Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not homesick really , but....

Not homesick really , but....

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not homesick really , but....

Does anyone else get that "homesick-but-not-homesick" feeling? That sudden feeling of "Oh my god what have we done?".

Even though I have a great job, fabulous 5 bed house etc I sometimes feel so out of place. Little things such as when I drive past cars that I don't recognise their make or model, I can't pronouce place names or give passers by directions. I sometimes long for the familiarity of my old town, yet I wouldn't want to ever go back there to live.

I guess these first few months have meant a steep learning curve. Does anyone else find it hard to "establish" themselves?

Sorry if this all sounds rubbish.

Gill
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 11:57 pm
owieb

Default Re: Not homesick really , but....

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Does anyone else get that "homesick-but-not-homesick" feeling? That sudden feeling of "Oh my god what have we done?".
No!

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Gill
No
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by renth
No

Yes!!...i know just how you feel. Before we came to Auckland i had never lived anywhere but my home town. It takes a good while to adapt and acclimatise (well i did!!) I think the worst thing for me was not knowing where to find anything i wanted. I still have that now 2yrs on. When i was in London i knew EXACTLY where to get everything and anything.

At first i was like you and it did make me a little homesick, but it does wear off and is only to be expected.

My problem is, i just got used to Aucks and now we're off to Adelaide and it will start all over again! LOL :scared:
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Even though I have a great job, fabulous 5 bed house etc I sometimes feel so out of place. Little things such as when I drive past cars that I don't recognise their make or model, I can't pronouce place names or give passers by directions. I sometimes long for the familiarity of my old town, yet I wouldn't want to ever go back there to live.

I guess these first few months have meant a steep learning curve. Does anyone else find it hard to "establish" themselves?

Gill
No
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:33 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Gill
Oh yes I know exactly what you are feeling, unfortunatly my feeling haven't changed but yours may well.
Good luck and I'am sure you will settle better after a while.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

No!
Loving it too much here!

Slight twang yesterday, best mates 40th birthday & I wasn't there. (Would just like to add she's way way older than me!!).
She's having a big bash on Saturday night so I'm going to get up in the middle of the night and ring her there-don't like to be left out!

Loopy
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

It does take a good few months for that strange feeling to stop. To stop feeling as though you have got "I am a New Immo" stamped on your forehead.

Good luck, when you strart singing along to radio adverts that's a pretty good indicator. There was a post done a while back regarding the signs that will tell you that you know you are in Australia when.....(I know you are in NZ but there may be some Kiwi things in there too), have a look

Diane
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Gill
The fab 5 bed house is completly overated, they just mean work, work and more work, they certainly dont make up for a family and friends as some imagine they will.

You will feel more at home after a few more months tho, as things become familiar. Still after a decade tho, I dont feel remotely Australian, let alone look it, funny that my best mate in Canada which she loves, and will admittedly die there says she still still does not feel Canadian and shes been there 20 years.

I guess the part of us that lived all those years somewhere else does not wash away it will always be there. I can walk into a party in the UK and find a laugh with almost everyone in the room. Over here I always have to watch "my english side" and stand there politely bored to death with footy chat or layby chat. Some parts of us will never be aussie.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:35 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
The fab 5 bed house is completly overated, they just mean work, work and more work, they certainly dont make up for a family and friends as some imagine they will.

You will feel more at home after a few more months tho, as things become familiar. Still after a decade tho, I dont feel remotely Australian, let alone look it, funny that my best mate in Canada which she loves, and will admittedly die there says she still still does not feel Canadian and shes been there 20 years.

I guess the part of us that lived all those years somewhere else does not wash away it will always be there. I can walk into a party in the UK and find a laugh with almost everyone in the room. Over here I always have to watch "my english side" and stand there politely bored to death with footy chat or layby chat. Some parts of us will never be aussie.
Dotty

Whats layby chat?
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Pookin
Dotty

Whats layby chat?
I bet every woman whos ever been to a OZ bbq will know .

Layby is where aussies go into discount stores like Kmart, choose $20/$30 items and pay them off at a couple of bucks a week. Any school/ barbie is full of women nattering about the latest layby. I still cant get to grips with all that mucking about over $20, but life is tough for some people here financially.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
I bet every woman whos ever been to a OZ bbq will know .

Layby is where aussies go into discount stores like Kmart, choose $20/$30 items and pay them off at a couple of bucks a week. Any school/ barbie is full of women nattering about the latest layby. I still cant get to grips with all that mucking about over $20, but life is tough for some people here financially.

I think laybys are a great idea. I had never heard of it till i came here. I am not hard up anymore (used to be years ago) so i dont really need to do it, but i can see the real benefits for people on a tight income. I guess its a way of having a kind of short term credit with no interest, except you dont get the goods till its paid...quite sensible really.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:20 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Gill
Neither of us has felt particularly homesick despite both our mums saying will you be coming home, on a weekly basis . We have found we need to make the effort to keep in contact with friends, it would seem that you quickly move to the back of some peoples minds when your not there. If it wasn't for email I am not sure that we would have contact with most people from home.

We didn't have any great goodbye ceremonies, no time for that, but neither have we had any panics since we arrived, maybe because we know that we can jump on a plane anytime we want, however not going anywhere until it we have had some sun, I never thought I would feel cold when its 24c or 25c but still going out with a cardy...whats that about
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all of the replies.
Yes I know Jirrupin what you mean, I can't believe how excited I am when I get a letter from someone back home. I certainly have had to make that special effort to keep up contacts.

Thanks

Gill
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Gill
Occasionally I do, but only in a mild way. Basically just an "I love it here, but I wish my parents were here too" feeling.

Life involves the odd assessment thought where you wonder if you're happy with the choices you've made, and you look at future choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.