Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not homesick really , but....

Wikiposts

Not homesick really , but....

Old Oct 24th 2003, 6:59 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by tennisoz
Just to stir things up a bit - it might sound like a silly question but did you not know before you went that Australia was a big country, was isolated (especially from Europe), is drier than the UK and not a green and pleasant land, and doesn't have home counties villages with pubs etc, etc? If this is what is important to you don't expect to find it in Oz, you know where to look. I appreciate that you have pointed out there are some plus points for Oz compared to UK but homesickness makes you get these out of proportion to what you miss.

It also just shows how people are different. I have been to London many times in my many years in the UK and I can't get out of the place quick enough. I only go there for business or playing tennis incidentally, not by choice.

I can't possibly imagine that anyone has 'done' Sydney (Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Taronga Zoo, Darling Harbour - nothing else to do or see? That would be like Tower Bridge, Houses of Parliament, Buck Pal, London Eye, Brixton - nothing else to do or see?) As for Sydney being a town of 5 million, I take it you are being ironic and that it is small compared to London (I thought it was just over 4 million though which would make it like one of your Surrey villages!)

There have been countless threads on how bad pubs are in Oz compared to UK I won't start that one up. Again they are just different and serve a different purpose there.

TennisOz

Hey everyone - this guy is not a Britishexpat - he is a loser teacher from Melbourne who couldn't get a job and so moved to a slum in Scotland who would take any teacher that they could get.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:18 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
Hey everyone - this guy is not a Britishexpat - he is a loser teacher from Melbourne who couldn't get a job and so moved to a slum in Scotland who would take any teacher that they could get.
that aint nice fella

Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:32 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

[i].

I can't possibly imagine that anyone has 'done' Sydney (Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Taronga Zoo, Darling Harbour - nothing else to do or see? That would be like Tower Bridge, Houses of Parliament, Buck Pal, London Eye, Brixton - nothing else to do or see?)

TennisOz
I lived 4 years in Sydney, took all my family, friends to the sights, but trust me once you have "done" them all in a day or 2, that really is it. It is a cold city with no heart. Originaly Sydney City was just a commercial city, only a few years ago did they start putting bars and cafes in to bring people in at night. Of all the citys I have been to Sydney is the worst. You just can not compare it with London and say it would be like saying once you have done it that is it! There is so much to see and do in London that would fill a good 2 weeks holiday, Sydney.....all over and done in a day.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 7:41 pm
WBB

Originally posted by nicholls clan
I lived 4 years in Sydney, took all my family, friends to the sights, but trust me once you have "done" them all in a day or 2, that really is it. It is a cold city with no heart. Originaly Sydney City was just a commercial city, only a few years ago did they start putting bars and cafes in to bring people in at night. Of all the citys I have been to Sydney is the worst. You just can not compare it with London and say it would be like saying once you have done it that is it! There is so much to see and do in London that would fill a good 2 weeks holiday, Sydney.....all over and done in a day.

got to agree with that view, i spent a few weeks in sydney and could not wait to leave, it is as you say a cold place and once you have visited the sites there was not much to see, i did however love brissy and cairns,far more cosmopolitan and seemed to be more friendly places.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 8:08 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally posted by welshboybilly
got to agree with that view, i spent a few weeks in sydney and could not wait to leave, it is as you say a cold place and once you have visited the sites there was not much to see, i did however love brissy and cairns,far more cosmopolitan and seemed to be more friendly places.
Never been to Cairns but Brisbane has a warm feeling to it. I liked Brisbane a lot. Worked there for 6 months and used to like going to the city for a drink after work, with Sydney as soon as 5pm was upon me got out as quick as possible.
Old Oct 24th 2003, 8:17 pm
Goodpubmisser

that aint nice fella

True but this guy is a dickhead - search on his name and read some of his posts.

Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:41 pm
Badge

True but this guy is a dickhead - search on his name and read some of his posts.
no GoodPubmisser - that's not what we want to see on a forum. Personal attacks is not really the way to go, or trying to stir things up for someone.

Badge

Old Oct 24th 2003, 9:44 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hes posted more useful information that you have.....

In any case, you would do well to keep opinions like these to yourself in future. Noone here wants to read them.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 12:47 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Anybody got an opinion on how "warm" Adelaide is?

I've only really seen the city briefly as I spent much of my visits with my sister and her family who live and work out in the suburbs whereas I will probably work in the CBD.

Elaine

'With stickers'
Old Oct 25th 2003, 1:38 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Elaine M
Anybody got an opinion on how "warm" Adelaide is?

I've only really seen the city briefly as I spent much of my visits with my sister and her family who live and work out in the suburbs whereas I will probably work in the CBD.

Elaine

'With stickers'

Firstly.....Your from Ilkley !!! Ohh Arrr, i spent many an hour a few years ago, climbing the Ilkley and Otley crags. Best climbing in Yorkshire when combined with Armscliff. Lovely town.

Adelaide....is where my wife went to school. She reckons its the best town in Aus, and is where we would have been heading were it not for our like of Townsville and Brisbane, and the tropical weather.

