Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now it's the spiders!

Now it's the spiders!

Old Oct 18th 2003, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spiders

Originally posted by johanne
sod that idea, they get pissed off to easy for my liking, they rear up and try to bite you...sorry but i wont go near the fat pigs...make my skin crawl..
:scared:

Well thanks everyone but I better hadn't let her read this thread just yet I suppose I knew all about the spiders but hey I'm not bothered as long as there are no deadly bees or wasps:scared:
are there?
Old Oct 18th 2003, 9:22 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default Re: Spiders

Originally posted by Dicko
Well thanks everyone but I better hadn't let her read this thread just yet I suppose I knew all about the spiders but hey I'm not bothered as long as there are no deadly bees or wasps:scared:
are there?
well while we are on the subject, there is the deadly african wasp only joking, dont worry about it i lived in melbourne and never saw anything poisonous...
johanne
Old Oct 18th 2003, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

I have to add that i am petrified of these ...the only thing worse than spiders for me are daddy long legs...i.e. spiders that can fly!!!! Not sure if i can handle ones that will "rear up and attack" me though...YUK!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
I have to add that i am petrified of these ...the only thing worse than spiders for me are daddy long legs...i.e. spiders that can fly!!!! Not sure if i can handle ones that will "rear up and attack" me though...YUK!

how do you feel about huge flying cockroaches?
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:08 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Have any of you experienced a bogon moth plague. For a couple of weeks the flat was full of the buggers. Squishing was not a good idea as they have big fat bodies that create a big mess. Shutting the windows is not an option either.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

see next post.
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

Huntsman spiders are no real problem - as they only come out at night - and if you have good fitting fly screens you will hardly ever get any in your house.
And if you should - the time tested method to get rid of them if you cannot just grab one in your hand and chuck it outside is to get your trusty old vacuum cleaner and suck it up with the pole - the spider will die all covered in the dust - though you can always just leave the spider on your wall as they will not go near you and are good at getting rid of flies and such ! Though they can be damn big I must admit !!!

though can always be worse..
http://old.smh.com.au/news/0102/22/n...ational24.html

Originally posted by Barbara 2003
how do you feel about huge flying cockroaches?
Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:30 am
WBB

spiders are ok and nothing to worry about, they have tiny bodies and are far more likely to do a sharp harp the minute they see you than attack, it is just the hairy legs that look creepy.

Old Oct 19th 2003, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SeanH
Huntsman spiders are no real problem - as they only come out at night - and if you have good fitting fly screens you will hardly ever get any in your house.
And if you should - the time tested method to get rid of them if you cannot just grab one in your hand and chuck it outside is to get your trusty old vacuum cleaner and suck it up with the pole - the spider will die all covered in the dust - though you can always just leave the spider on your wall as they will not go near you and are good at getting rid of flies and such ! Though they can be damn big I must admit !!!

:scared: :scared: :scared: well thanks for that story I am now retracting my application immediately
no seriously though this is quite a good post and the info is invaluable to someone who doesnt know as you only think of major things when you emigrate and this is just a small problem that has to be faced up to by my family that you are prepared for before you go!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough
Default No doubt they look a nightmare!

Its been 13 months now since we immigrated to Oz. Used to have nightmares before coming here about them creepy crawlies. But honestlly havent yet had a nasty meeting with any except once. It was huge, brownish 4 inches diameter sitting on the wall. Had to gather all my guts to bring down a roll of newspaper and there it was scattered on the wall! Just the last second before i squashed it it appeared for a second as if the monster was going to jump at me. The next day morning went to superarket and got meself the most lethal spider spray. Havent yet had a chance to find out how effective it is, yet.
The problem would be to know that you have a spider somewhere in the room, but you cant find it!!!!!!!!!!

But on the other hand we have the most glamorous forms of creepy crawlies here (which i saw in a pet-shop).
Cheers

gunitm
Old Oct 19th 2003, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SeanH

I'm sorry SeanH, did you say grab one in your hand...ARE YOU TOTALLY MAD?????!!!!!!! Sorry the thought of grabbing a large wriggly spider in my hand makes me go all unnecessary. The only bit of advice I've been given about Huntsman spiders is never squash 'em cos they make an awful mess on the wall YEEUUKK!
I've also heard you can get a spider catcher thingy from (surprisingly enough LOL) www.spidercatcher.com.au ......... I'm gonna give that one a whirl or alternatively I'll just shout "MARC, THERE'S A BL***Y GREAT BIG SPIDER IN HERE:scared: , SAVE ME PLEASE!"

Claire

Soon to be braving the spiders of Brisbane
Old Oct 19th 2003, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Foggies
I'm sorry SeanH, did you say grab one in your hand...ARE YOU TOTALLY MAD?????!!!!!!! Sorry the thought of grabbing a large wriggly spider in my hand makes me go all unnecessary. The only bit of advice I've been given about Huntsman spiders is never squash 'em cos they make an awful mess on the wall YEEUUKK!
I've also heard you can get a spider catcher thingy from (surprisingly enough LOL) www.spidercatcher.com.au ......... I'm gonna give that one a whirl or alternatively I'll just shout "MARC, THERE'S A BL***Y GREAT BIG SPIDER IN HERE:scared: , SAVE ME PLEASE!"

Claire

Soon to be braving the spiders of Brisbane
I'm getting one of those, as soon as we get our visa!!! I also identify with the cockroach thingy - when my parents bought their house in Greece, we found one and it squeeled when I squashed it- needed a good squash too, to finish it off!
Larissa
Who had loads of nightmares about cockroaches that year!
Old Oct 19th 2003, 8:43 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

For bedtime reading.

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Aussies

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Kiwis

Take Care!: Poisonous Australian Animals

Dangerous Creatures of Australia (Green Guide)
Old Oct 19th 2003, 10:45 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now it's the spiders!

Originally posted by Dicko
After my wife was really excited about emigrating and had come round to the idea, to go for it, she then goes and reads about these huntsman spiders, will someone help me convince her the country is not overun with them.
I know they are not poisonous but she read on here the other day about checking under chairs, sun visors on cars, behind curtains, she is absolutely terrified now :scared:

We are planning on going to Victoria, maybe Geelong or Mornington!
tell yer missu,s, cleaned up around the yard today, saw aleast 6 huntsman , and i,m still alive, after watching that pommie show with all the car chases, and some of the drivers you have over there, i know where i feel safer...........
Old Oct 19th 2003, 12:37 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
Have any of you experienced a bogon moth plague. For a couple of weeks the flat was full of the buggers. Squishing was not a good idea as they have big fat bodies that create a big mess. Shutting the windows is not an option either.
Heard about em, but not seen them.

When i was out there i did experience a locust swarm. Was absolutly incredible, the sky literally nearly went plack. Wa'nt pleasant though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.