Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not alot of cash!!!

Not alot of cash!!!

Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Not alot of cash!!!

:scared: We got some great news yesterday....our TRA was at long last accepted.Now it all seems real ,and i must admit we are starting to panic abit,not about move to Perth,but the amount of money,or should i say lack of it, that we will be taking out there with us.
To cut along story short,both split from previous partners a while back,and moved into rented accomadation together,where we have been ever since.The area we live in unfortunatley has one of the highest house prices in the country,and we have found it impossible to get back on the housing market,so basically have no property to sell.
The money that we have saved always seems to be used on other things like tax bills etc.....and is slowley dwindeling away,and now not sure if our sponser out in Perth ,my Uncle is in a position to put down sponser money or if we are going to have to sort that out ourselves.
So by next Jan(unless we win the lottery that is ..... )looks like we will be emigrating with just the clothes on our back,and a couple of thousand dollars!We are lucky in one sense that my sister and hubby will also be coming to ,and we have all decided to rent a house together for six months or so.They have already said they would help us out money wise if need be ,but really dont want to be a burden on them !Basically if anyone out there has been in a similar position to us ,could they let us know how easy it will be to get jobs near enough straight away.Partner is Landscape gardener..also can turn his hand to any trade....and i,m willing to do anything ..within reason that is!........Michelle x :scared:
Old Feb 17th 2005, 4:50 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Default Re: Not alot of cash!!!

Originally Posted by lelchelle
:scared: We got some great news yesterday....our TRA was at long last accepted.Now it all seems real ,and i must admit we are starting to panic abit,not about move to Perth,but the amount of money,or should i say lack of it, that we will be taking out there with us.
To cut along story short,both split from previous partners a while back,and moved into rented accomadation together,where we have been ever since.The area we live in unfortunatley has one of the highest house prices in the country,and we have found it impossible to get back on the housing market,so basically have no property to sell.
The money that we have saved always seems to be used on other things like tax bills etc.....and is slowley dwindeling away,and now not sure if our sponser out in Perth ,my Uncle is in a position to put down sponser money or if we are going to have to sort that out ourselves.
So by next Jan(unless we win the lottery that is ..... )looks like we will be emigrating with just the clothes on our back,and a couple of thousand dollars!We are lucky in one sense that my sister and hubby will also be coming to ,and we have all decided to rent a house together for six months or so.They have already said they would help us out money wise if need be ,but really dont want to be a burden on them !Basically if anyone out there has been in a similar position to us ,could they let us know how easy it will be to get jobs near enough straight away.Partner is Landscape gardener..also can turn his hand to any trade....and i,m willing to do anything ..within reason that is!........Michelle x :scared:
Money is the route of all evils. It doesn't buy happiness. As long as you have the air fare, desire to succeed and the grit and determination to come out on top, then the amount of available cash is insignificant.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Well good on ya for having a go, we have kids and its money thats always stopped us before. but we are on that road now. Good luck Chris
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:02 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Not alot of cash!!!

at least you have each other and the chance to go to australia .....
be happy with that ....money will come later
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lelchelle

Michelle

In the end you make do with what you have and the bit that you have spend it wisely - as long as you get here and get a job well the rest is history!

Good luck
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:20 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil.b
It doesn't buy happiness.
It can buy the things that make you happy though .
Old Feb 18th 2005, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michelle
I really admire your grit and determination and my heart is on the side of the "money doesn't make you happy" lot.
However, 2 grand won't go far over here... everyone seems to go through money fast here as there are so many start up costs etc. We are finding things hard at the moment as work took ages to come through for hubby and our car (old banger) has just died. We went through our savings pretty quickly and had a pretty frugal Christmas (but spent a few hundred for my birthday...ooops). We aren't particularly materialistic either. Things are harder to deal with as we don't really know our way round things as we did in the UK and you migration is also an emotional experience.
Does your husband hope to continue in landscaping? If so, will he be shipping tools over and how will you afford a ute for the buisness? I would also get him to take photos of his best work and get a website together now, which you can update in Australia. It would make things a lot easier as you will have the pressures of daily living once you get here.
I sincerely wish you all the best and hope I haven't been too negative.
Larissa
Old Feb 18th 2005, 3:57 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

There was another thread on this recently - quite a few people have made it over with very little, myself included, though we do have the comfort of a reasonable cash buffer. Thankfully we've not had to dip into it (as yet)....

Good luck!
Old Feb 18th 2005, 5:14 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get a job, you will be fine.
Lathlain on this forum is also a gardener/landscaper. Try and pm him, I believe he had trouble getting work, don't know about now...

We took all our furniture with us, but still had quite a few startup costs... car, registrations for stuff, licenses, connection fees for electric, gas, phone etc.
Then all the little extra's you need to get for your house, even if you bring everything, and for the garden. And stuff like a coolbox/esky and things for the beach
Also, we ended up buying a lot of new clothes(cheaply though), because we needed more summer clothes.

Oh, and then there's a hire car and accomodation while you find a car to buy and a house to rent (one week should do it, we did it in 2, time does fly though!! And we did do a bit of fun stuff inbetween)

Anyway, we had about $8000 with us, and didn't need it(except for the car), because we both got jobs within a few weeks.
And we stayed with friends for the first 2 weeks for free, while we found a rental house.

If we had had to buy beds, cubboards, lounge, tv, washingmachine, fridge, kitchen stuff, linnen etc etc etc etc we wouldn't have got far!!

Anyway, I don't know your exact situation, so can't help anymore. I hope this helped a bit...

Good luck!!!

Simone

Last edited by Simone; Feb 18th 2005 at 5:39 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:35 am
Just Joined

tracy dodds is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, congrats on TRA acceptance. We don't live to far from you (between Andover and Winchester). My husband is also a Landscaper and does mainly drives and patios. While we were in Perth 18 months ago on a visit he was offered a job laying block paved driveways on pretty much any terms he wanted (as an employee, subcontract, self employed etc). He was told there is a lot of work available for this with all the new building going on. Obviously he couldn't take it as we were only on a visit, but finding work hopefully shouldn't be a problem. We are hoping to move to Perth Julyish (Visa not granted yet but hopefully soon!).
There is a thread somewhere on here headed something like 'how little money have you gone with'.
Hope this helps a bit, try not to worry
Tracy
Old Feb 18th 2005, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=lelchelle]:scared: we are starting to panic abit,not about move to Perth,but the amount of money,or should i say lack of it, that we will be taking out there with us. QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you. I too split from a relationship a while back, and have been renting since. Its also getting to me, the amount of money i won't have, but i look at it like this. I have a car to sell, and will save as much as possible before i go (beginning or end of summer in UK depending when visa comes) and i have the tenasity to get a job when i get there. I'll sell icecream on the beach if i have to. There are probably a hundred people lining up for this job already Theres also the first time buyers grant which should help people like us get on the ladder

All i know is i'll have the sun on my face, the beach to walk on, and a clean slate to create whatever life i want. After all life is what you make it, right?!?

Good luck!