Can't really comment on how warm it is in terms of people, but in shops etc it seemed friendly enough. I am more of a small town person. I went snorkling a couple of times at Port Noarlunga, and that was great....not just the snorkling but everyone i chatted to on the pier was really nice.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 1:52 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by PeteY
Hes posted more useful information that you have.....

In any case, you would do well to keep opinions like these to yourself in future. Noone here wants to read them.

Please note that I do not intentionally set out to be "useful" to the likes of you. My intention in subscribing to this forum is mainly to communicate with other British Expats and not Brits wanting to emigrate or australians living in Britain.

You are right though - I do generally do keep opinions on people to myself but after being insulted by TennisOz, I felt some obligation to respond. The fact that I consider TennisOz to be a dickhead meant that I did not waste time bandying words.

Old Oct 25th 2003, 1:58 am
A Male Member

Please note that I do not intentionally set out to be "useful" to the likes of you. My intention in subscribing to this forum is mainly to communicate with other British Expats and not Brits wanting to emigrate or australians living in Britain.

You are right though - I do generally do keep opinions on people to myself but after being insulted by TennisOz, I felt some obligation to respond.
Maybe I should'nt have used the word useful....i meant contribute. Tennisoz has contributed far more to this online community than you have, and hence his opinions hold more. Your post on education in oz was in most peoples opinion incorrect, and tennis oz was one who pointed that out to you.

Please post a link to the post that insulted you....i never saw it, and if he genuinly did, i appologise.

The fact that I consider TennisOz to be a dickhead meant that I did not waste time bandying words.
You are quite welcome to consider what you like. I am simply saying that opinions like this one, are not welcome and should be kept to yourself. If you really feel the need to get it off your chest, PM the bloke.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:09 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by PeteY
Firstly.....Your from Ilkley !!! Ohh Arrr, i spent many an hour a few years ago, climbing the Ilkley and Otley crags. Best climbing in Yorkshire when combined with Armscliff. Lovely town.

Adelaide....is where my wife went to school. She reckons its the best town in Aus, and is where we would have been heading were it not for our like of Townsville and Brisbane, and the tropical weather.

Can't really comment on how warm it is in terms of people, but in shops etc it seemed friendly enough. I am more of a small town person. I went snorkling a couple of times at Port Noarlunga, and that was great....not just the snorkling but everyone i chatted to on the pier was really nice.
Ay up Pete!

You've probably been up on the Cow and Calf rocks at Ilkley then - one of the features of the landscape around here that I'll miss next year when I head off to Adelaide.

I liked Adelaide when I visited but recognise that I haven't yet had the opportunity to visit anywhere else for comparison; I'm just playing safe and planning to stay in Adelaide for the time being as I'll have lots of support there from my sister and her family.

Ididn't get a chance to check out the social "after work"/nightlife/cultural sides yet and was wondering if anyone would rate Adelaide favourably or unfavourably against the other capital cities?

Elaine

"With stickers"
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:14 am
WBB

You are right though - I do generally do keep opinions on people to myself but after being insulted by TennisOz, I felt some obligation to respond. The fact that I consider TennisOz to be a dickhead meant that I did not waste time bandying words.
yes i have to agree with petey.

you have just gone down in my books, there was no need of it and you know it.

anything you contribute in future will now be tainted by this outburst and i for one will find it difficult to take you seriously.

Last edited by WBB; Oct 25th 2003 at 2:20 am.

Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:27 am
A Male Member

Originally posted by Elaine M
Ay up Pete!

You've probably been up on the Cow and Calf rocks at Ilkley then - one of the features of the landscape around here that I'll miss next year when I head off to Adelaide.

I liked Adelaide when I visited but recognise that I haven't yet had the opportunity to visit anywhere else for comparison; I'm just playing safe and planning to stay in Adelaide for the time being as I'll have lots of support there from my sister and her family.

Ididn't get a chance to check out the social "after work"/nightlife/cultural sides yet and was wondering if anyone would rate Adelaide favourably or unfavourably against the other capital cities?

Elaine

"With stickers"
Yep been on the cow+calf Great climbing and never as busy as the rock in the Peak district.

Regarding Adelaide culture etc...

The wife likes clubs etc, I prefer pubs, neither of us are really night type people. Adelaide was perfect in that respect for us. Some good clubs, millions of pubs and a great atmosphere at night.

Cinemas.....lots Marion has a multiplex, she reckons its got 30 screens! Rundle mall has 2 or 3, and there is an Imax in Rundle too. She says a few suburbs have thier own.

Clubs.....lots again! She recommends The planet, Heaven, The players and Joplins.

Pubs....English types like the Elephant and Wheelbarrow to a huge selection of aussie pubs.

Cafes. Adelaide has the best selection of resaurants and cafes I saw anywhere in oz. There is every type of cuisine ranging from cute italian jobs at the north Rundle, to posh places like "the eagle on the hill", which is overlooking the City (amazing view at night).

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.