Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not going home, but........

Not going home, but........

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not going home, but........

We've all read the recent threads from people who have packed up and gone back to the UK; they have their own reasons for it and I wish other posters would respect these reasons. Equally there have been some great threads lately from people who are settled here and happy - again, they have their own reasons for this, and are due the same respect.

Why are so many people so quick to judge others by their standards? Everyone is an individual, and everyone is entitled to their own views about how/where to live. And I'll bet a lot of the returnees have reasons that they don't make public, as well. Life's rich tapestry is made that way because we are all individual, and no one has the right to judge anyone else's reasons - because what is true for one person may be way off the mark when looking at what the next person wants out of life.

Yes, I'm waffling, but I hope some of it makes sense. I just want a few posters to learn a bit more tolerance - I guess thats the word. The forum exists for positive/negative/realistic views, and they all have an equal right to be written here.

I feel that also some people do not realise the heart-seeking that goes on when someone is not entirely happy in a new country. If some people knew what others go through in order to try to build a life in a new country, maybe they would not be so quick to condemn people for leaving.
When you know what its like to fight against constant ill-health, and discomfort, to feel lonely and in need of friends that understand you, to be totally baffled by systems and rules and methods of working; then you will start to understand why some people give up and leave.

This country is not paradise, no country is. This country does not suit everyone - no country does. Everyone has the right to make a choice to return or to stay and it takes guts to post their feelings about it. Have some respect, people, and instead of criticising, put yourselves in the shoes of the people writing the threads.

Polly
(sticking it out against the odds cos she's madly in love with The Bloke)
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:32 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Not going home, but........

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We've all read the recent threads from people who have packed up and gone back to the UK; they have their own reasons for it and I wish other posters would respect these reasons. Equally there have been some great threads lately from people who are settled here and happy - again, they have their own reasons for this, and are due the same respect.

Polly
HEAR HEAR!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:35 pm
Professional Princess

Why are so many people so quick to judge others by their standards? Everyone is an individual, and everyone is entitled to their own views about how/where to live. And I'll bet a lot of the returnees have reasons that they don't make public, as well. Life's rich tapestry is made that way because we are all individual, and no one has the right to judge anyone else's reasons - because what is true for one person may be way off the mark when looking at what the next person wants out of life.

Yes, I'm waffling, but I hope some of it makes sense. I just want a few posters to learn a bit more tolerance - I guess thats the word. The forum exists for positive/negative/realistic views, and they all have an equal right to be written here.

I feel that also some people do not realise the heart-seeking that goes on when someone is not entirely happy in a new country. If some people knew what others go through in order to try to build a life in a new country, maybe they would not be so quick to condemn people for leaving.
When you know what its like to fight against constant ill-health, and discomfort, to feel lonely and in need of friends that understand you, to be totally baffled by systems and rules and methods of working; then you will start to understand why some people give up and leave.

This country is not paradise, no country is. This country does not suit everyone - no country does. Everyone has the right to make a choice to return or to stay and it takes guts to post their feelings about it. Have some respect, people, and instead of criticising, put yourselves in the shoes of the people writing the threads.

Polly
How long have you lived in Oz Polly? Do you see yourself pursuading your man to come back in the future?

Has it got easier with time? Sorry to be nosey, just interested.

I miss the banana diaries, I wonder which twat moaned about them, because they made great reading. I love reading peoples diaries about their new life.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Polly

Bless your heart!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
How long have you lived in Oz Polly? Do you see yourself pursuading your man to come back in the future?

Has it got easier with time? Sorry to be nosey, just interested.

I miss the banana diaries, I wonder which twat moaned about them, because they made great reading. I love reading peoples diaries about their new life.
Came here November 2003, PR due (spouse visa) in Feb 2006, then another 2 years for cirizenship. I feel more settled now but my body still hates the climate and my health is much worse now than I arrived.
He's an Aussie through and through though, and would be so miserable in the UK. He needs a medal for sticking by me. I'm braving it out, and praying that I acclimatise one day, while trying not to whinge, but by god its hard at times. When you feel phsically ill it makes everything else harder to deal with, as I'm sure you know.

Re the Banana Diaries - they were a real inspiration, as Jill stayed positive, whatever life threw at her.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:46 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Polly
thats what i tried saying on the other post, but not quite so eloquently.
michelle
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:49 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Polly,

I totally agree as I was surprised that people were so quick to judge that thread. Well said.

