British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Not sure where to start - Blue Haven, NSW (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/not-sure-where-start-blue-haven-nsw-747017/)

melinscotland Feb 1st 2012 11:51 am

Not sure where to start - Blue Haven, NSW

Hey all , So i have been here 3 wks now staying with family in blue haven nsw . Im waiting on my qulifictaions being assessed. My job is an a assistant manager in a childrens day care centre. I cannot start work or even start looking for work until they have been assessed. Despite being giving a visa for a childcare coordinator (which allowed me in to oz) . This could take up to 8 wks :( and its only been 2 since i sent the assement off ( the assessment had been sent off from the uk but the system changed and my application hadnt been put through.... hence starting the whole thing again )! And being stuck in this situation .

I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place .... Im lucky my brother has kindly put me up but the area is a little far out from the city.There isnt much to do and you need a car to get everywhere which i cant affordto get right now due to not working . My first thought was that id move to syndey or even newcastle depending on where i can find work but to be honest im a bit intimidated about sydney it seem so big im not even sure where to start but i think thats probably where ill be happiest , Can anyone offer any tips ?advice? Starting to feel a bit low about it all . There is no meet ups or anything in this area ...

carzinoz Feb 24th 2012 3:05 am

Re: Not sure where to start

Hiya,

I'm in Wollongong which is a bit far for a meet up. If you have free time just now you could approach local day care centres asking if you could volunteer on the basis that you want to get experience of the UK/Oz different approaches to childcare or help at the local school or mabye try an agency for some short term work. Anything that helps you get local experience that you can use as a reference when you apply for jobs might help you in the long run plus get you out and about. On the other hand, Sydney's not that far, you could go exploring and see how you like it :)

melinscotland Feb 24th 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by carzinoz (Post 9918272)
Hiya,

I'm in Wollongong which is a bit far for a meet up. If you have free time just now you could approach local day care centres asking if you could volunteer on the basis that you want to get experience of the UK/Oz different approaches to childcare or help at the local school or mabye try an agency for some short term work. Anything that helps you get local experience that you can use as a reference when you apply for jobs might help you in the long run plus get you out and about. On the other hand, Sydney's not that far, you could go exploring and see how you like it :)

Hey thanks for the reply , Yeah ive been exploring sydney and im going there again next week to explore some more . Iv ebooked a first aid course because i know ill need that for work so that will get me out and about a bit too . Guess i just didnt think id be bored here ... but im used to working 59 hrs a week . Hopefully it will all fallin to place soon .

carzinoz Feb 26th 2012 10:56 pm

Hiya,

Yeah, isn't it weird to go from busy busy to twiddling your thumbs especially when you find yourself landed in a place where you don't know people.

Where abouts are you from?

melinscotland Feb 26th 2012 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by carzinoz (Post 9922336)
Hiya,

Yeah, isn't it weird to go from busy busy to twiddling your thumbs especially when you find yourself landed in a place where you don't know people.

Where abouts are you from?

Im from Glasgow but i grew up in the west coast of scotland .I love the city . Had my first trip to Sydney last week and loved it. Im now sure i wan to go back to city living its just where to start really Sydney is so big !

I loved paddington and ive loke din to new town also there both expensiv ethough so i guess it depends on where i can get work .

Have you been here long /

Pollyana Feb 27th 2012 4:44 am

Re: Not sure where to start - Blue Haven, NSW

Originally Posted by melinscotland (Post 9877792)
Hey all , So i have been here 3 wks now staying with family in blue haven nsw . Im waiting on my qulifictaions being assessed. My job is an a assistant manager in a childrens day care centre. I cannot start work or even start looking for work until they have been assessed. Despite being giving a visa for a childcare coordinator (which allowed me in to oz) . This could take up to 8 wks :( and its only been 2 since i sent the assement off ( the assessment had been sent off from the uk but the system changed and my application hadnt been put through.... hence starting the whole thing again )! And being stuck in this situation .

I feel a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place .... Im lucky my brother has kindly put me up but the area is a little far out from the city.There isnt much to do and you need a car to get everywhere which i cant affordto get right now due to not working . My first thought was that id move to syndey or even newcastle depending on where i can find work but to be honest im a bit intimidated about sydney it seem so big im not even sure where to start but i think thats probably where ill be happiest , Can anyone offer any tips ?advice? Starting to feel a bit low about it all . There is no meet ups or anything in this area ...

I've added your location to the title, you never know, someone may spot it :)

carzinoz Feb 27th 2012 9:10 pm

I'm coming up for four years, we moved here from Aberdeen.

I'm not a city person but I have to say if I had to live in a city, I'd choose Sydney, it's very beautiful.

I haven't explored much outwith the main drag - Darling Harbour and around the opera house so if you have any tips on areas/cafes etc in other areas let me know :)

I don't make it up there too often because it's a rush to go and be back in time for school pick up and also cos I live on the coast, very beachy and laid back here and I love it so it feels like a bit of a trachle to go in to the busy city.

Have you been to Bondi yet? I went to meet a pal and I surprised myself by really liking it.

melinscotland Feb 29th 2012 10:38 am

Hey just back from two dys in Sydney . Yes I've done bondi beach I loved it been twice now.still finding my feet around the city it's so big just have to keep visiting in order I get to know it . I'm keen to check out newtown I've heard lots of good things about it ! Have you been there ?

carzinoz Mar 1st 2012 9:08 pm

Hiya,

No I haven't been but a pal of mine kept saying she should take me there cos it's meant to be really nice. I think it used to be where the upcoming artists/ designers/fashion leaders lived but not so much now as it got trendy.

I hope you're not getting too soaked walking about Sydney! Have you got flood warnings in Blue Haven?

melinscotland Mar 1st 2012 10:41 pm

Yes we have had flood warnings but so far juat had a little rain nothing to right home about lol . Going to Sydney on Saturday for the day probably going to get soaked !