Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not to worry anyone but...... 1.78

Not to worry anyone but...... 1.78

Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Not to worry anyone but...... 1.78

Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:16 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not to worry anyone but...... 1.78

It's taking the piss! We were moaning about getting 1.88 a few weeks ago for our reccie trip, it's just going down and down every day. Luckily we're not moving for a bit but just as well, we couldn't afford to at this rate (no pun intended...or was it?!)

Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinH

it is
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

of course given that UK interest rates are likely to stay on hold for a little longer and Oz rates to increase, you can expect the trend to continue
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinH
of course given that UK interest rates are likely to stay on hold for a little longer and Oz rates to increase, you can expect the trend to continue
how much the uk.gov is in the debt has a lot of oooooo,
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

greghal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedT
It's taking the piss! We were moaning about getting 1.88 a few weeks ago for our reccie trip, it's just going down and down every day. Luckily we're not moving for a bit but just as well, we couldn't afford to at this rate (no pun intended...or was it?!)

waiting 6 months might not help!!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Not to worry anyone but...... 1.78

Yes, it really is taking the piss when your currency is worth more than one and a half times the currency of the country you're moving to, so your money actually increases in value by more than 50% just by crossing a few international timezones.

Oh, the humanity!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, it really is taking the piss when your currency is worth more than one and a half times the currency of the country you're moving to, so your money actually increases in value by more than 50% just by crossing a few international timezones.

Oh, the humanity!
Increases in value???
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Not to worry anyone but...... 1.78

Originally Posted by llanfachreth
Increases in value???
Let me put it this way: you'll have 50% more dollars than pounds when you convert your money into Australian currency. Meanwhile, Australians who come to the UK have fewer pounds than dollars when they convert their money into Stirling.

In other words, you effectively gain money by entering Australia, while Australians lose money by entering the UK. So the next time you think that 1.78 isn't fair, remind yourself that you're still getting one hell of a deal.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

[quote=Vash the Stampede;7994417]Let me put it this way: you'll have 50% more dollars than pounds when you convert your money into Australian currency. Meanwhile, Australians who come to the UK have fewer pounds than dollars when they convert their money into Stirling.

In other words, you effectively gain money by entering Australia, while Australians lose money by entering the UK. So the next time you think that 1.78 isn't fair, remind yourself that you're still getting one hell of a deal.[/qsuote]

did a on line aldi look see and shopping it is about 2 to 1
,but i do agree when you come back to the uk from au,working au to gbp, it dose make wow thats 5 etc dollars as my son who is 10 reminds me. by the way he loves stralia,
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

In other words, you effectively gain money by entering Australia, while Australians lose money by entering the UK.
Shurely shome mishtake in your logic.

Exactly one year ago you needed AUD$ 2,29 to buy one of your finest british pounds but today you only need AUD$ 1,78 which by my reckoning is 22% less or (to put it another way) if you were selling a house in the UK for GBP 500,000 you house will now only buy you a GBP 390,000 equivalent in Oz.

Or am I not understanding?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:01 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

Let me put it this way: you'll have 50% more dollars than pounds when you convert your money into Australian currency. Meanwhile, Australians who come to the UK have fewer pounds than dollars when they convert their money into Stirling.

In other words, you effectively gain money by entering Australia, while Australians lose money by entering the UK. So the next time you think that 1.78 isn't fair, remind yourself that you're still getting one hell of a deal.
Vash, I don't disagree with your reasoning at all. However, as an Aussie wanting to transfer monies the other way, it annoys me to no end. I got screwed far more severely with the exchange when I came over to the UK years ago and now it is not working in my favour again so I am doubly screwed. So I am not satisfied that I am getting one hell of a deal and I'm therefore taking the side of Brits going to Oz.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

If one apple cost one pound in England and one dollar in Australia that would make sense!

Buzzy
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

llanfachreth is an unknown quantity at this point

Think you've got that a bit wrong.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Your logic is a bit off, it would only work out that way if everything was the same price and all that was different was the currency, as someone said above, if an apple was 1 pound in the UK and 1 dollar in Australia then your way of thinking would be right, but it’s not. That’s not how foreign exchange works.

If it was simply a case of moving to another country to increase the value of currency you had then I’d head to Japan, where 1 pound will get me 141 YEN. Then OH MY GOD, I’ll be 141 times more richer.... sadly, that 1 pound apple in the UK, costs more than 141 YEN in Japan!

The new rate will make a big difference on what type of house a new expat can buy compared to what they could buy last year.

Last edited by canadaeh; Oct 6th 2009 at 10:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.