Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

not finding anywhere to live and panicking!!!

not finding anywhere to live and panicking!!!

Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future
Default not finding anywhere to live and panicking!!!

pre children this wouldnt have been a problem but now with a nerlly 4 year old, we need somewhere nice, clean, modern and suitable.

We have lost out on over 4 properties we put in for last week!!!, and i cried alot (when we rented in 04, went and saw property and signed there and then for keys!!)
Everywhere now is an open house with loads of people attending inspections (we always first to arrive and i have hundreds of copies of all of our details, birth certificates, passports, declaration from partners boss etc, and we complete the application there and then, with all of our details) were in sydney.

We have offered more than the weekly price a few times and even offered to pay 6 months totally up front in cash,.....but still not getting anywhere.

We have upped our price now too, to $500 a week, loads to view but just not getting them, not sure if its because we have a child or because we have no rental history (my parents live in dubai so we have always lived in their house in uk, and so evrything inc bills in their names)

dont know what more we can do really, offered to pay 6 months upfront!!, not sure what more to do.

Anyone else had problems or advise

(also we only have until the 19th feb to move out, otherwise the place we are in is $2000 a week!!!)

thanks kelly
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:54 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not finding anywhere to live and panicking!!!

Originally Posted by taylor25
pre children this wouldnt have been a problem but now with a nerlly 4 year old, we need somewhere nice, clean, modern and suitable.

We have lost out on over 4 properties we put in for last week!!!, and i cried alot (when we rented in 04, went and saw property and signed there and then for keys!!)
Everywhere now is an open house with loads of people attending inspections (we always first to arrive and i have hundreds of copies of all of our details, birth certificates, passports, declaration from partners boss etc, and we complete the application there and then, with all of our details) were in sydney.

We have offered more than the weekly price a few times and even offered to pay 6 months totally up front in cash,.....but still not getting anywhere.

We have upped our price now too, to $500 a week, loads to view but just not getting them, not sure if its because we have a child or because we have no rental history (my parents live in dubai so we have always lived in their house in uk, and so evrything inc bills in their names)

dont know what more we can do really, offered to pay 6 months upfront!!, not sure what more to do.

(also we only have until the 19th feb to move out, otherwise the place we are in is $2000 a week!!!)

thanks kelly

Where are you??
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Where are you??

Sydney
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:01 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Sydney
Doh!@ Sorry can't help in Brisbane
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Doh!@ Sorry can't help in Brisbane
Me neither!

Only thing I can think of is try to get some references from someone, they can be personal ones - is there anyone in Sydney that would say they know you and that you are good friends, neat and tidy etc? Or someone in the UK who is willing to e-mail the agents and say that?

I know I have given references for people in Adelaide, and they are fine with it.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

The whole rental thing is awful.Its especially bad now as people are more wary about how their money is spent etc getting morgages is not as easy and new migrants are having to rent as their house hasnt sold back in the Uk or wherever.
I cant give you any advise really as when we arrived i convinced my OH to buy straight away rather than rent (i'd done my homework) but not everyone is in that position ,we nearly weren't ,completed on our house only 2 weeks prior to departing !!!
I can only suggest you move into a homestay type place, which will be cheaper,still somewhat homely but it will give you some breathing space while you keep looking.
Just wanted to wish you luck and hope you find somewhere soon.
I'm a great believer in fate ... you obviously weren't meant to have the other places ,i'm sure the current tenants will find the landlord to be a homicidal maniac,or the kitchen will flood or the washing machine will blow up ,or the neighbours are nutters .............. !!!!!!!!
Keep smiling ,
Sunbound
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sunbound
,i'm sure the current tenants will find the landlord to be a homicidal maniac,or the kitchen will flood or the washing machine will blow up ,or the neighbours are nutters .............. !!!!!!!!

Or all of the above!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

jan&co will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by taylor25

thanks kelly

We found our rental the afternoon before we were supposed to move out! That was 4 years ago, in Brisbane. But it goes to show that things will work out some how... just keep trying. All the best!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

helsbells79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure where you are looking in Sydney....or whether this will help....but we have just moved into a rental so know all about the 'joys' of the open house thing....

We found a couple of the agents didn't seem to like us as we hadn't rented before (we owned our place in the UK...been on the property ladder for 8 years). But, the agent we have leased with was excellent....very understanding of our situation. It was Callaghers in Annandale, so I think they only cover the inner west.

Where are you living now....can you get some kind of reference from them?

