Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:16 am
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all
Unhappy Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

I've been in Australia 9 years, have citizenship, but never got round to getting an Australian passport.

Something has happened in the UK and I'm considering a trip back.

I just checked and my UK passport expires in December.
I never had any plans to renew by UK passport, and will get an Australian one.

But, before then, If I go, it'll be a quick visit (one week)...

Do Australia immigration care if I leave on a UK passport only valid for a few more months?

Do the UK care?

Thanks in advance...
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate
I've been in Australia 9 years, have citizenship, but never got round to getting an Australian passport.

But, before then, If I go, it'll be a quick visit (one week)...

Do Australia immigration care if I leave on a UK passport only valid for a few more months?

Do the UK care?

Thanks in advance...
The UK doesn't care how long your UK passport is valid for. It's the trying to get back to Australia and transiting that will cause problems. An Australian citizen must enter Australia on their Australian passport so you will need to get one before you try to come back. Also check the requirements of any countries you are transiting in as some require 6 months validity.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Australian immigration probably don't. The problem is you can't fly to the UK non-stop...yet. The transit country may have a 6 month validity requirement and this could result in you being denied boarding to your flight.

Remember also that you don't have an Aus visa...so you may face difficulties boarding a flight back to Australia...obviously you will need evidence of your Australian citizenship but you could still have problems.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

DIBP state that Australian citizens must leave and re-enter Australia on their Australian passports. By paying a priority fee, you can obtain your Oz passport in a few days. If your urgent travel is due to the death or serious illness of an immediate family member, you can apply to have the priority fee waived. Further information here https://www.passports.gov.au/urgenta...s/default.aspx

I hope everything's ok, urgent travel isn't usually for nice reasons and it's something most expats face at some stage Best of luck.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Call your local passport office and arrange an appointment. They can arrange a passport on the day. When I became a citizen, it was a Thursday night, so arranged an appointment for Friday morning and had my passport lunch time Friday - I was flying out to work so needed my first Oz passport.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need your Australian passport to travel, both because Australia requires it and because most of the countries you are likely to transit through require a minimum validity period of six months. Providing your British passport is valid when you enter the UK you won't need to renew it beforehand although it would be advisable to do so when you return to Australia for any future emergencies.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

So technically speaking you need an Aus passport to leave and re-enter Australia. And if its humanly possible you need to get one by booking an emergency appointment.
Also technically they can refuse you boarding because countries like Singaore require a 6 month validity.

In practice - all of which has been tried and tested over the years by forum members......
You won't be denied boarding on the '6 month; grounds as long as you are only transiting and not doing a stopover. If you do not need to cross the line and enter the country concerned, you are OK.
You can exit on a British passport, though they may frown at you. However to board a flight back to Aus you need to prove you have the right papers to enter, and you can't use your visa its not valid now. So what others have done i the past is to arrive early for check-in, explain the situation, and produce the passport with proof of the expired visa, AND proof of your citizenship. The airline can verify your status with Canberra, but be prepared for a wait.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 12:54 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Thank you everyone.

I had a feeling there would be issues/technicalities involved.

Taking all this in, if I was to make the trip I'd try the "fast tracked" Australian Passport option - but think even that will take too long...

So think I'll just get our Australian passports sorted sometime soon.

Cheers.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

I know you said that you have no plans to renew your British passport, but given the fact that you are going back to the UK, you may just as well renewing your British passport when you are in the UK. You can get a Premium appointment at a passport office and get your new passport in four hours time. Please see link below for details -

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently
Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone.

Taking all this in, if I was to make the trip I'd try the "fast tracked" Australian Passport option - but think even that will take too long...

Cheers.
In the link I posted, the time given for getting your passport using the priority service is two days. You probably wouldn't get a flight before then.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 12:54 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Jus thinking outside the box..you could apply for your Aussie passport in the UK and wait for it to be issued before returning?

it's worth investigating!

Ali
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:27 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone.

Cheers.

What city are you in? I got my Australian passport in 24 hrs by attending the passport office in Sydney. Booked an appointment for an interview and photos and they turned it around in 24 hours.

I believe that UK passports are exempt from the 6 month rule for transit through the US, but this doesn't solve your problems getting back into Australia.

Bite the bullet, and head to your closest passport office and see if they can turn it around for you quickly.

S
Old Aug 31st 2017, 9:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Jus thinking outside the box..you could apply for your Aussie passport in the UK and wait for it to be issued before returning?

it's worth investigating!

Ali
That would require a face-to-face interview at Australia House in central London and cost twice as much as getting it done in Oz. Better to get it done before they go.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The UK doesn't care how long your UK passport is valid for. It's the trying to get back to Australia and transiting that will cause problems. An Australian citizen must enter Australia on their Australian passport so you will need to get one before you try to come back. Also check the requirements of any countries you are transiting in as some require 6 months validity.

Hi The UK do care about how long you have on your passport if travelling outside of Europe you need 6 months on your passport.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi The UK do care about how long you have on your passport if travelling outside of Europe you need 6 months on your passport.
The UK doesn't. The countries to which you travelling to or transiting through might.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.