Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northern Territory

Northern Territory

Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

libra81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Northern Territory

Any nurses working in the Northern Territory, any information greatly appreciated, housing, education (my son is 5) etc.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Northern Territory

Would also welcome any NT migrant info
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

Originally Posted by libra81
Any nurses working in the Northern Territory, any information greatly appreciated, housing, education (my son is 5) etc.
Cant help with anything on nursing but do check out the prices for house rental if you are planning on renting-there are a couple of websites that are very good. I have found it is very expensive to rent - a housing shortage apparently.I arrived darwin in december.Rest of family arrive early feb and havnt really started looking at schools yet.On the posative side I love the tropical life style and everyone seems very laid back here!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

cherrybrandy is on a distinguished road

Not much info on nursing, but apparently a shortage, next door neighbor is a nurse at RDH and she enjoys it.

With regards to schools my daughter is 11, did alot of research and she chose one before we arrived and then visited it. Due to this we moved to the suburb in which the school was located. (It is similar to the UK that you need to live in the catchment area for your child to be able to attend a particular school). However after a very short period she did not like it. Following talking to other ex-pats who had also had trouble with their children at this particular school we decided to move her to a private one. I have got to say she loves it and is a lot more settled in oz due to this move. I have spoke to alot of people due to the profession i am in, i am aware that the feedback appears to be if parents can afford it they will send their children to a private school. The cost of sending your child to a private school is very inexpensive compared to the UK.

With regards to rent, We live in rented accommodation at the moment and it is expensive. Also before coming over it may be advisable to get references if you are living in rented property. When we arrived in July 08 the rental market was booming and there were a number of families looking at each property. If you liked the property you then needed to submit an application with references and then it was up to the landlord to decide who could live in it ( a bit different from the UK). We was refused one and accepted for another and we are happy living in there at the moment until we find something to buy.

It is a bit quiet in Darwin at the mo, due to the wet season. We arrived in the dry season and loved the markets which also cater for children (at Palmerston they have a children's entertainer). The lifestyle is very laid back and there are beautiful places you can visit.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Cherrybrandy,

Have only been to Darwin once - Easter 94 - and it was hot, very hot, just after the wet but what a place to live.

Would like to put the children in private schools over there - they are at one here at present due to occupation. Might I ask where do yours go in Darwin and what are the fees. I remember that when I taught in Qld the fees at the top school were $12,000 when the school I taught at in the UK were charging £13,000!

The irony of the rental is that we are landlords here. Without renting how do you get references- although thinking about it we are in employer accommodation so perhaps this would help.

Can I ask what line of work you and OH are in? Are you happy with the move and what Darwin offers?

Bezza
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oldandbold
Cant help with anything on nursing but do check out the prices for house rental if you are planning on renting-there are a couple of websites that are very good. I have found it is very expensive to rent - a housing shortage apparently.I arrived darwin in december.Rest of family arrive early feb and havnt really started looking at schools yet.On the posative side I love the tropical life style and everyone seems very laid back here!
Hi thanks for that, do you know which websites to look at for rentals. Also do you know what the area is like next to the hospital.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cherrybrandy
Not much info on nursing, but apparently a shortage, next door neighbor is a nurse at RDH and she enjoys it.

With regards to schools my daughter is 11, did alot of research and she chose one before we arrived and then visited it. Due to this we moved to the suburb in which the school was located. (It is similar to the UK that you need to live in the catchment area for your child to be able to attend a particular school). However after a very short period she did not like it. Following talking to other ex-pats who had also had trouble with their children at this particular school we decided to move her to a private one. I have got to say she loves it and is a lot more settled in oz due to this move. I have spoke to alot of people due to the profession i am in, i am aware that the feedback appears to be if parents can afford it they will send their children to a private school. The cost of sending your child to a private school is very inexpensive compared to the UK.

With regards to rent, We live in rented accommodation at the moment and it is expensive. Also before coming over it may be advisable to get references if you are living in rented property. When we arrived in July 08 the rental market was booming and there were a number of families looking at each property. If you liked the property you then needed to submit an application with references and then it was up to the landlord to decide who could live in it ( a bit different from the UK). We was refused one and accepted for another and we are happy living in there at the moment until we find something to buy.

It is a bit quiet in Darwin at the mo, due to the wet season. We arrived in the dry season and loved the markets which also cater for children (at Palmerston they have a children's entertainer). The lifestyle is very laid back and there are beautiful places you can visit.
thanks for the information i will certainly be busy looking into everything
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone have any info regarding Nhulunbuy/Gove
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice

try www.realestate.com.au
As far as references as we hadnt rented in the uk for over 10 years I
1.got references of our neighbours
2.had bank statements from oz and uk
3.got a work reference
4.as my uk house was on the market I also took along the details and photos of that to reassure landlord we would be good tenants.
5.work contract
Was warned with their system over here it could take a couple of days to find out if i was approved but after drowning them in a sea of paperwork I was approved in a couple of hours.

