Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not Many Brits Or Irish In South Sydney.

Not Many Brits Or Irish In South Sydney.

Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

And Van Isla is on a distinguished road
Default Not Many Brits Or Irish In South Sydney.

I had made the below post on the "meet ups" forum but only had 2 people who live in the area reply. If the post was regarding the Northern Beaches or Coogie/Bondi area I am sure there would be many many more replies.

Therefore Im wondering if the area is just not very popular with Brits and Irish and if not why?

Cronulla for example is a 45 min commute to the CBD (about the same as Dee Why or Manly), It has stunning beaches (i think better then Manly) and the property prices/rentals are better value by far..... For example you can get a beach front 2 bedroom apartment 5 mins from the train station for around $450 per week.

So which is it..? not many poms in the area, not many people on the "meet ups" forum, or people just dont want to be our friends

Post made on meet ups:-

"Wife and I have moved to south sydney (Cronulla). We have been here a few weeks now and are ready to start the difficult job of meeting new friends

We are both in our early 30's and have a toddler to contend with. We have moved out here like many of us not really knowing anyone.

Im a keen golfer if anyone fancies a game. I play off 22.

The place we are in has a pool. We have also just purchased a new 4 burner bbq and i'm itching to test it to the full.

If anyone wants to hook up just let me know."
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Many Brits Or Irish In South Sydney.

SSSSHHHHH Don't tell 'em The Shire is our secret.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
SSSSHHHHH Don't tell 'em The Shire is our secret.
Isnt that a line from lord or the rings?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I know quite a few brits in those areas... they just dont come on here.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by And Van Isla
I had made the below post on the "meet ups" forum but only had 2 people who live in the area reply. If the post was regarding the Northern Beaches or Coogie/Bondi area I am sure there would be many many more replies.

Therefore Im wondering if the area is just not very popular with Brits and Irish and if not why?

Cronulla for example is a 45 min commute to the CBD (about the same as Dee Why or Manly), It has stunning beaches (i think better then Manly) and the property prices/rentals are better value by far..... For example you can get a beach front 2 bedroom apartment 5 mins from the train station for around $450 per week.

So which is it..? not many poms in the area, not many people on the "meet ups" forum, or people just dont want to be our friends

Post made on meet ups:-

"Wife and I have moved to south sydney (Cronulla). We have been here a few weeks now and are ready to start the difficult job of meeting new friends

We are both in our early 30's and have a toddler to contend with. We have moved out here like many of us not really knowing anyone.

Im a keen golfer if anyone fancies a game. I play off 22.

The place we are in has a pool. We have also just purchased a new 4 burner bbq and i'm itching to test it to the full.

If anyone wants to hook up just let me know."

You're unlikely to get any city dwellers coming down to The Shire - we run weekly meets in the CBD, but trying to get people out into the (even nearby) suburbs is nigh on impossible. They may be willing to travel to Paddington or Newtown, but that's about it...

Drop Bidd a PM - she and her husband live in Carlton/Rockdale, and are always partial to a drink.

S
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:21 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You're unlikely to get any city dwellers coming down to The Shire - we run weekly meets in the CBD, but trying to get people out into the (even nearby) suburbs is nigh on impossible. They may be willing to travel to Paddington or Newtown, but that's about it...

Drop Bidd a PM - she and her husband live in Carlton/Rockdale, and are always partial to a drink.

S
Could be your golf handicap is putting them off!!!!
I live in Manly and have been to Cronulla, there is a very good reason why its cheaper there and I really am not being biased. Far far more to see and do in Manly, easier to commute even late at night, and seems a better class of people (apart from the dickheads who get ratfaced in the hotels till 3am and start glassing people!!). That last statement will rile some but I mean it genuinely and with no malice or spite, I could of just caught Cronulla on a bad weekend but it did not impress me at all. As for beaches, well, maybe but not much between them both.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:28 am
LCT
Forum Regular

LCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud of

Hiya,

I'm in my early 30s and have been in Cronulla for the last couple of years. No kids though.

I haven't really met many people in Cronulla. I work in the City so most people I know are through work and live a lot closer to the City than I do.

I find the communute takes me nearly 1.5 hours door to door and it does make it difficult for me to have a social life in an evening or at the weekend when I can't face catching another train!

Would be nice to have a local social life!!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
Could be your golf handicap is putting them off!!!!
I live in Manly and have been to Cronulla, there is a very good reason why its cheaper there and I really am not being biased. Far far more to see and do in Manly, easier to commute even late at night, and seems a better class of people (apart from the dickheads who get ratfaced in the hotels till 3am and start glassing people!!). That last statement will rile some but I mean it genuinely and with no malice or spite, I could of just caught Cronulla on a bad weekend but it did not impress me at all. As for beaches, well, maybe but not much between them both.
Maybe I should say my handicap is in the 30's

I think its a bit harsh to say Manly has a better class of people. Manly Vale is not exactly affluent. Where we live is on the corner of Guanamatta bay and there are some nice properties owned by celebs like Glen McGrath. The harbour has loads of nice yachts and sunseakers so if class is rated by money, there is for sure some of that here.

