Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:33 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Two questions.

Firstly, do you always reply to your own posts?

Secondly, are you berating the hard working Brit or sympathising with her? I couldn't tell from your post?
Originally Posted by hippyboy1
I do tend to argue with myself quite a bit.
You didn't answer the second question - I am intrigued too
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In the last job I had, there was an office of relatively well paid , rather laid-back Aussies - basically doing alap (as little as possible)-and this one irritating British lady who worked oh-so-hard and genuinely pissed on the Aussies parade-with her grating UK office habits (aka giving a sh-t)...she wondered why no-one liked her.
I wouldn't call it "grating UK office habits" to give a sh*t and work hard, I'd just call it a sense of responsibility and earning one's wages. What's wrong with that?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:01 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I wouldn't call it "grating UK office habits" to give a sh*t and work hard, I'd just call it a sense of responsibility and earning one's wages. What's wrong with that?
That's why I asked the question Polly

I've witnessed this time and again - tall poppy syndrome I think it's called
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Without idealising Australia too much, Australia has or at least once had a culture whereby average-wage earners had a sense of responsibility to fellow workers rather than the rich boss. Its called egalitarianism and 'standing by ones mates'.
The British employee in question puts the rights of the boss and his wallet first-typical British working class tugging the forelock.
Many working class Brits are completely screwed up by a culture that forrces them to idolise the posh and glamorous-and hope for their approval. Hence their slavish adherence to conservative 'daily-mail' views.
Sadly and misguidedly venting their bitterness on fellow working Poles and Pakistani's, and accusing 'PC Bleeding hearts' of being behind the import of cheap labour.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=hippyboy1;6518358]Without idealising Australia too much, Australia has or at least once had a culture whereby average-wage earners had a sense of responsibility to fellow workers rather than the rich boss. Its called egalitarianism and 'standing by ones mates'.

I nearly just wet myself, I have never known such a back stabbing I am all right Joe type of person as I have since I moved here.

My present firm are great, but the one before was dog eat dog, as long as you sucked up to the boss.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

chrissy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I've been in OZ (and travelled around a bit in it since arriving in mid 90s) and you have hit the nail on the head! You may at best become acquaintances but don't hope for anything more. Even Australians seem only to have mainly acquaintances yet will classify them as friends.

Friends in my book have an interest in you and your relationship with each other and may catch up socially weekly. fortnightly or monthly; not every 2, 3 or 6 months.

Friends also share on deeper more intimate levels of themselves and provide you the opportunity to reciprocate and don't consider displays of emotion or kindness some weakness or plague like leprosy, to avoid!

Try NZ...they're a far friendlier bunch
One kiwi to another you guys should think yourself lucky to even get a look in while living the Aussi dream I have been living in Holland for the pat 10 years and no friends what so ever and that's not through lack of trying.
The Dutch are a very hard bunch to break into their circle of friends,I have given up trying and guess what my husband and I are moving to Aussi early next year YES.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

ar1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Agree that there is a great deal of negative sentiment in this forum which is probably not v. helpful to the person who first asked the questions.

As an expat from another country who has lived in Australia, the UK, France and the US I've seen a lot of different expat experiences.

Not everyone enjoys living away from home and some people can't cope with things being different and are perhaps unwilling to learn that just because things are different, doesn't mean they are bad. I know plenty of people who moved to the UK and thought it was horrific because they couldn't (to quote Monty Python for all you Brits out there) look on the bright side of life.

Friends - so, stop and think about how you make friends. Most of your friendship groups in your own town/ country are made from school, university, family friends, and work - then by extension girlfriends and boyfriends/ partners etc of your friends. If you move to a country where you do not have a circle of friends through school, uni, family - then yes... it's going to be really hard. (on the positive side, you don't have to hang out with all those annoying people who clutter up your life at home who you are friends with just because you've known them for years!). So join clubs, play sport, join a bookclub, get a regular dinner party thing going - yes. v. hard but eventually you'll get there. Don't talk about comparisons when you're meeting people or about how much you think your country is better than theirs (this is obvious I hope) - no one wants to hear it and neither would you if the shoe was on the other foot. Put up with the jibes... they'll get sick of it eventually - and try to recall just how many times in the UK you have joked that someone from Australia is a convict... yep... it's not funny after the 100th time.
Also - probably, dont' tell people if you're only planning on staying for a year or short term because human nature will suggest that people can't be bothered to put in the effort with someone who is not going to stick around.

