Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:07 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Originally Posted by northernbird
I tend to agree, it may not be classy but I think they tend to have the right idea.
we chose to come here so why should WE not fit in
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I am not getting snappy at all. I can understand that it isn't for everyone. However I do get cross when people pass off their own experiences (which can't be argued with) as that is how it is for everyone. Lots of people come over and CAN afford the things you can't. My husbands wages aren't lower here, our rent was lower here, my other bills are cheaper here and my shopping, although still higher priced than when I arrived, is still cheaper than it would be in the UK. There are plenty of folk on this board that want to go home I know that but there are twice as many who are happy and settled.
Well said C ...I have been very happy and settled for 36 years
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:09 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

I've lived in several cities in Oz (and while my daughters, both early 20s, had no probs finding friends from the opposite sex) I found the Aussies superficially friendly but quite insular. The image you get from Australian sportsmen on telly of these genial, laid-back. easy-going guys seems a bit misleading in respect of reflecting the pop'n at large.

Whilst I prefer Oz as a country to NZ, I must say that overall the Kiwi natives were a lot more welcoming and friendly than the Ozzies, happier to pass the time of day with you in pubs and shops. I seem to recall that even in Oz the rapport I built up with people there tended to be the many Kiwis who had emigrated there.

I think the Kiwis prefer us to the Australians as well.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
we have friends that have that sticker.......its true tho...if u dont like it then **** of back to where u came from
Would that I could. Unfortunately it is not that easy
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

Whilst we've touched on Kiwis, in my experience the Kiwis are very pro Kiwi both inside and outside of New Zealand. They do like British people in preference to Aussies, as I think Brits are more reserved and less rough around the edges - that's how they perceive Aussies, I think. I was on a boat in Auckland harbour recently and the captain pointed out a large piece of engineering on the docks that was manufactured in Australia - and refined in New Zealand - 'like alot of what comes over here from there', he added.

Maoris are perfectly integrated into society. Aborigines are not. That says alot about the two countries.

Personally, I find Kiwis a very friendly bunch of people, proud of their nation and happy in their lives. Aussies are different to Kiwis. But both are easy to talk to and happy to offer advice on all matters. Without a formal 'position' in life based on what you do for a job, it's much easier to live in Australia and New Zealand than it is in the UK, in that respect.

Paul.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to agree, it may not be classy but I think they tend to have the right idea.
much as i would like to **** off back to where i came from, it aint always that simple

I am genuinely glad for people who are happy here and things have worked out, a couple we know have had an incredible piece of luck since coming here, and i couldn't be happier for them. i dont blame australia for any of our diffiuclties (financial and emotional), this could have happened back in the u.k, but i feel i would cope better with it all back in the u.k.

As i said nothing would give me greater pleasure to **** off back, so to all the aussies and brits with this car sticker, i will do my best to oblige and i hope the ones who have adopted this car bumper sticker moral can continue to be happy with their superior, settled attitude.

Last edited by Margaret3; Jun 14th 2008 at 1:52 am.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 5:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
much as i would like to **** off back to where i came from, it aint always that simple

I am genuinely glad for people who are happy here and things have worked out, a couple we know have had an incredible piece of luck since coming here, and i couldn't be happier for them. i dont blame australia for any of our diffiuclties (financial and emotional), this could have happened back in the u.k, but i feel i would cope better with it all back in the u.k.

As i said nothing would give me greater pleasure to **** off back, so to all the aussies and brits with this car sticker, i will do my best to oblige and i hope the ones who have adopted this car bumper sticker moral can continue to be happy with their superior, settled attitude.
I know it isn't easy, I wasn't suggesting for a minute it was and to suggest I feel superior to those that are unsettled shows you don't know me. I hope your remaining time in Australia can be spent as happily as it can be and then you and your family can return to Scotland heads held high to live out the rest of your lives in happiness.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 6:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Hear hear
Old Jun 14th 2008, 6:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hear hear
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Well said Margaret!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hear hear
Didn't you know gals, according to this current thread it's all about "attitude" and being in a low paid job
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542822
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody

Didn't you know gals, according to this current thread it's all about "attitude" and being in a low paid job
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542822
What a load of bollocks.
Low paid - no
Blue collar - no
Attitude? -if that means being brainwashed into thinking this is Utopia then no.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm low paid, but not blue collar. I'm not brainwahsed into thinking anyplace is Utopia but I have adopted a positive attitude toward my situation. I could neither afford to move on nor would my spouse want to. Do I spend my life complaining or do I accept that things are not always the way had planned or hoped. Really, what good would it do me or anyone else if I wallowed in my misfortunes?
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of bollocks.
Low paid - no
Blue collar - no
Attitude? -if that means being brainwashed into thinking this is Utopia then no.
My sentiments exactly! Seems there's more than a shred of elitism being bandied about that thread.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:19 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that unhappy people sometimes do not want to take responsibility for their situations.....

Where you are in the world, or indeed your life, is a result of your own choices. Nobody put you on a prison ship and sent you to Australia. Nobody except yourself is keeping you where you are unhappy against your will

If you truly, truly wanted to move back, then you would find a way and make the necessary sacrifices to seek your own happiness.
You are where you are because you choose to be there. No other reason.... Despite the excuses that you may present to yourself....
Old Jun 14th 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=alipally;6465921]I feel that unhappy people sometimes do not want to take responsibility for their situations.....

Where you are in the world, or indeed your life, is a result of your own choices. Nobody put you on a prison ship and sent you to Australia. Nobody except yourself is keeping you where you are unhappy against your will

If you truly, truly wanted to move back, then you would find a way and make the necessary sacrifices to seek your own happiness.
You are where you are because you choose to be there. No other reason.... Despite the excuses that you may present to yourself....[/QUOTE]

Um, actually no, I disagree. I am here because legally I cannot leave unless I want to leave my children behind (due to Aussie ex husband). Not exactly me chosing to be here is it?!

And believe me I have tried everything possible to be able to leave, but it ain't gonna happen until I either (a) abduct them which I would not do or (b) wait until they are adults .... oh well, youngest is 9 - only another 8-9 years.

PS - I'd love to know what possible excuses I am presenting to myself!

Last edited by rabsody; Jun 14th 2008 at 9:45 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.