Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Nother one for Melbourne

'Nother one for Melbourne

Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Guitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the rough
Default 'Nother one for Melbourne

Hi there

I found the forum a while back and have been trawling through previous posts pulling out some really useful info. I thought it was about time I came out of the shadows and introduced myself before I started posting, so here goes...

My name's Chris and by day I'm a 40ish IT Manager living in Bath in the UK, with my Aussie partner Jen, who spends her days as a hospital scientist. In our own time, we both enjoy the great outdoors (mainly walking and diving), food, travel and making our own music.

We've decided the time has come to see how the world looks from the other side and will be relocating to Melbourne (to be close-ish to Jen's family) but haven't got any more specific than that yet.

We've handled the process ourselves so far - I've received my Partner Visa (in 8 days from posting the app - hurrah!) and our tickets are booked for 10th Sept. Here in the UK, I'm currently working out my notice of redundancy (result!!!! ), the house has been sold, and we're living in temporary rented accommodation. Most of what we're shipping has already gone into storage.

Still to do: finalise the money transfer stuff, find somewhere to live, get jobs, find friends and build a new life! Should be a breeze... :scared:

Thanks to those of you that have posted the excellent information I've found here - hopefully I'll be able to add to it over the next few months!

cheers, Chris
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:00 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Nother one for Melbourne

Welcome to the forum Chris (and Jen) good luck with your 'adventure'.
We are moving to Brissie in October and are busy doing the last minute stuff like organising leaving do's, selling family silver etc etc.
Just wish it was all done now and we could go but still lots to do. Enjoy your new life down under

Loz x
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guitarfish
My name's Chris and by day I'm a 40ish IT Manager living in Bath in the UK
And by night?!

Welcome, and welcome to Melbourne - soon there'll be more brits here than Greeks!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your new life in Melbourne.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Welcome.
I just posted on another thread, 'Heading to Melbourne'.

Only been here a while, and my best mate here is Simon, he's also in IT and also from Bath. So he doesnt get upset, I'll say he's under 40

Have you looked at

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?

Paul
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:27 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Good luck Chris and hope it all works out for you. We love Melbourne and wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Lorraine
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:50 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guitarfish
Hi there

I found the forum a while back and have been trawling through previous posts pulling out some really useful info. I thought it was about time I came out of the shadows and introduced myself before I started posting, so here goes...

My name's Chris and by day I'm a 40ish IT Manager living in Bath in the UK, with my Aussie partner Jen, who spends her days as a hospital scientist. In our own time, we both enjoy the great outdoors (mainly walking and diving), food, travel and making our own music.

We've decided the time has come to see how the world looks from the other side and will be relocating to Melbourne (to be close-ish to Jen's family) but haven't got any more specific than that yet.

We've handled the process ourselves so far - I've received my Partner Visa (in 8 days from posting the app - hurrah!) and our tickets are booked for 10th Sept. Here in the UK, I'm currently working out my notice of redundancy (result!!!! ), the house has been sold, and we're living in temporary rented accommodation. Most of what we're shipping has already gone into storage.

Still to do: finalise the money transfer stuff, find somewhere to live, get jobs, find friends and build a new life! Should be a breeze... :scared:

Thanks to those of you that have posted the excellent information I've found here - hopefully I'll be able to add to it over the next few months!

cheers, Chris
Hi Chris

Have a special affinity with Bath - thats where I proposed to the wife and where I completed my MBA.

Kiwi (in Melbourne)
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Chris

Have a special affinity with Bath - thats where I proposed to the wife ......

Kiwi (in Melbourne)
Jeez - no wonder you moved away!!!! ;-)
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:08 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck Chris and Jen!
Nice to now that were not the only one's leaving Bath for a new life in Melbourne.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 'Nother one for Melbourne

I am also originally from Bath, attended King Edwards School, am also in IT as a data network engineer and project manager.

Haven't lived there since I was 12 though.

Also headed for Melbourne so it would seem.

Buzzy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:18 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

We need a get out of the Bath thread!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:20 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 'Nother one for Melbourne

Originally Posted by lor
Well when I left Bath I went to Somerset, which I see is where you are from.

Buzzy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:24 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Buzzy--Bee]Well when I left Bath I went to Somerset, which I see is where you are from.

It all comes under somerset now and besides I'm not a snob ,as I have a right west country accent!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Might see you on the plane Chris,,, we're heading out (as long as we sell the house!) early to mid September
Good luck in your adventures!!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Guitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lor
Take your point LOR - things are getting pretty wrinkly by now , so I'll try a different tack...

Buzzy, I guess from your signature you're into things submerged. We've mostly dived warm-water stuff before and Jen's a bit nervous about cold water / Great Whites etc around Melbourne. Could you recommend a nice, easy, interesting dive near Melbourne to try an get her hooked? (is good vis too much to ask for?)

cheers, Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.