Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Old Sep 15th 2017, 2:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That would require a face-to-face interview at Australia House in central London and cost twice as much as getting it done in Oz. Better to get it done before they go.
Oh yes. Went through that rigmarole in the UK a few months ago. Cost of passport renewal plus priority processing plus return train ticket Liverpool - London - Liverpool made it what must be the most expensive renewal in the world!
Old Sep 15th 2017, 1:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now Aus Citizen, only have UK passport that's only valid for 4 months...

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi The UK do care about how long you have on your passport if travelling outside of Europe you need 6 months on your passport.
As has previously been mentioned, not necessarily.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Cairnstony is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you've said that you are thinking of letting your UK passport lapse, but consider the possibility that you could face having to go back to the UK again at short notice.

I decided pretty early on to keep my UK passport current indefinitely as it does save hassle at the UK end if you are entering that country with a UK passport. The alternative is queueing with all the other non-EU citizens. With the current climate in the UK towards immigration in general, you may wish to consider keeping your UK passport current too to save yourself any potential hassle and to enter the country quicker which after the insanely long journey from Aus is certainly useful.

You can leave and enter Aus on your Aus passport and enter and leave the UK on your British one. I've done that three times now with no problems.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 5:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cairnstony
I know you've said that you are thinking of letting your UK passport lapse, but consider the possibility that you could face having to go back to the UK again at short notice.

I decided pretty early on to keep my UK passport current indefinitely as it does save hassle at the UK end if you are entering that country with a UK passport. The alternative is queueing with all the other non-EU citizens. With the current climate in the UK towards immigration in general, you may wish to consider keeping your UK passport current too to save yourself any potential hassle and to enter the country quicker which after the insanely long journey from Aus is certainly useful.

You can leave and enter Aus on your Aus passport and enter and leave the UK on your British one. I've done that three times now with no problems.
It really is no hassle entering the UK on an Australian passport. Last time I went to the UK, the queue for non-EU was shorter and I got through quicker
Old Sep 16th 2017, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Cairnstony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It really is no hassle entering the UK on an Australian passport. Last time I went to the UK, the queue for non-EU was shorter and I got through quicker
I'm sure that's the case for some people, but I know a lot of people whom have experienced the exact opposite. In fact I was talking to cadman's (remember him?) wife today at work and she described precisely the hassle I was referring to from her last trip home.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 12:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I have a British passport and my other half has an Australian passport. I always wait at least 15-20 minutes for her to pass through passport control at Heathrow after I've gone through the ePassport gates.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 3:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Queue's always been shorter in the non-EU line at Manchester airport for us too.
Scouse handed his British passport over at Emirates check-in a couple of days ago, which of course was refused as he didn't have a visa for Oz. The check in staff member looked at my Oz passport and told him she hoped he had one of those too, or he wasn't going anywhere At which point he sheepishly handed over his Australian passport.
Nice weather in this part of world now, Zulu!
Old Sep 16th 2017, 8:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I have a British passport and my other half has an Australian passport. I always wait at least 15-20 minutes for her to pass through passport control at Heathrow after I've gone through the ePassport gates.
That's my experience at Heathrow now too, much much quicker now they have the epassport gates in place.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

How would you get back to Aus with only a Brit passport ? Does it have any entries to show that you have Aus residence ?
Old Sep 17th 2017, 2:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
How would you get back to Aus with only a Brit passport ? Does it have any entries to show that you have Aus residence ?
If someone turns up at Checkin with only a British passport then the check-in staff verifies their status with DIBP (Aus immigration).
If the person is a dual citizen and just doesn't have an Aus passport they may be allowed to board after phone calls to verify the position with DIBP in Canberra. .
However if all one has is residence, not citizenship, then the visa is electronically linked to the passport and when check-in staff scan the passport they can see the visa details on their screen.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's my experience at Heathrow now too, much much quicker now they have the epassport gates in place.
I couldn't use my Australian passport at the e-gates at Manchester although UK passport holders can use them at Australian airports

Hopefully that's changed now
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Queue's always been shorter in the non-EU line at Manchester airport for us too.
Scouse handed his British passport over at Emirates check-in a couple of days ago, which of course was refused as he didn't have a visa for Oz. The check in staff member looked at my Oz passport and told him she hoped he had one of those too, or he wasn't going anywhere At which point he sheepishly handed over his Australian passport.
Nice weather in this part of world now, Zulu!
Yes, Manchester airport is a doozy to get in and out of but that's the only thing it has going for it - the place is a f**king dump. Hopefully some long overdue redevelopment has now happened

Great weather this weekend. I'm varnishing the doors on one of our upstairs balconies and the weather is perfect for it - although the job is as boring as batshit
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:40 am
Concierge

Yes, Manchester airport is a doozy to get in and out of but that's the only thing it has going for it - the place is a f**king dump. Hopefully some long overdue redevelopment has now happened

Great weather this weekend. I'm varnishing the doors on one of our upstairs balconies and the weather is perfect for it - although the job is as boring as batshit
The Emirates lounge there is nice!

Three benefits to you varnishing the balcony - fresh air/sunshine, your house will thank you for maintaining it so well, and the most important of all - the missus will be happy
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The Emirates lounge there is nice!

Three benefits to you varnishing the balcony - fresh air/sunshine, your house will thank you for maintaining it so well, and the most important of all - the missus will be happy
Happy wife, happy life is very apt in my situation

Yes, minister of war and finance thinks the doors look great

Welcome home
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully that's changed now
You can (if you meet some conditions), but only if you pay for the privilege! 70 quid to sign up for the first year and 50 a year to renew.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.