Lucy
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:50 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Polly
Well said Polly and very well written. I had no idea that you were poorly and all credit to you for staying positive and thoughtful of others. I wish you well and I am pleased to see you have such a good relationship behind you, makes all the difference.

Anne
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Pollyana,

I have been reading most of your threads for the last year or so. Thank you for your "down to earth", balanced and objective attitude. You also always have nice words for everyone and do your best to answer many posts.

I cannot wait to meet you at one of the Brissy girls night out very soon.

Thanks for your honesty and wisdom.

fabie

Last edited by swissfabs; Aug 23rd 2005 at 3:56 pm. Reason: Typo in Polly's name ;-)
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the rough

Hear Hear!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:59 pm
Professional Princess

Came here November 2003, PR due (spouse visa) in Feb 2006, then another 2 years for cirizenship. I feel more settled now but my body still hates the climate and my health is much worse now than I arrived.
He's an Aussie through and through though, and would be so miserable in the UK. He needs a medal for sticking by me. I'm braving it out, and praying that I acclimatise one day, while trying not to whinge, but by god its hard at times. When you feel phsically ill it makes everything else harder to deal with, as I'm sure you know.

Re the Banana Diaries - they were a real inspiration, as Jill stayed positive, whatever life threw at her.

Ive heard some people become ill in climate change, is it coughs and colds?

Is there a chance you could move to a more suited area of Australia?

Funny though, I was only in Canada a week and I hated the climate for that time of the year.

I cant stand it when it gets too cold and it stuffed up my asthma for months afterwards. I couldnt wait to get home.

You should keep a diary Polly. Because you never know how far you have come along until you read back something that happened to you ages ago.

You can turn a corner without realising it.

And it would make great informative reading.

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Very well put. Yes other posters should be more open minded.My son has lived down under for quite a few years with his family, and knows me well enough to know that his old mum (nearly 62) will be happy when she gets there. It has taken me 3 years to make up my mind to go, and no, I am not expecting it be easy. At the end of the day, I believe there to be not the same problems to face that befalls those to migrate to places like Spain, like language, driving on a different side etc, but i know there will be problems of a sort. It will take adjustment. Also, I realise that living there will not be the same as being on holiday. A lot of folk go with unrealistic expectations, and the old saying " one mans meat is another mans poison" springs to mind. So roll on the time when I go(when the house sells) I cannot wait to take on the challenge. Read other peoples opinions by all means, but everyone is an individual. "Life is a box a chocolates............."
Suzz
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:05 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Not going home, but........

Polly

Have just posted a similar reply to another thread - the 'heated' Take stock thread.

Can't quite get my head around why those who don't settle feel the need to have a go at this country as if it's done them some sort of injustice. Those of us who have decided to make this home do it for our our own personal reasons. If it doesn't work then you move on (don't need to winge about it)

As Polly says 'Home is where your Love is'
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I agree.

I replied to the "Wierdos in Bunnings" thread today asking why certain people feel it's necessary to defend Oz and everything in it all the time. Rather than just admit that there are some thingswrong with Oz just as there are somethings wrong here. e.g. defending the fact that they sell lamps but not the replacement bulbs for them. IMO They sell the lamp they should sell the bulbs, but no! apparently it's to do with population density and distribution!
What a load of crap. Why not just admit they're behind the UK system where you can buy everything under 1 roof?
I/we are going to Oz (eventually!) with the intention of staying forever but who knows how we'll feel when we live there? I intend to embrace all ozzie quirks and strangeness but it doesn't mean you have to like or go home and let someone else who deserves it more to have a go.

Cadman
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:18 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marie66
Have just posted a similar reply to another thread - the 'heated' Take stock thread.

Can't quite get my head around why those who don't settle feel the need to have a go at this country as if it's done them some sort of injustice. Those of us who have decided to make this home do it for our our own personal reasons. If it doesn't work then you move on (don't need to winge about it)

As Polly says 'Home is where your Love is'
Probably for the same reason that some people who are leaving UK take a pop at the UK - nowhere is perfect but if you are unsettled and unhappy everything seems worse. I just wish people would try and think about how the other person is feeling a bit more before jumping on them and verbally mugging them. It takes a lot of guts to say something isn`t working out and it takes even more guts to either stay or return "home". At the end of
the day I think posting your thoughts and feelings on here is a good way of letting off steam and it`s amazing how better it can feel for getting something off your chest. It never ceases to amaze me how supportive people can be on this site and yet others seem to enjoy kicking people when they are down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.