Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Notary of the public different to a solicitor?

Notary of the public different to a solicitor?

Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

JasonOZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notary of the public different to a solicitor?

I've just got a quote from a solicitor for certifying documents, but initially they weren't sure if they were able to do it and said I may need a Notary of the public? My understanding was that as a solicitor they are able to certify documents? I'm getting it done at £40 for 12 documents which I think is reasonable ?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:03 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Notary of the public different to a solicitor?

Originally Posted by JasonOZ
I've just got a quote from a solicitor for certifying documents, but initially they weren't sure if they were able to do it and said I may need a Notary of the public? My understanding was that as a solicitor they are able to certify documents? I'm getting it done at £40 for 12 documents which I think is reasonable ?
Solicitors are fine to do this - but cannot stress enough to shop around. We had one who quoted £5 per document, another said £10 per document and the one we chose said they would do up to 10 documents for a total price of £10.
Well worth ringing around!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by myrtle1
Solicitors are fine to do this - but cannot stress enough to shop around. We had one who quoted £5 per document, another said £10 per document and the one we chose said they would do up to 10 documents for a total price of £10.
Well worth ringing around!
Thanks for the advice! I think I'd better shop around then..that was the first quote I've had :-)
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Will your bank do it for you?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lesleys
Will your bank do it for you?
I'm not sure if banks are able to do it to be honest, but I've done a quick search on the immi website, and I'm not sure if it's still relevant, but found this:

"Can agents certify documents?

Yes. From 1 October 2006 the Migration Regulations 1994 were amended to provide that registered migration agents, in Australia and outside Australia, may certify copies of original documents that relate to visa applications, provided that their registration is not currently suspended and they are not subject to a caution that is in effect."
Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

shella_n is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to go back to the original question - a solcitor is different to a Notary Public. Quite often Notary Publics are solicitors but they have to do a special course to become a NP.

If its just a case of certifying documents then a solicitor will be able to do this. If its an official document from another country that needs signing before a NP it will cost you more - anything from £40 up.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:08 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

I had all mine certified free by the notary public at the local community court. And when I went back with my QNC nursing registration form and the Justice of peace stamped and signed it (also free) for me. It may be worth ringing your local community court and asking if they offer this service.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if banks are able to do it to be honest,
We got our Natwest to do our documents for visas and it was fine (6 years ago). And free as we were customers.

Phone your bank and ask.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lesleys
We got our Natwest to do our documents for visas and it was fine (6 years ago). And free as we were customers.

Phone your bank and ask.
I'll definately check with my bank! many thanks
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Apparently if you are OUTSIDE Australia, then the only people that can certify documents are a Solicitor, RMA or Notary of the Public. I've just clarified this with an agent
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

I have just had an accounting contact certify my CPA membership documents.

I don't know if they are also able to certify for the DIAC forms or not.

I notice you are in Cardiff but if you are in the Swansea area I will be happy to certify them for you free if qualified accountants are able to do it. I tend to get wound up when I see people charged ridiculous amounts for a few minutes work.

Si
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Si T
I have just had an accounting contact certify my CPA membership documents.

I don't know if they are also able to certify for the DIAC forms or not.

I notice you are in Cardiff but if you are in the Swansea area I will be happy to certify them for you free if qualified accountants are able to do it. I tend to get wound up when I see people charged ridiculous amounts for a few minutes work.

Si
Many thanks for the offer! I'll check if you are eligible or not and get in touch :-)
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you spoken to the Police? In Australia the Police can certify documents and they don't charge a thing. Not sure if this is the same as in the UK but would be worth checking.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deancm
Have you spoken to the Police? In Australia the Police can certify documents and they don't charge a thing. Not sure if this is the same as in the UK but would be worth checking.
I've got them certified now. Shopped around, got a few quotes, got a good bargain in the end (from a solicitor) as I had quite a few docs to certify! thanks for the advice everyone :-)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

I've got them certified now. Shopped around, got a few quotes, got a good bargain in the end (from a solicitor) as I had quite a few docs to certify! thanks for the advice everyone :-)
Excellent - good luck with your process (from one welshy to another!!!)
I was born and lived most of my life until recently in Pontypool. Spent many happy times on the lash (and watching rugby) in Cardiff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.