it doesnt seem so scary now..............nyerahhahahaha!!!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Bye the way I agree with your wife, the Huntsman's spiders are horrible! 4 fell on my mate when we went camping- terrifying!!
I hid in the tent and zipped it up. She nearly had a heart attack.
I'm no hero with crawley's!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:43 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dicko,

I am one of the biggest arachnophobes in the world, and I'm not worried about moving to Brisbane. The way I figure it is this. If I'm scared of spiders in this country, why should I be any more scared of them in Australia? I've never been bitten by a spider here, so why should I get bitten there?

Also, I think that the huntsman only lives further north. I don't think you'll encounter them around Melbourne. Somebody on here is bound to correct me if I'm wrong.

Another point to make is, because there are more beasties there, here are also more insecticides. Spraying around the outside of the house should keep them at bay.

Hope this reassures!

Jane
Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:45 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Hi Dicko,

I am one of the biggest arachnophobes in the world, and I'm not worried about moving to Brisbane. The way I figure it is this. If I'm scared of spiders in this country, why should I be any more scared of them in Australia? I've never been bitten by a spider here, so why should I get bitten there?

Also, I think that the huntsman only lives further north. I don't think you'll encounter them around Melbourne. Somebody on here is bound to correct me if I'm wrong.

Another point to make is, because there are more beasties there, here are also more insecticides. Spraying around the outside of the house should keep them at bay.

Hope this reassures!

Jane
and dont forget the bombs (as previously discussed in another spider thread!!)
Old Oct 18th 2003, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Spent 5 months in Brisbane-- not saying a word!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:12 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Hi Dicko,

Hope this reassures!
hate to correct you but yes there is huntsman spiders in melbourne...big buggers n all

Jane
Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:20 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joanne,

The Melbourne tourism book I've got didn't mention them, that's why I assumed they weren't there. I stand corrected!

Jane
Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:21 pm
Born to be ignored

Sorry Johanne,

Got your name wrong!

Jane
Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:23 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I'll do it ~!!!!

Huntsman can be found all over oz......and wait for it.....are MORE common in southern areas!!!

THey really are nothing to owrry about though. They are very timid and will scarper as soon as they see you.

Don't bother trying to use insectisides on them tho....it'll just piss em off. Put a glass over the top of it and slide some card underneath. NO WORRIES

Pete.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:26 pm
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by PeteY
I'll do it ~!!!!

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Johanne already did!

Jane
Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:34 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hi Pete,

Johanne already did!

Jane
Do'h. Too late. Story of my life!

Seriously though. The spiders are somthing you should respect out there, but they are nothing to get in a pickle about
Old Oct 18th 2003, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Spiders?

Come to NZ-the spider situation is no worse than the UK.

AND=To cap it all you have two varieties of snakes in England, one venomous Viper/Adder family, one grass snake.

We here in NZ-- snake population? Zero/zilch/nader/none/not any!! Other than politicians of course.
Old Oct 18th 2003, 9:13 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Hi Pete,

Johanne already did!

Jane
sod that idea, they get pissed off to easy for my liking, they rear up and try to bite you...sorry but i wont go near the fat pigs...make my skin crawl..
:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.