Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not long before we go downunder :)

Not long before we go downunder :)

Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:16 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Not long before we go downunder :)

My best mate is buying my house and looks like it could go through in about 5 weeks.
Starting to get worried and stressing that we havent prepared enough.
Be interested to here from all your experiences in the build up to leaving and arriving? Any Regrets ? Any tips on the last few weeks would be welcomed

We have no kids and are going to be staying with my Aunt and uncle in Maroochydore.

Airpets are collecting our cats on the day the sale goes through and are flying our 3 cats over to melbourne - as soon as the money is through we are booking flights asap.
Not taking any furniture with us at all - just couldnt see the point in paying 3 or 4 grand for five grands worth of stuff and waiting 3 months for it.

No jobs sorted out yet and no accommodation chosen yet - we plan to rent for first year or too.
Anyone have a preference between Sunshine coast / Brisbane or Gold coast.

Looking for a rental and Ideally only want to pay £120 - £160 a week rent.

What are the Job prospects like in SUnshine coast for Primary school teachers and Computer support.

Thanks all in advance ( and again for all your help in achieving our 136 visa).
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:17 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not long before we go downunder :)

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
My best mate is buying my house and looks like it could go through in about 5 weeks.
Be interested to here from all your experiences in the build up to leaving and arriving? Any Regrets ? Any tips on the last few weeks would be welcomed

We have no kids and are going to be staying with my Aunt and uncle in Maroochydore.

Airpets are collecting our cats on the day the sale goes through and are flying our 3 cats over to melbourne - as soon as the money is through we are booking flights asap.
Not taking any furniture with us at all - just couldnt see the point in paying 3 or 4 grand for five grands worth of stuff and waiting 3 months for it.

No jobs sorted out yet and no accommodation chosen yet - we plan to rent for first year or too.

What are the Job prospects like in SUnshine coast for Primary school teachers and Computer support.

Congratulations on the house sell Mick and good luck with your new life
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:18 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Congratulations on the house sell Mick and good luck with your new life
Ditto Mick....enjoy and be happy x
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Starting to get worried and stressing that we havent prepared enough.Be interested to here from all your experiences in the build up to leaving and arriving? Any Regrets ? Any tips on the last few weeks would be welcomed
Read my blog ....
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:29 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

best of luck with the move Mick!

at least all your stress with be compacted into a few weeks....not a few months! go to the chemist and by some Kalms or rescue remedy....they work a treat!

jackie
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

We're due to complete around 26th of this month, it's all getting a bit fast now! :scared: we have three cats we're shipping out (Airpets) but as we're not actually planning on flying until 21st they'll be in a cattery near my parents from 22nd until we go (waiting to hear when permits have been sorted). We're staying with friends for the first month until the moggies are out of quarantine and we've had the offer of a place to stay rent free as long as we don't mind sorting out the garden and giving it a lick of paint, or alternatively we've go the option of another place for a peppercorn rent of about £35/week!

I'm just sorting out the opening of an account over there (either HSBC as we can do it over the phone or local branch or Westpac).

I think the only things left to do are to clean all the boots and shoes, BBQ and vacuum cleaner and that's it!

Must admit I'm getting a bit nervous about how close everything is as we should have exchanged a week ago and it's all getting a bit close as we've got the shippers confirmed for 24/25th and things are still in the air a bit!

Hope everything goes ok for you, best of luck with everthing!

Best wishes,

Sara
Old Jul 11th 2006, 9:40 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Read my blog ....
bloody brilliant
Old Jul 11th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Good luck with the move.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 11:49 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one mate, Geordie luck to you and yours
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Mick hope it all works out for you.
Another Geordie less in the toon
Great news about the house
Mandy
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Mick,

We are in pretty much the same situation. From what I know...

The misses is a teacher and has looked into this quite heavily. You need to register with the QLD teaching council. You can give a preference to where you want to be placed but they can post you anywhere in QLD. In fact they give preference to teachers who have actually done a stint in the outback when they are recruiting for the more popular places. So I think getting in a good school in the Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast straight away is going to be quite difficult. One option is to go on supply and try and get in that way.

I have no specifics on rentals. We did a reccie visit in April. The Sunshine Coast is quite expensive, especially Noosa. The GC is pretty tourist intensive but could be quite good for short term holiday rentals. There are loads and loads north & south of the river in Brisbane. I think you can pretty much pay what you like... and of course you get what you pay for.

It only leaves me to say... as a fellow toon supporter... please god let us win the Intertoto and please Glen can we have a fit striker
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

Hi,just to say good luck,we are off to Melbourne in 8 weeks so trying to get things tied up here,all the best Dave
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:21 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Oh you lucky buggers! We stayed in Maroochydore for a week last year - it's lovely.. very jealous!!

We thought we'd sold our house until about 2 weeks ago when our buyers buyer pulled out!!! grrrr ... Had 3 estate agents round yesterday - gone back on the market today with a different agent and fingers crossed we've got a viewing later today...

We've had our visas since February.. and just want to get going...

Wish us luck for a first time buyer, keen to move with a mortgage in place and everything...

Good luck in Maroochydore... we're heading for Brissy we think - depends on where chopperboy can get a job ... anybody know of any motorbike shops looking for a top flight welder/bike & trike builder??? Preferably one near the beach?!!! Not that we're picky!

Sonic x