Sorry, not much help....but can sympathise with you as we never thought we'd find something. Unfortunately that price bracket is so competitive, so I think you have to 'make friends' with the real estate people so that they want you to have the house. It's crazy that you are offering 6mths up front and still getting no-where. Have you asked the agents for any feed back about your un-successful applications??

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I would ask for feedback too, could you get a refernece from your mortgage lender? I didn't have a job when I had to get a place, but paid 3 months up front, they would only give me a 6 month lease but that worked.

Good Luck
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wendy
Me neither!

Only thing I can think of is try to get some references from someone, they can be personal ones
Poor you Kelly. You must be feeling awful. Wendy is right. You need references and from the sounds of it lots of them! Get as many as you can. If you have only ever lived in your parents house contact them & ask them to email a reference through to you to forward on. Your prospective landlord doesn't need to know you are related unless you both have the same unusual surname. Use past employers, family and friends to write character witnesses saying how wonderfully immaculate you home has always been, how your house was always clean and tidy. Use photographs of your previous home to show how lovely & tidy it was. You can even approach the companies that your paid your bills through e.g. British Telecom or whoever & get them to say you always paid on time although they can take a while to come through. Hand in bank statements showing your balance to prove you can pay. If you have any wage slips here yet hand those in too. Use anything and everything that you can get hold of to show that you can afford the place, and have done all you can to love and care for your home in the past and won't trash your next one.

In the meantime, jump on www.wotif.com & find some last minute fairly cheap and semi decent accommodation for 19th feb to last you a week, you can always cancel 24 hours beforehand without being charged and the stress may come off a little if you are assured that you won't be on the streets.

Keep calm and don't panic, you'll get there. Remember to find time to do something each day that you will look forward to and enjoy or you'll burn yourself out.

Last edited by Sunshine Coast Settlers; Feb 11th 2009 at 3:54 am.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

thanks for all the advise, our situation is probably is little more difficult in that we have no previous rental or mortgage history.
As my parents lived in dubai, they let my partner move into our house where we brought our daughter up, they are very genourous parents and as they had no mortgage to pay we stayed rent free and as my dad is very very genourous he continued to pay every bill, so we have nothing like any gas, electric, phone bills ...we have nothing!!..lol

The only good thing is that my parents are here now and have tonight wrote us a letter/reference sayong they will be paying our rent and are willing to pay it all up front and that it come straight from their bank if needed and a copy of their very healthy bank statement, so if that doesnt help i dont know what will to be honest.

(My partner doesnt earn a fortune butwe can afford it ourselves, and have plenty of savings to last us and can provide bank statements of our own and we get family payments from centrelink)

Also we did rent for 6 months in vaucluse back in 03/04 but thought that was too long ago to mention?!

Anyway more to see tommorrow, probably seen about 30 now..lol, some huge and gorgeous, others i cant even mention they were that bad..lol, as someone else said, what will be will be.

My dad said he will just buy me somewhere if needs be, so am sure things will work our in the end....fingers crossed, touch wood.

Just to add, we are looking inner west too, five dock and abbotsford only and someone mentioned Callagher....unfortunately that was one of the ones that let us down and the others they showed us were just horrible, your right though, you definately need to make friends with them, as i often get a vibe when i think they dont like us..lol

thanks guys

kelly

Last edited by taylor25; Feb 11th 2009 at 9:45 am.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

yep get feedback and say 'WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET THIS HOUSE, I have to move by xxx, how can YOU help me make that happen?'
Old Feb 11th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kelly it sounds like things might be falling into place with your parents help - hope it all works out!

A question for everyone...is it worth getting a fake reference from a landlord?? We've owned our home for the last 5 years, but I don't think I want to go through the hassle that Kelly's going through now, so was thinking of getting a reference from friends who own a few properties here... Is that a really such a bad, evil thing to do??
Old Feb 11th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ryem78
Kelly it sounds like things might be falling into place with your parents help - hope it all works out!

A question for everyone...is it worth getting a fake reference from a landlord?? We've owned our home for the last 5 years, but I don't think I want to go through the hassle that Kelly's going through now, so was thinking of getting a reference from friends who own a few properties here... Is that a really such a bad, evil thing to do??
References from the UK don't mean bugger all over here
We got here in 2004 and had to pay 12 months rent up front to secure a place.... the evil b'stards wouldn't even give a discount for paying up front either.

On a side note........ can I borrow your Dad ....... mine's skint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.