Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not enough points - what about franchise opportunities?

Not enough points - what about franchise opportunities?

Old May 20th 2004, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Cookie Crew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not enough points - what about franchise opportunities?

Hi all

Just been in contact with Concept Australia in Manchester and am absolutely gutted because we've fallen at the first hurdle.

After a short telephone conversation, it would seem that both my husband any myself score well short of required 120 points

Has anyone ever been successful getting to Oz by buying into a business franchise?

We're desparate for any advice.

Thanks

Helen & Phil Cook
Old May 20th 2004, 7:43 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not enough points - what about franchise opportunities?

Originally posted by Cookie Crew
After a short telephone conversation, it would seem that both my husband any myself score well short of required 120 points
Bad luck CC. Have you thought about State Nomination (STNI)? You only need 70 points for this. Have a look at:
http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/
http://www.development.tas.gov.au/lifestyle/stni.html
http://www.migration.vic.gov.au/web/...A0018275D?open
Old May 20th 2004, 10:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Business migration is an easy way to get yourself into a complete mess.

- you normally only get a temp visa initially with PR following only if your business plans work out
- you need an existing business track record, either as an owner, senior executive, or investor
- DIMIA often take a dim view of franchise businesses (depends on circumstances).

I would also point out that a new country is challenging enough without trying to get involved in an unfamiliar business.

Options sound like:
- as someone else has posted, see what state nomination options come up
- look at the SIR visa when that's introduced
- see if DIMIA change the points test in the next few months. They may give more points for things like spouse skills.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Cookie Crew
Hi all

Just been in contact with Concept Australia in Manchester and am absolutely gutted because we've fallen at the first hurdle.

Has anyone ever been successful getting to Oz by buying into a business franchise?

We're desparate for any advice.

Thanks

Helen & Phil Cook
Old May 20th 2004, 10:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Victoria have set up a new website.
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

Jeremy

Originally posted by wmoore
Bad luck CC. Have you thought about State Nomination (STNI)? You only need 70 points for this. Have a look at:
http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/
http://www.development.tas.gov.au/lifestyle/stni.html
http://www.migration.vic.gov.au/web/...A0018275D?open
Old May 20th 2004, 10:28 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JAJ
Victoria have set up a new website.
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

Jeremy
That explains why the old one seems to be in trouble or completely unavailable lately.
Old May 20th 2004, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

my reccomendation to you:

Pick whichever one of you has the smallest income.

The victim should then choose one of the following 2 trades:

1. Hairdressing
2. Nursing

Go do the training for a few years.
Work for 12 months
apply again.
Old May 21st 2004, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I agree here with JAJ.
We came out on a business visa, and no way would we think of getting a franchise. They obviously are wanting a part of the profit, and with some it is quite a chunk. Whenever you start a business, it takes time to build up customers and you could well be struggling right from the start.

Luckily, we opened a restaurant, as that is what we are experienced in, and things are going well, but winter is ahead of us and we know that things will be quieter for that time.

whisky
Old May 21st 2004, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Jamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really niceJamie Smith is just really nice

Hi there

Business is more fun than that.

Just do your research and due diligence before entering into the contract.

The business plan is not difficult work if you know the formula and protocols involved for each State. A good franchise with a few jobs is still welcomed, it's the one man band's they want to avoid.

And some States have business support packages to help get on your feet.

Thinking and planning, is all.

Originally posted by whisky
I agree here with JAJ.
We came out on a business visa, and no way would we think of getting a franchise. They obviously are wanting a part of the profit, and with some it is quite a chunk. Whenever you start a business, it takes time to build up customers and you could well be struggling right from the start.

Luckily, we opened a restaurant, as that is what we are experienced in, and things are going well, but winter is ahead of us and we know that things will be quieter for that time.

whisky