Humour - yes, actually australians are funny, as are the french, and the americans etc. etc. Again... it's probably just different. Eg: a lot of American's don't find UK comedy funny at all - and vice versa. But there are people laughing in both countries so there's got to be some funny stuff going on somewhere... just open you're mind - test out a new type of humour... you might just learn something, as might your audience.

I appreciate that there are some loser Australians who are uneducated gits and they're very frustrating to come in contact with... but really, we all know they're in the UK as well - and all over the world.

And for people complaining about rent/ tax/ wages etc. etc. Rent in London is INSANE!!! try to compare apples for apples... see what benefits you're getting for the cons you are experiencing... is it better quality of life? more space? fresher food? better healthcare? overseas experience? whatever it is - just stop it with the whinging..... it's not going to make you're life any better.

smile and the world smiles with you.... cry and you'll cry alone!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:02 pm

Without idealising Australia too much, Australia has or at least once had a culture whereby average-wage earners had a sense of responsibility to fellow workers rather than the rich boss. Its called egalitarianism and 'standing by ones mates'.
The British employee in question puts the rights of the boss and his wallet first-typical British working class tugging the forelock.
Many working class Brits are completely screwed up by a culture that forrces them to idolise the posh and glamorous-and hope for their approval. Hence their slavish adherence to conservative 'daily-mail' views.
Sadly and misguidedly venting their bitterness on fellow working Poles and Pakistani's, and accusing 'PC Bleeding hearts' of being behind the import of cheap labour.
You are too funny
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, the British employee in question is quite possiblty just doing what he/she feels is right - they are being paid to work, so thats what they should be doing.
I work when I'm in the office. this has nothing to do with Polsih people or Pakistani people or tugging the foelock to the boss, and has everything to do with my own desire to do my job well.
If sitting back and not working is what the Aussies mean by "standing by one's mates", then it's time they woke up and joined the real world.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

If sitting back and not working is what the Aussies mean by "standing by one's mates", then it's time they woke up and joined the real world.
Why and to what end-the place seems to be travelling well enough as is-or do we want to turn the place into an outright replica of the UK??
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:10 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Why and to what end-the place seems to be travelling well enough as is-or do we want to turn the place into an outright replica of the UK??
Look, with all due respect and in all honesty your arguments (and I mean this in an objective manner) are full of shit.

You cannot seriously be condoning a "lazy" national work ethic?

Have you time-traveled directly from the Woodstock festival ('69) to be here with us today? I think you'd better go back or you're going to miss Jimi Hendrix!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:13 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Just sounds like you're a bit of a bludger to me.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:26 am

No, the British employee in question is quite possiblty just doing what he/she feels is right - they are being paid to work, so thats what they should be doing.
I work when I'm in the office. this has nothing to do with Polsih people or Pakistani people or tugging the foelock to the boss, and has everything to do with my own desire to do my job well.
So good you said it twice

I agree 100%. The fact she was doing the right thing has gone riiiiight over his head. Just about right I reckon
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

If this happens, I shall hunt down the person responsible and remove their spleen with a blunt instrument (maybe a trombone).

Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

uk_qld32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Why wait,go now
....because as I said, we've met some really cool people, we're enjoying our time here, were getting to know family...need I go on? The only problem is we missed the bit on the Visa application that said "thou shalt not make any comment that is not wholly positive about Australia, nor should you point out any faults people may have" I know the British are sometimes overly self critical, but you can go too far the other way....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.