Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

not sold house yet - going in 9 weeks

not sold house yet - going in 9 weeks

Old Jul 8th 2003, 7:10 am
port kennedy dec 2003

carolerussell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default not sold house yet - going in 9 weeks

Any one going/gone who has not sold their house. We have got a mortgage on the house, what do we tell the building society. Do they allow you to leave the country still owing them money whilst your house is still up for sale? The house has been on the market for 8 weeks. We have got someone interested and they have put in an offer but they have still got to get a buyer for theirs. I am sure that the house will sell eventually but I don't know what to tell the building society. Help!

Thanks for any replies - Carole.
Old Jul 8th 2003, 7:18 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

It took me nearly 18 months to sell my house in the UK (for a whole load of reasons) and for most of that time I was over here. Thankfully I had good neighbours and a good estate agent who looked after it for me.

I think I just told the BS that it was on the market and would be empty - same for the insurance policies. There was no problem as long as I kept paying the mortgage, though some things were no longer covered by insurance as it was empty. The hardest part was paying a large mortgage in the UK as well as covering rent here - all on an Aussie wage with a poor exchange rate. I ended up getting a six-month repayment holiday, but even so it ate through a chunk of my savings (TESSA etc) that had been earmarked for stuff over here.

I sincerely hope you sell faster than I did :-)
Old Jul 8th 2003, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We are in the same--worse situation We fly in less than 5 weeks and still havent even had an offer on the house !!
Hope you have better luck than us
goodluck
wendy
Old Jul 8th 2003, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Diane&Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the same position, have just asked the halifax for advice and will pass this on to tou all. We have not bought tickets yet but are desperate to be in SA for October school term -start.
What has happened to the housing market? I'm not sure whether to blame the media for exaggerating the situatuin or all the people leaving the country!!
Diane:scared:
Old Jul 9th 2003, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: not sold house yet - going in 9 weeks

i just permanently keep my fingers crossed. we are leaving 21st sept come what may. put ours on the market 6 weeks ago and first day had two offers. one pulled out after a week and the other couple were definate, cash buyers - fantastic! they pulled out when the husband got a contract to work abroad for six months so we were back to square one! ( with 12 weeks to go)
we have a verbal offer but they are yet to sell, theirs only went on market on friday.
but, hey! they rang on monday to say they have a cash offer for theirs and they are coming round tonight! so living in hope that everything goes smoothly but still feel very wobbly!
karen :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:12 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karenvirginia
i just permanently keep my fingers crossed. we are leaving 21st sept come what may. put ours on the market 6 weeks ago and first day had two offers. one pulled out after a week and the other couple were definate, cash buyers - fantastic! they pulled out when the husband got a contract to work abroad for six months so we were back to square one! ( with 12 weeks to go)
we have a verbal offer but they are yet to sell, theirs only went on market on friday.
but, hey! they rang on monday to say they have a cash offer for theirs and they are coming round tonight! so living in hope that everything goes smoothly but still feel very wobbly!
karen :scared: :scared: :scared:
Not a silly question as I have an interest in the West Midlands housing Market , how do you see it right now .
Rising or leveled out?

Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Not a silly question as I have an interest in the West Midlands housing Market , how do you see it right now .
Rising or leveled out?

PB - check out www.upmystreet.co.uk - put in your chosen town/postcode, then click "property prices". Go down to graphs, click on "all sales" - it will give you the movement in house prices (very reliable data, from the RICS, updated quarterly) for that region, and also the nationwide picture - which is represented by a grey line, and shows quite categorically that overall, UK housing market is a flat line.

However, there are many, many regional variations, some up, some down.

For the latest stats. try the www.rics.org (I think) - click on housing market reports - latest one is June.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:25 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rosy
PB - check out www.upmystreet.co.uk - put in your chosen town/postcode, then click "property prices". Go down to graphs, click on "all sales" - it will give you the movement in house prices (very reliable data, from the RICS, updated quarterly) for that region, and also the nationwide picture - which is represented by a grey line, and shows quite categorically that overall, UK housing market is a flat line.

However, there are many, many regional variations, some up, some down.

For the latest stats. try the www.rics.org (I think) - click on housing market reports - latest one is June.

Hope that helps

You are a treasure girl , I shall get onto that right now thank god its working hours I would never have the time for this outside of work.

Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

You are a treasure girl , I shall get onto that right now thank god its working hours I would never have the time for this outside of work.

Thanks PB - nice to know someone appreciates me!!!
I forgot to mention - some of the graphs are very skewed - i.e. huge jumps upwards one quarter, huge jumps downwards the next - this, I believe, is due to the higher/lower number of sales during that time period.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Rising or leveled out?

we are in worcs (bromsgrove) still seems steady here this is a good site

http://www.hometrack.co.uk/

james
Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:51 am
Banned

Originally posted by james & bev
we are in worcs (bromsgrove) still seems steady here this is a good site

http://www.hometrack.co.uk/

james
My son lives around there he seems happy with the area .

Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

My son lives around there he seems happy with the area .

i see from previous posts you mention enville. Great golf club there and looking for members now you could be in luck
Old Jul 9th 2003, 7:00 am
Banned

i see from previous posts you mention enville. Great golf club there and looking for members now you could be in luck
The lad says hes keen so I will get him on the case as soon as possible , do you rate the Bromsgrove Golf Centre?

http://www.bromsgrovegolfcentre.co.uk/

Old Jul 9th 2003, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

The lad says hes keen so I will get him on the case as soon as possible , do you rate the Bromsgrove Golf Centre?

http://www.bromsgrovegolfcentre.co.uk/

haven't played it for a couple of years I think its got alot better/matured. I would say there alot better choices around locally to bromsgrove -
droitwich, kidderminster, redditch CG, etc. But I think bromsgrove is OK it always seems very busy to me for what it is, but then bromsgrove has turned into one big housing estate of 3 & 4 bedroom houses so probably explains it.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 7:23 am
Banned

haven't played it for a couple of years I think its got alot better/matured. I would say there alot better choices around locally to bromsgrove -
droitwich, kidderminster, redditch CG, etc. But I think bromsgrove is OK it always seems very busy to me for what it is, but then bromsgrove has turned into one big housing estate of 3 & 4 bedroom houses so probably explains it.
Okay could you please list courses I should enquire about , memberships are the way to go but I would prefer to play all the courses I can .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.