Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

not sure what to title this!

not sure what to title this!

Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default not sure what to title this!

hi ,

i am a divorcee with a aged dependent father and dependent 4y old kid. i and my ex husband were still married at the time we validated our trip and now he is working in melbourne. i am still in my home country with my dad and daughter and divorced since the last few months from him. As this happened after the validation i have not informed the immigration about this so i guess in the immigration i am still married to him.

i will be coming to brisbane in may/june with dad and daughter to start my life over in a new country. i need to look for a a job as soon as i get over there to support my family, pay my rents and taxes and all that. until that time i am aware i can get rent assistance and family tax benefits.

1. now since my ex is working and we are still married according to the records in aus will i be able to get it until such time i find a job?

2.also will i be able to produce my divorce decree nisi / certificate to centerlink if i am unable to get it to enable payments until such time ?

3. is there anything else i need to do when i get there other than producing this?

4. is there any other documents whihc i will need form here ?

thanks
mala
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:03 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not sure what to title this!

Are you having a laugh?
1. IMO I don't think its a good idea to lie like this
2. You cannot claim unemployment benefit for 2 years.Apply for child maintenance from the ex rather than what you can get from Centrelink.
3. The only benefits you could claim are Tax Benefit A and rent assistance. They are not enough to live off.

To rent a house most agencies ask for a months bond and a months rent in advance. My rental was $340 week but paid $1477 a month rent.
Some companies charge a connection fee for water, electricity and gas. Not sure about phones.
We went through money like water for the first few months setting up a home, cars and kids schools then searching for jobs.
IMHO Its not a move for the faint hearted or those wearing rose tinted glasses.

Last edited by Jaycee1; Jan 30th 2011 at 11:12 am.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The OP seemed to be asking perfectly reasonable questions to me...where was the suggestion of fraud?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

What makes you think you have the right to move to a new country and have the people who have paid their taxes and worked their butts off support you and your family when we are struggling to get by ourselves???????
Get yourself sorted out before you consider moving anywhere else!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:18 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The OP seemed to be asking perfectly reasonable questions to me...where was the suggestion of fraud?
"i am a divorcee"
"divorced since the last few months from him. As this happened after the validation i have not informed the immigration about this"
"1. now since my ex is working and we are still married according to the records in aus will i be able to get it until such time i find a job?"
Its really hot in Melbourne tonight though
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:20 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

The OP seems a little confusing, however it seems that she hasn't informed the immigration dept of her divorce. I'm not sure of the legal implications of this but I imagine it must be compulsory to inform DIAC of this?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:21 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
The OP seems a little confusing, however it seems that she hasn't informed the immigration dept of her divorce. I'm not sure of the legal implications of this but I imagine it must be compulsory to inform DIAC of this?
Of more concern maybe, what visa is she using to gain entry? Is is still valid. I suppose so. Is the husband's visa still valid? Has he notified DIAC?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:24 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering that. The OP has made no mention of fraud or lies. Quite the reverse in fact in trying to do the right thing.

As to sponging. You can't tell me that any of you lot with kids and you are eligible for tax credits don't claim them. We all know that you can't claim benefits for 2 years so how about winding your necks in a bit and cutting someone some slack who is trying to make a better life, find a job to support her family, you know - exactly what everyone else is doing.

To the OP, now you have validated your visa your a PR in your own right (provided it was the usual independent visa). Your martial status you just have to prove to claim any necessary centerlink benefits your eligible for.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:29 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

According to the sig the OP holds a validated 175 visa, what need is there to inform DIAC of anything? She has a valid PR visa.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:30 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Unfortunately not. After you have validated your permanent residency visa that is.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

1) The OP has validated her visa but was the main applicant anyway so beign divorced would not have affected her visa
2) As the OP has validated her visa she does not need to inform DIAC about the divorce
3) The OP should note that if she is divorced in her home country then she will probably also be considered divorced under Australian law and should fill in all paperwork with her status as "divorced" not as "married", regardless of whether she has informed Immigration of the divorce. Centrelink may well require a copy of the divorce certificate.

Can we try and keep replies objective please
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Mala, is your Dad included on your visa? hats off to you taking this enormous step of coming here 'alone' with dependents... Hope it all works out for you
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have validated your PR and you move to Australia, I don't think DIAC and Centrelink are linked. When I first applied for the family tax benefit, Family Assistance did ask to see my visa, but that's it. Family Assistance would not have access to DIAC information. They go by what information you give them and information they get from the Tax Office, nothing to do with Immi.

As Pollyana said, your divorce (just like your marriage before that) will be recognised in Australia so you would have to mention it when you register with Centrelink. If your ex pays some child support, you'll probably have to mention that too. If not, maybe you could try to get him to contribute since he is in Australia too. I'm not sure how this all works, but it would make sense that if he is working and earning in Melbourne, then he should be required to support his child once said child is living in the same country
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:04 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

According to the sig the OP holds a validated 175 visa, what need is there to inform DIAC of anything? She has a valid PR visa.
Great - I wasn't sure if it was the case or not. If mala is the main applicant anyway then it would be her ex that was likely to be affected, not her.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as i know, as soon as your Visa is validated.....you will be PR for 5 years regardless your married situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.