Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now Four Years to Citizenship

Now Four Years to Citizenship

Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:07 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now Four Years to Citizenship

Just heard on Sky News that the govt. has passed the bill to the citizenship act requiring 4 years as PR before you can apply for citizenship.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:24 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Four Years to Citizenship

Originally Posted by renth
Just heard on Sky News that the govt. has passed the bill to the citizenship act requiring 4 years as PR before you can apply for citizenship.
And here's a link:

http://www.skynews.com.au/story.asp?id=156448

ETA: And, if you're particularly bored, here's a link to the Dynamic Red from yesterday, too:

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/DynamicRed/Index.html

Last edited by Geordie George; Feb 26th 2007 at 8:35 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
And here's a link:

http://www.skynews.com.au/story.asp?id=156448

ETA: And, if you're particularly bored, here's a link to the Dynamic Red from yesterday, too:

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/DynamicRed/Index.html
Does anyone know if this affects people who've already been here 6 months on PR and were planning on applying for citzenship in 2009?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:43 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite
Does anyone know if this affects people who've already been here 6 months on PR and were planning on applying for citzenship in 2009?
Not had time to read everything yet (still way to early to be doing that!), but here's one link that might be useful:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/law-an...irementsQA.htm
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

Just have to add that if you are really serious about becoming citizens does it matter if its 2/4/10 years?

Sally
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:12 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommie Granite

From web site:

Will they affect current permanent residents?
The proposed residence requirements would only apply to people who become permanent residents on or after commencement of the legislation.

People who are permanent residents before the commencement of the new legislation would only need to meet the current residence requirements (presence in Australia as a permanent resident for periods amounting to two years in the last five years including one year in the last two immediately prior to making the application) provided they applied within three years from the day the legislation commences.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:18 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barron Fam
Just have to add that if you are really serious about becoming citizens does it matter if its 2/4/10 years?

Sally
Of course it matters!..............to some.
PR residents don't have the right to vote. Would you want to live in a country, working and pay taxes, where you had no say in what your taxes were spent on for ten years?
Would you want to be unable to work in your chosen field because the law dictates that PR's cannot work in that employment?
How about spending ten years living in limbo because the next government may just decide to kick out all the non-nationals?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

The changes are good for me because it recognises the time I spent here as temp resident. For us it means that we only have to do 1 year as a PR before being eligible to apply. Great news.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Of course it matters!..............to some.
PR residents don't have the right to vote. Would you want to live in a country, working and pay taxes, where you had no say in what your taxes were spent on for ten years?
Would you want to be unable to work in your chosen field because the law dictates that PR's cannot work in that employment?
How about spending ten years living in limbo because the next government may just decide to kick out all the non-nationals?
For me its just security of tenure. PR makes me nervous - kind of feel a security climate could reverse any decision.

I wanted citizenship as soon as and applied on the day I first became eligible.

Having said that, there was never any doubt as to my motive.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Anybody know the date of implementation?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barron Fam

Sally
Yes it does. Your prohibited from certain government jobs as a PR, cant vote and as Badge mentioned its a kind of sense of belonging and security. To finally say you are "Australian" rather than a convoluted I'm British but a PR.

That said I think its a good thing on the other hand since it might stop the peoplle who stick out two years just so they can get a blue passport when they never had any intention of staying or making contributions to the country.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:44 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windog
Anybody know the date of implementation?
I belive it is effective immediately, now that the legislation has been passed. but i am sure that someone with more knowledge that me on the subject will correct me if i'm wrong

Sam
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:51 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what they class as a Permanent Resident?

Is it having a PR visa granted - or does it have to be validated - or do you have to be living in Australia?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:27 pm
I'm watching YOU...

Originally Posted by ws99
Does anyone know what they class as a Permanent Resident?

Is it having a PR visa granted - or does it have to be validated - or do you have to be living in Australia?
If you are not already in the country you have to have lived here for 4 (full) out of 5 years from when PR visa granted to be able to apply for citizenship, or if you are already here its 2 (full) out of 5 years.

Sam
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:22 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
The changes are good for me because it recognises the time I spent here as temp resident. For us it means that we only have to do 1 year as a PR before being eligible to apply. Great news.
Unless you are already a PR. In that case (as I read the website) then you will have to meet the requirements of the old legislation - i.e. 2 years as PR.

In my case, I have been here for nearly 6 years, but only PR since September, so as far as I can tell, I will not be eligible for citizenship until Sept 08.

Ah well - I was not going anywhere anyway...

Cheers,

DagBoy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.