Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not so expensive? (grocery comparison)

Not so expensive? (grocery comparison)

Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not so expensive? (grocery comparison)

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Cheap in price, yes, but the quality is more often better than the supermarket stuff. I stopped buying from Woolworths when this local butcher opened, as 90% of what they have is much better that Woolworths, AND cheaper.

People on here complain that prices are too high in Australia, but when shown prices that are lower ...
People on here complain that if it is cheap it must be rubbish... without even tasting it !!
No wonder some places like to keep prices high, for those people who refuse to pay lower prices !
Totally agree. My wholesale/retail butcher had pork loin chops and chicken breast fillets( no skin or bone) for $6.99kg this week and stripped sirlion(porterhouse) steak for $7.99kg. The meat is first class. I noted that the local Woolworths had boned, rolled pork leg roasts for $4.99kg. I did buy a piece.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:38 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Buy in bulk from an organic farm - if we've got them in WA, you've got them in Qld. The organic beef we buy works out at $7-8/kg for all cuts if you order a side and is superb. We also get bulk merino lamb - $5-6/kg.

Supermarket/market meat is shite and overpriced.

We also make our own bread, butter, jam, ice cream and sorbet (if I can make this stuff then anyone can. Thermomix is the way to go.
You made me question my meat shopping assumptions so I looked in the internet for direct deliverers. I became impatient and stopped when all the ones I found were offering snooty meats priced in the $teen and beyond ("cough-up or bog-off yer tight-wad").

However, tomorrow I will go out of my way to re-check High Country Meat's (Erindale, Wanniassa, ACT) current offerings. By 'phone $7.99 / kg for yearling rump, $9.+/kg for yearling blade. This shop is in a separate side street from the shopping mall.

Nearby is Erindale Discount Meats Erindale which is in the mall. They want $11.50 / kg for a lump of rump. I have bought from them and found their meat not noticably better than cheaper meat of the same cut in Woolworths.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllGoode
You made me question my meat shopping assumptions so I looked in the internet for direct deliverers. I became impatient and stopped when all the ones I found were offering snooty meats priced in the $teen and beyond ("cough-up or bog-off yer tight-wad").

However, tomorrow I will go out of my way to re-check High Country Meat's (Erindale, Wanniassa, ACT) current offerings. By 'phone $7.99 / kg for yearling rump, $9.+/kg for yearling blade. This shop is in a separate side street from the shopping mall.

Nearby is Erindale Discount Meats Erindale which is in the mall. They want $11.50 / kg for a lump of rump. I have bought from them and found their meat not noticably better than cheaper meat of the same cut in Woolworths.
If you buy it as a side of beef you will get all the cuts that come out of it - fillet, scotch, sirloin, romp, blade, chuck, osco busco etc You should also get mince and sausages. The cost of $8/kg is for all these cuts and is a good price. The last one we bought weighed about 60kgs but it's all cut up, packed and labelled. The meat tastes superb. We had T-bones on the weekend and they were fantastic.

http://www.barleyfield.com.au/default.html
Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy it as a side of beef you will get all the cuts that come out of it - fillet, scotch, sirloin, romp, blade, chuck, osco busco etc You should also get mince and sausages. The cost of $8/kg is for all these cuts and is a good price. The last one we bought weighed about 60kgs but it's all cut up, packed and labelled. The meat tastes superb. We had T-bones on the weekend and they were fantastic.

When all my sons were at home that's the only way I bought meat - sides or whole everything. It's the only way to feed a family at a reasonable cost.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
If you compare MEDIAN earnings, does it make a difference??

UK MEDIAN FULL TIME MALE income for 2008-2009 was £28,300 (source: www.statistics.gov.uk)

OZ MEDIAN FULL TIME MALE income for May 2009 was $59,532 (source: www.abcdiamond.com)
A good point, but...

The UK figure quoted is for "gross pay (before tax) of full-time employees on adult rates " as quoted at http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

The Australian figure is for anyone over 15.

If you exclude the younger age group, with a median of $30,044, you see a median figure closer to $67,000

But also note that when I calculated these Australian figures, I did say that I used a "conservative estimated median wage".
If I had used the original quoted %, that $67,000 would become $70,900

Due to the explained calculation process of these figures, I did not mention any comparison purpose for the figures.

Unfortunately an exact official comparison does not seem available, so a close estimate, from any figures available will have to do for us, whether from me or anyone else

Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:27 pm
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

A good point, but...

The UK figure quoted is for "gross pay (before tax) of full-time employees on adult rates " as quoted at http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

The Australian figure is for anyone over 15.

If you exclude the younger age group, with a median of $30,044, you see a median figure closer to $67,000

But also note that when I calculated these Australian figures, I did say that I used a "conservative estimated median wage".
If I had used the original quoted %, that $67,000 would become $70,900

Due to the explained calculation process of these figures, I did not mention any comparison purpose for the figures.

