Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

not excited yet - am I normal

Wikiposts

not excited yet - am I normal

Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:39 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Question not excited yet - am I normal

Hello

I am currently working my last week at work - I finish on Friday. One week after that the removals come (the 12th). My house should sell any day now, and I move out of the rented accommodation we are living in and into a hotel on the 26th (less than 4 weeks away). We fly off on the 29th, and land in Melbourne on the 1st October (my 2nd wedding anniversary).

By rights I should be feeling nervous, excited, sad, happy, scared ...something.

I feel nothing. I'm actually getting sick of people asking me if I am excited. Should I be? Am I dead inside perhaps? Please tell me this is normal.

Yours un-emotionally

Mel
Old Sep 1st 2003, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: not excited yet - am I normal

Originally posted by mika24me
Hello

I am currently working my last week at work - I finish on Friday. One week after that the removals come (the 12th). My house should sell any day now, and I move out of the rented accommodation we are living in and into a hotel on the 26th (less than 4 weeks away). We fly off on the 29th, and land in Melbourne on the 1st October (my 2nd wedding anniversary).

By rights I should be feeling nervous, excited, sad, happy, scared ...something.

I feel nothing. I'm actually getting sick of people asking me if I am excited. Should I be? Am I dead inside perhaps? Please tell me this is normal.

Yours un-emotionally

Mel
I think its gonna hit you mel, maybe when you start saying goodbye's. I feel a bit like a swan at the minute calm on the surface with everyone especially (Bev) but paddling pretty hard underneath. If a move like this dosen't get you the slightest bit excited or nervous then you must have ice running through your veins (or neat alcohol). I think another couple of nights like I've been having lately I must start to be getting close on the neat alcohol.

James
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:07 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by james & bev
I think its gonna hit you mel, maybe when you start saying goodbye's. I feel a bit like a swan at the minute calm on the surface with everyone especially (Bev) but paddling pretty hard underneath. If a move like this dosen't get you the slightest bit excited or nervous then you must have ice running through your veins (or neat alcohol). I think another couple of nights like I've been having lately I must start to be getting close on the neat alcohol.

James
it's funny, my husband has always said I have a block of ice where my heart should be (becuase I am always cold). Perhaps he was right all along, I am the Ice Queen.

Hmm, being a Queen has cheered me up somewhat!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:29 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

don't worry about it, that's just your personality. I used to humour people with a "yes" when they asked if I was excited about the imminent move.

If you share the same kind of emotions as me then you'll probably not feel the least bit homesick when you get here either.

I came over alone. I said goodbye to my mam and dad at the bus station. Didn't get emotional (my mother did later on I'm told). I spent the 4 hour coach trip just absorbing the sights around the M4 etc for the last time, rather than think about the trip ahead or the family left behind.

Not everyone will admit to being calm about it all.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry! You probably just haven't got the energy to be excited, after all the hurdles you've had to get through! I'm just like you - even when I had my two kids I just thought, "Oh that's my new baby over there..." whereas you hear about some people getting all gooey eyed!!! (Not that I don't love my kids or get excited over them!)
Hope everything goes well,
stay grounded!
Larissa
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

it's funny, my husband has always said I have a block of ice where my heart should be (becuase I am always cold). Perhaps he was right all along, I am the Ice Queen.

Hmm, being a Queen has cheered me up somewhat!

Hahaha, Snap! So does my hubby!

I guess I'm just not a "flapper" about things, I just get on with it. I will admit to a couple of sleepless nights over the details but the closer I get to departure date the calmer I am. Hubby sits on the sofa saying "OMG, we have so much to dooooo!" and I'm just nodding away thinking all he has to do is show up at the airport! I've got to pack, organise, ship the cats etc and with two months to go I haven't packed a single thing yet and I say every weekend that I should start clearing out the closets!!!!

Good luck to all

Wannabe Wallaby
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:23 am
Hussy

thanks you for your replies

I feel a bit more normal now. I think husbands have it easy. Even before we were married by husband let me handle everything.

Funny story:

6 weeks before my wedding my then Fiance said to me "how long until we get married?"

"six weeks" says I

"OMG, we better start organising things then" says himself.

Grrr, what did he think I had been doing for the past six months!!!!

I think I have just got too much to do to allow myself to feel any emotions. Ho hum, such is life

Mel
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Hi Mel

I'm pretty much feeling the same as you too. Admittedly my circumstances are a bit different from yours, but as yet I'm not really feeling any excitement about going back home.

I left work on Friday and fly out on the 17th September back home to Melbourne. I'm taking my 4 year old daughter with me, but him outdoors is staying behind until the house is sold - even though we haven't even put it on the market yet

I thought that I'd be panicking or something by now as I do have alot to do before I leave, but I'm not really thinking about it too much. I suppose my theory is if I don't get it done before I leave, Nick can do it once I'm gone.

My main priortiy is sorting out all of "my things" so that I can just say to Nick whatever's left in the house when I'm gone, please pack it. This means he doesn't have to decide what to keep and what to throw, and as he's one on those miniamalilst people, if I didn't sort everything out before I left, I know that there'd only be half the stuff shipped out to Oz that should be going.

Hope everything goes well for you.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:29 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Hello

Yours un-emotionally

Mel
You sound very much like Mrs. Chippy. She tends not to be excited, or any of the other emotions in your list until the event (whatever it may be) is actually happening.

As for 'normal', what is normal?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Mel you tell us you land Melbourne 1st Oct your 2nd wedding anniversary then right at the bottom of your page it says Adelaide here we come,after the partying you will need to be numb to walk from Melbourne to Adelaide :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:02 pm
Hussy

Originally posted by chris hogan
Mel you tell us you land Melbourne 1st Oct your 2nd wedding anniversary then right at the bottom of your page it says Adelaide here we come,after the partying you will need to be numb to walk from Melbourne to Adelaide :scared: :scared:
Hmm, I think I will drive from Melbourne to Adelaide in that case!

Actually, we are staying in Melbourne for one month whilst our dog is in quarantine as this will give us a chance to have a bit of a holiday and visit some friends in Geelong. Then we are off to Adelaide with a view to settling there, but if we don;t like it we may move back to Melbourne.

t's all a bit up in the air at the moment!

Thanks for all your replies guys. I feel much better now, knowing I am not the only one feeling (or not feeling) like this.

Mel
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

Mel,
On the husband leaving u to do everything topic - i totally agree. To summarise i get married in 11 weeks, have a reception in Kenya ( where we are orig from), sorting honeymoon, then straight to oz for a scouting mission and then the final move, AND MY Financee ( he likes to think so) has not flinched an eyelid. he is so laid back he might break his back!! so u are not the only one..and to make matters worse, i am freelance and they might replace me in a month ( unexpectedly!) ans so i will be jobless!

so men/husbands are very slly! ( even though i think he is the most wonderful man in the world!)
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:31 pm
Hussy

Originally posted by salonit
Mel,
On the husband leaving u to do everything topic - i totally agree. To summarise i get married in 11 weeks, have a reception in Kenya ( where we are orig from), sorting honeymoon, then straight to oz for a scouting mission and then the final move, AND MY Financee ( he likes to think so) has not flinched an eyelid. he is so laid back he might break his back!! so u are not the only one..and to make matters worse, i am freelance and they might replace me in a month ( unexpectedly!) ans so i will be jobless!

so men/husbands are very slly! ( even though i think he is the most wonderful man in the world!)
Best of luck with your wedding. Just make sure that you allow someone else to take over on the day so you can relax and enjoy the wonderful day, planned to perfection by your own good self.

Mel