Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is November A Good Time To Go????

Is November A Good Time To Go????

Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

fancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud of
Default Is November A Good Time To Go????

HI FOLKS,
Just wondering if November is a good time to go to the promise land as my mate lives there and he phoned me yesterday for a chat and i told we hope to be in Melbourne the beginning of November and he said it might not be a good time to come regarding the work prospects,he said most company's wont take on as Xmas is close as they will have to pay you holidays .
So have any of you good folk gone in November and found a job no problems or is this true what my mate says :scared: or are any you going in November.

THANKS FOR YOU'RE TIME FANCYFELLA AND THE TRIBE (VICTORIA BOUND NOVEMBER WELL I THINK WE ARE LOL LOL)
P.S.YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is November A Good Time To Go????

Originally Posted by fancyfella
HI FOLKS,
Just wondering if November is a good time to go to the promise land as my mate lives there and he phoned me yesterday for a chat and i told we hope to be in Melbourne the beginning of November and he said it might not be a good time to come regarding the work prospects,he said most company's wont take on as Xmas is close as they will have to pay you holidays .
So have any of you good folk gone in November and found a job no problems or is this true what my mate says :scared: or are any you going in November.

THANKS FOR YOU'RE TIME FANCYFELLA AND THE TRIBE (VICTORIA BOUND NOVEMBER WELL I THINK WE ARE LOL LOL)
P.S.YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE

I think you'll be lucky to come out at any time and have jobs within a month. It takes that long to find somewhere to live, schools and to find your feet.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:01 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
I think you'll be lucky to come out at any time and have jobs within a month. It takes that long to find somewhere to live, schools and to find your feet.
Yes it might be worth coming and not starting the job hunt until Mid Jan when people start drifting back to work.

Remember though from Sept the prices rise for anything to do with the tourism trade, so short term accomodation is both in short supply and at a cost premium.

Welcome to Melbourne anyway mate
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I would have said the opposite.............christmas time is when a lot of places take on extra staff.............even if it is only for a few weeks...........gives you some cash coming in.
As for paying holidays............your mate is wrong on that point as you wouldnt have 'earned enough" hours to be eligible for hols.

November is the tail end of spring, so it is still not too hot, lovely time for house hunting and finding your feet!

All the best with whatever you choose
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:44 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

November would a be a good time to go. Not quite summer yet. But soon will be. As for getting a job within a month. I guess it depends what you do. I am a sparkie and i had a job within 3 days the last time i lived there. I also have 2 job offers for when i move back in 6 weeks. Its not always what you know. But who you know.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

dave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to alldave_woodsy is a name known to all

Thats a tough call mate . From a weather getting better and nights getting lighter point of view it will be a good time to come but generally from a work point of view things are going to taper off, certainly once you get into December.

I had the same choice as you last year and in the end I worked in the UK right up till christmas , came over at new year , did bugger all for a month and then started looking for work once the schools went back and things started returning to normal at the end of Jan.

Best of luck whatever you do.