Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Novice. Medicare????

Novice. Medicare????

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Am here!!!!! Beautiful sunny coast! On Oct induction :-))))))
scottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Novice. Medicare????

Hi there. Reading thro medicare stuff. Private ins I gather? Do we get some free on arrival (ever hopeful). Could someone explain the basics please?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:14 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novice. Medicare????

Originally Posted by scottie
Hi there. Reading thro medicare stuff. Private ins I gather? Do we get some free on arrival (ever hopeful). Could someone explain the basics please?
"Medicare" is *not* private health insurance. It's the Australian version of the National Health Service.

If you come to Oz on a PR visa you are entitled to all the Medicare benefits from day 1.

When you go to a doctor who "bulk bills", then a trip to the GP costs you nothing. If the doctor doesn't bulk bill, you pay the "gap". That's the different between what the doctor charges and the charge set by Medicare.

Hospital treatment in public hospitals is free.

Similarly to the UK, there is a kind of post code lottery as to the level of free care you get, i.e. in some states it's better than in others.

That's a very basic, simplified summary of Medicare.

You can take out private health insurance as well (like in the UK).

Gina
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Gina. We still got a real lot 2 learn and not a lot of x to do it. Kinda concentrating on houses n stuff just now....oh, and visa and job. Love it!!!! Can't wait 2 get there!!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

As a UK national you will be assured of basic necessary medical treatment anyway as part of the reciprocal agreeement so if you fall down the steps getting off the plane and break your leg, you would be treated free because you are a Pom.

You will be paying medicare at the rate of 1.5% of your taxable income every year - it will adjust itself when you fill in a tax return in July of every year otherwise it just appears to come out of your pay packet as part of your tax.

If you are on a temporary resident visa then you will need to take out private medical cover on top of medicare - ball park about $250 a month for a family because that is what you are expected to do to cover more than the immediate necessary medical treatment.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottie
Here's some more info:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/about/index.jsp

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-aus...r-medicare.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_%28Australia%29
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks,
Gonna check out links whilst eating my toast and vegimite
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been to the Doctors a few times in the last few weeks and each time I go the payment method is different although seems to end up with one of two final outcomes -you pay $18ish or nothing. The different scenarios have been -

1. Pay $50 up front - go to a Medicare office and get $32 back.
2. Pay nothing - the Doctor decides to 'bulk bill.
3. Pay the 'gap' fee of $18 - the Doctor claims his $32 from Medicare.
4. Pay nothing and then I get a cheque from Medicare for $32 - payable to the Doctor. I'm sure I should have paid $18 there somewhere?
5. Pay $50 and the receptionist said Medicare will send a cheque payable to me for $32.
6. Pay $50 and send the claim form and receipt by post to Medicare and get the $32 paid into your bank account. That's the same as No1 really - just couldn't be arsed to go to the Medicare Office.

Anyone got any other possibilities?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lele.juggins
I have been to the Doctors a few times in the last few weeks and each time I go the payment method is different although seems to end up with one of two final outcomes -you pay $18ish or nothing. The different scenarios have been -

1. Pay $50 up front - go to a Medicare office and get $32 back.
2. Pay nothing - the Doctor decides to 'bulk bill.
3. Pay the 'gap' fee of $18 - the Doctor claims his $32 from Medicare.
4. Pay nothing and then I get a cheque from Medicare for $32 - payable to the Doctor. I'm sure I should have paid $18 there somewhere?
5. Pay $50 and the receptionist said Medicare will send a cheque payable to me for $32.
6. Pay $50 and send the claim form and receipt by post to Medicare and get the $32 paid into your bank account. That's the same as No1 really - just couldn't be arsed to go to the Medicare Office.

Anyone got any other possibilities?
You're just *starting* the possibilities! Don't get me going on the Medicare and private payment "system" (My quotes) for outpatient and hospital treatment - you'd probably have to lengthen that list up into the twenties!