Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not welcome / Not belonging feeling

Well this post sure has got side tracked !
It wasn’t my intention to have a post where people complain about what is wrong with Australia, there’s plenty of posts like that, or get into an expenses argument, personally i dont care about money.

What I really wanted was to get to the bottom of wether people ever fit in and if they still get treated like outsiders. Thanks for some great replys, most intrestingly are those from people who have lived for 5+years and knew exactly what I was talking about, having experinced similer feelings

Sometimes its almost like being a second class citizen and looked down upon.
Some people are great, they accept you as you are. There seems to be far more who either openly put down 'poms' or there are those who at first seem ok but over time let many nasty comments slip and you start to get to know how they really feel.

It really makes me question wether I should stay, I don’t want to live as a second class citizen to be looked down on....
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
It wasn’t my intention to have a post where people complain about what is wrong with Australia, there’s plenty of posts like that, or get into an expenses argument, personally i dont care about money.

What I really wanted was to get to the bottom of wether people ever fit in and if they still get treated like outsiders. Thanks for some great replys, most intrestingly are those from people who have lived for 5+years and knew exactly what I was talking about, having experinced similer feelings

Some people are great, they accept you as you are. There seems to be far more who either openly put down 'poms' or there are those who at first seem ok but over time let many nasty comments slip and you start to get to know how they really feel.

It really makes me question wether I should stay, I don’t want to live as a second class citizen to be looked down on....
I haven't found it amongst my friends. I found it more when I moved from lancashire to London when I was 19. People asked where my whippet was, was I having hotpot for dinner etc etc. It is no different. I never truly settled in London and that was my own country. I managed 4 years before moving away.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thread even if it has been flogged to death ...

Shame about the idiotic ramblings.

I despair with some on here, I really f***ing do.

What do people honestly expect when they get here ... ? A big f*** off cuddle at customs and an invite to dinner ... sheesh?

Get the f*** on with it, dry your eyes, stop whining like a ho and take the place for what it is.

Last edited by Three Legs; Jun 12th 2008 at 12:15 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you view the Poles in Britain ... ?

Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

KeenG is an unknown quantity at this point

Your basis of second class citizenship comes from the people around you? If this matters more to you, if in paper you are admitted, you just have to change your mindset then. I give up looking for the promise land,economically every nation now treats citizens as tax units, we exists because we contribute, and the big boss is happy, who cares you be happy or not.... sigh. Its a material world, and we are becoming sardines in a can!!!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Great thread even if it has been flogged to death ...

Shame about the idiotic ramblings.

I despair with some on here, I really f***ing do.

What do people honestly expect when they get here ... ? A big f*** off cuddle at customs and an invite to dinner ... sheesh?

Get the f*** on with it, dry your eyes, stop whining like a ho and take the place for what it is.
I'm surprised at what you say...

On entry to the country the passport officer wished us a great life in Australia.

The customs officer was similarly polite, whizzing our cases through and saying welcome to God's own country.

Having walked the red carpet out of the airport the sun was shining and a taxi drive pulled up. "Poms?", he asked. "Jump in, the first one's on me!"

The whole street turned out to meet us...

And the house was fully furnished and Sky digital installed...

My neighbours clean the pool, my boss let's me start work late, my local serves me free beer and my thirteen investment properties are fetching top rent...

Come to Australia and live YOUR dream life!
Even though you might have to fake it every now and then.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:22 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

pmsl!!

If only! I dream that our imminent arrival will be like that!

In reality it'll be just like the last time we landed.... 'g'day, welcome to Australia.' stamp stamp!!

'have you got any food or live material in your bags? pop 'em on the xray then....'
and out into the sunshine, to find some transport to our temp accommodation!
Whether you 'fit in' or not is entirely up to you!

Ali x
Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:52 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PC Pom
I'm surprised at what you say...

On entry to the country the passport officer wished us a great life in Australia.

The customs officer was similarly polite, whizzing our cases through and saying welcome to God's own country.

Having walked the red carpet out of the airport the sun was shining and a taxi drive pulled up. "Poms?", he asked. "Jump in, the first one's on me!"

The whole street turned out to meet us...

And the house was fully furnished and Sky digital installed...

My neighbours clean the pool, my boss let's me start work late, my local serves me free beer and my thirteen investment properties are fetching top rent...

Come to Australia and live YOUR dream life!
Even though you might have to fake it every now and then.

Blimey i cant wait to get to oz if everyone is like this.

seriously believe life is what you make it and everyone is different. It does get me down sometimes when all people do on here is moan about their new lives. If its that crap then come back, things /people are bound to be a bit different after all thats what most of us want (except those who want the uk in the sun).
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:04 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Australia was the only country where I saw a young hoon driving down Marmion Ave, Perth with a sticker on his car which told people ' if you don't like it here then F off back to your own country' . Nice and classy -Not!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Not my fault the average wage is lower than Europe
Not my fault the rent is so overpriced
Not my fault the mortage prices are so unaffordable so many people are loosing their homes.
Not my fault the food is expensive and bland
Not my fault domestic and international flights are so expensive
Not my fault the government would not allow “real” broadband cable to be laid

Mikey
Not my fault your deal is worse than mine.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Just read some of these.

Some of us have such crap deals we'll never realise how good it is for others.

I was just reflecting to my wife how great the work drinks (and people) were tonight.

Some of you really hang out in crap jobs or company. I've been there in the past. Never forget a 6 week temp job I had in the UK. All the bad things people say here were there.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=jond;6441267]
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I find some of the more selfish Australians I meet (at work but not in my division as our division attracts self-confessed intellectuals! now there's a thing) remind me of some of the people you find living on the edges of London. Lots of money, sort of successful but not very enlightened. Areas like Essex and some tiny parts of SW London spring to mind.

Hi Badge so where do I fit in?

A self reliant Essex boy who can mix with anybody, have been all around the World and is probably as qualified and intellectual as yourself?

I don't rely on anyone but my Family and can sort out most problems myself.

It is just that I find the average aussie to be quite nice but very shallow and very boring. By the way I don't think it has anything to do with where we live.

I have a lot of aussie mates, but no aussie friends.

John
Mate - all I can say is that there are people like *you*, who *do* have Aussie friends(!) I would not consider myself intellectual or qualified. But Australians I work with are and are enjoyable!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 13th 2008 at 11:53 am.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:04 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donovandenese
Has anyone noticed the even more annoying people - the "fake aussies" - migrants who act more local than the locals?
Yes. They are an even bigger pain in the arse than the whinging Poms
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:04 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JRB
Australia was the only country where I saw a young hoon driving down Marmion Ave, Perth with a sticker on his car which told people ' if you don't like it here then F off back to your own country' . Nice and classy -Not!
we have friends that have that sticker.......its true tho...if u dont like it then **** of back to where u came from
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
we have friends that have that sticker.......its true tho...if u dont like it then **** of back to where u came from
I tend to agree, it may not be classy but I think they tend to have the right idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.