Dont knowwhat the area is like near the hospital but I would think anywhere in darwin wouldnt be much more than 20 mins drive.
Palmerston quite a bit longer.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

There is a new suburb - Lyons - it is right next to the hospitals. It should be a nice suburb, the Australian Defence Force owns about 40% of the housing there, the remainder is prime for renting as they are brand new. There are some vacant plots yet to be sold on. Plots are a bit small compared to older houses though.
Other suburbs in the area are pretty good too. Best bet is to get here and do a drive around, there are plenty of nice hotels/apartments/motels in the area that don't cost the earth.
I live in Palmerston and it takes about 30 minutes to get to RDH - I did the run when my youngest was born and we still made it to the hospital

Both the Royal Darwin and Darwin Private hospital are on the same site, there are health clinics in most suburbs and Palmerston has a Medical Centre that is staffed 24 hours now. If you come to Darwin, you won't be alone - the midwife who delivered my daughter was from Manchester..

I have not been to Gove/Nhulunbuy, but it is normal for people based there top fly in and out through Darwin, it's a long old road trip!

Last edited by njk435; Jan 12th 2009 at 12:02 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Discovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by libra81
Hi thanks for that, do you know which websites to look at for rentals. Also do you know what the area is like next to the hospital.
My wife worked in RDH for 10 months before moving on to Community Nursing. We live in Nightcliff and it took her about 10 minutes to get to RDH. Other close suburbs to Tiwi where RDH is located are Nakara, Alawa, Wagaman, Brinkin and Milner
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

cherrybrandy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Cherrybrandy,

Have only been to Darwin once - Easter 94 - and it was hot, very hot, just after the wet but what a place to live.

Would like to put the children in private schools over there - they are at one here at present due to occupation. Might I ask where do yours go in Darwin and what are the fees. I remember that when I taught in Qld the fees at the top school were $12,000 when the school I taught at in the UK were charging £13,000!

The irony of the rental is that we are landlords here. Without renting how do you get references- although thinking about it we are in employer accommodation so perhaps this would help.

Can I ask what line of work you and OH are in? Are you happy with the move and what Darwin offers?

Bezza
Hi Bezza

My older two children also went to private school in the uk. As stated my youngest daughter also now attends private school which is Palmerston Christian School, as stated earlier she loves it and i have heard good reports about other private schools in the area. However it just depends in which area you are living in. Also as stated the private schools are quite inexpensive, they usually range in prices just like the uk, on average you will pay $600 a semester (approx £300) up to year 5/6, this price increases as the child becomes older maybe over $2000 (approx £1000). However this is still dramatically cheaper than the uk.

Darwin is still hot, hot, hot and i have the fans and air con all the time. At the moment it is the wet season and it is quite humid and i would say hot. We went to the gold coast for the new year and noticed the difference in the temps.

As for job wise I was a social worker in the uk and i am in the process of having my quals assessed. At the moment i work for a non profit organisation. When i first arrived there was lots of jobs and there still is, although i would say not on the scale they were in July 08. I went for 5 intinterviewsd was offered all five. My OH is in the aussie army.

As a family we have settled down and love the lifestyle, however my hubby struggles with his job, as the aussies do things differently. Apart from that everything is fine. There is quite a lot to do in Darwin especially in the dry season, including walking round the markets especially mindl beach market on sunday nite and then watching the sunset. Litchfield and kakadu national park have lovely waterfalls that u can swim in etc. We also like to go down to the wharf and at the weekends they have live music playing very child friendly, however you have to watch little ones as there are no barriers from the wharf to the sea due to it being a working wharf. Although we love it here and are enjoying the experience, we have no intention of settling down here, although lots of people have. We are looking at other areas of oz to settle down.

Just let us know if u need anymore info

hope to speak to u soon Cherrybrandy.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=cherrybrandy;7177121] private schools are quite inexpensive, they usually range in prices just like the uk, on average you will pay $600 a semester (approx £300) up to year 5/6, this price increases as the child becomes older maybe over $2000 (approx £1000). However this is still dramatically cheaper than the uk.

At my current school the boarding fees are just under 26k! As a memembe of staff I pay a lot, lot less for a day pupil but $2000 would be a significant saving shall we say!

Darwin is still hot, hot, hot and i have the fans and air con all the time. At the moment it is the wet season and it is quite humid and i would say hot. We went to the gold coast for the new year and noticed the difference in the temps.

We did the opposite as we lived in Southport. I guess you can get used to sweat eventually but ....

As for job wise I was a social worker in the uk and i am in the process of having my quals assessed. At the moment i work for a non profit organisation. When i first arrived there was lots of jobs and there still is, although i would say not on the scale they were in July 08. I went for 5 intinterviewsd was offered all five. My OH is in the aussie army.

This is the big one for us as we both are employed here in diff. schools. Many seem to ignore this issue and that does surprise me a bit. Couldn't really move without employment from a family security perspective. I'm sure the right post is there though!

Although we love it here and are enjoying the experience, we have no intention of settling down here, although lots of people have. We are looking at other areas of oz to settle down.

Since my first email/post Victoria have now stated that they will consider a sponsorship application and given the prospects for teaching it would seem the way forward but as this week has shown - 'you never never know if you never never go' as they used to say in marketing the NT in 1994