As for more to see and do, we have the royal national park which is amazing, its like the blue mountains with beaches. We also have the Miranda Westfield which we were informed is one of the biggest shopping centres in the southern hemisphere (dont quote me on that it is what a local told me). There are parks a plenty and electric bbq locations... Dont know what more manly has then this even though I used to live there.

There is no doubt that the commute is better from manly, the manly ferry commute is arguably the most amazing 40 min commute in the world.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LCT
Hiya,

I'm in my early 30s and have been in Cronulla for the last couple of years. No kids though.

I haven't really met many people in Cronulla. I work in the City so most people I know are through work and live a lot closer to the City than I do.

I find the communute takes me nearly 1.5 hours door to door and it does make it difficult for me to have a social life in an evening or at the weekend when I can't face catching another train!

Would be nice to have a local social life!!

I have sent you a pm
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:51 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should say my handicap is in the 30's

I think its a bit harsh to say Manly has a better class of people. Manly Vale is not exactly affluent. Where we live is on the corner of Guanamatta bay and there are some nice properties owned by celebs like Glen McGrath. The harbour has loads of nice yachts and sunseakers so if class is rated by money, there is for sure some of that here.

As for more to see and do, we have the royal national park which is amazing, its like the blue mountains with beaches. We also have the Miranda Westfield which we were informed is one of the biggest shopping centres in the southern hemisphere (dont quote me on that it is what a local told me). There are parks a plenty and electric bbq locations... Dont know what more manly has then this even though I used to live there.

There is no doubt that the commute is better from manly, the manly ferry commute is arguably the most amazing 40 min commute in the world.
Totally agree with your comment about Manly Vale. I wasn't judging class by money, I judge class in social attitudes and community spirit and social conscience, hence not including the drunken bums who plague the hotels!!
But I did caveat it by saying it might rile some and was not meant with spite or malice, but we all have our opinions.
The fact of the matter is rental prices reflect the popularity and location of the properties, Manly Vale is comparatively cheap but Manly itself is fairly expensive compared to Cronulla. I think some of the mid NSW coast areas are superb and are extremely cheap compared to Manly, but, the crux is they are not convenient for commuting which in this fair city is a big big issue.
So, for social events and things to do to meet others and have fun in your neighbourhood and the city there is, between those two suburbs at least, one clear winner. But, its now your home so good luck in finding a solution and I genuinely do hope you make some great friends and enjoy your life here even more.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Totally agree with your comment about Manly Vale. I wasn't judging class by money, I judge class in social attitudes and community spirit and social conscience, hence not including the drunken bums who plague the hotels!!
But I did caveat it by saying it might rile some and was not meant with spite or malice, but we all have our opinions.
The fact of the matter is rental prices reflect the popularity and location of the properties, Manly Vale is comparatively cheap but Manly itself is fairly expensive compared to Cronulla. I think some of the mid NSW coast areas are superb and are extremely cheap compared to Manly, but, the crux is they are not convenient for commuting which in this fair city is a big big issue.
So, for social events and things to do to meet others and have fun in your neighbourhood and the city there is, between those two suburbs at least, one clear winner. But, its now your home so good luck in finding a solution and I genuinely do hope you make some great friends and enjoy your life here even more.

Lets just both agree on 1 thing - they are both better than Hook and where we lived.. Guildford.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:30 am
Social Grenade Thrower

How very dare you!!!!!! Hook was brilliant!! lol I actually do miss it, great village community, great pubs, great commute!!
Love Guildford but could never afford a decent place there.

But I have 3 years here so had to make it a beach lifestyle!!!

Lets just both agree on 1 thing - they are both better than Hook and where we lived.. Guildford.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

How very dare you!!!!!! Hook was brilliant!! lol I actually do miss it, great village community, great pubs, great commute!!
Love Guildford but could never afford a decent place there.

But I have 3 years here so had to make it a beach lifestyle!!!
No hook is a nice place, some good country pubs in that part of the world and beautiful countryside. Miss those types of pubs with real ale and a roaring fire.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

No hook is a nice place, some good country pubs in that part of the world and beautiful countryside. Miss those types of pubs with real ale and a roaring fire.
Oh don't, its really banal but that of all things is what I miss!!!!!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Just back from Moree....55 minutes from landing at Sydney to being at home in The Shire..including getting bus from plane to terminal, waiting for bag, getting bus to long stay car park and then driving home.

That for me is another advantage to living in The Shire as I'm at the airport at least twice a month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.