Unfortunately an exact official comparison does not seem available, so a close estimate, from any figures available will have to do for us, whether from me or anyone else
Aus cost $139.50 / wk * 52 = $7,254 / yr
Aus median adult wage = $67,000 / yr
Aus cost / Aus wage = 10.8%

UK cost £87.27 / wk * 52 = £4,538 / yr
UK median adult wage = £28,300 / yr (post #110)
UK cost / UK wage = 16.0%

UK / Aus = 16.0% / 10.8% = 148.1%
(UK 48.1% more expensive in proportion to adult wages for the basket chosen).
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:38 pm
ABCDiamond

In the Bi-Lo supermarket today...
  • $6.92 1.72 kg Chicken
  • $6.04 1.13 kg Lamb Leg (half)
  • $5.36 1.856 Pork Leg Roast
  • $1.89 Beef Oxo cubes (12)
  • $1.74 Chicken Oxo cubes (12)

Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:40 am
Banned

Back from a 12 km bicycle ride over hill and dale to High Country Meats in Erindale. Not impressed with their offerings. Much the same price or higher than Woolies for the same cuts. Old meat discounted at about the same rate as Woolies too.

Rather than leave empty handed I bought one 1.08 kg tray of yearling rump steak marked down to $5 from $8.63 with a useby date of tomorrow. To be made into a casserole today. Looks OK but if you don't hear from me again, it might have done for me.

PS: chatting to the lady in charge: "Most customers buy the marked down meat.". Obviously hoping for the odd impulse buyer to pay full price. Seems odd to set the price high then as it ages mark it down to sell rather than mark it to sell in the first place. Doubtless they have mastered a higher mathematics than I.

Last edited by AllGoode; Apr 1st 2010 at 4:46 am.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:07 am
ABCDiamond

Seems odd to set the price high then as it ages mark it down to sell rather than mark it to sell in the first place. Doubtless they have mastered a higher mathematics than I.
There are some people that always insist on paying the higher prices

All the time these people are buying, why discount it first ?

Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

In the Bi-Lo supermarket today...
  • $6.92 1.72 kg Chicken
  • $6.04 1.13 kg Lamb Leg (half)
  • $5.36 1.856 Pork Leg Roast
  • $1.89 Beef Oxo cubes (12)
  • $1.74 Chicken Oxo cubes (12)

5.36 for almost 2 kg of pork roast, amazing. What was that, a marked down piece? This weeks Coles/Bi Lo catalogue has it for $6.50 a kilo on special from 9.50 a kilo.

Or has swine flu hit and porks going cheap

cheap meal 2 buck a kilo pork and 29c onions
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:27 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

There are some people that always insist on paying the higher prices
Which is no doubt why woolies and coles think they can rip us off. I (being on a limited income) refuse to buy a lot of meat at full price (or should I say more acurately..overprice!).

When there is a good markdown I'm usually in. I once bought a leg of pork for $10 instead of the original $20 and I swear it was simply the nicest leg I think I've ever eaten
Still have my $4.48 leg of lamb in the freezer (ws originally $14!)
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Which is no doubt why woolies and coles think they can rip us off. I (being on a limited income) refuse to buy a lot of meat at full price (or should I say more acurately..overprice!).

When there is a good markdown I'm usually in. I once bought a leg of pork for $10 instead of the original $20 and I swear it was simply the nicest leg I think I've ever eaten
Still have my $4.48 leg of lamb in the freezer (ws originally $14!)
I like these:
Bartter Chicken Whole Marinated Large 2.1kg $10.44

Weight is about 1.65kg after roasting providing about 1.1kg of cooked meat. Probably can use the carcase for soup but I haven't bothered.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:45 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I said they shouldn't sell them in shops anymore. They should only sell front loaders as they are more efficient.
You seen the price of front loaders compared to top loaders? That's why TL's outstrip FL sales by a country mile. FL's aren't very good for those with back or respitory problems either.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:59 am
Jedi Princess

I like these:
Bartter Chicken Whole Marinated Large 2.1kg $10.44

Weight is about 1.65kg after roasting providing about 1.1kg of cooked meat. Probably can use the carcase for soup but I haven't bothered.
On the subject of chicken, several times I have bought the rotissere cooked, stuffed chook from my local coles at like 33% of the original price. Safeway (woolies) who are only across the road, seldom if ever reduce the prices of theirs, and when they do 40% off is about as good as it gets.

I have met a few people in Perth and here in Victoria who believe coles to be the more expensive. In my experience woolies tends to cost more to shop at (and have fewer markdowns) overall.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I have met a few people in Perth and here in Victoria who believe coles to be the more expensive. In my experience woolies tends to cost more to shop at (and have fewer markdowns) overall.
We have seen that my Woolies shopping basket is 32% (1/1.48 - 1) cheaper than a near equivalent ASDA one in portion of adult male wage terms.

How about posting a Coles receipt that is typical of your usual shopping? Perhaps pricing up the equivalent Woolies basket?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.