Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

northern irish banknotes

northern irish banknotes

Old May 16th 2011, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about
Default northern irish banknotes

Hi all, my daughter is currently in Thailand, travelling on to Oz in 3 weeks. She has taken a considerable amount of her money in cash, northern irish banknotes, now she has discovered that no where will accept them for exchange. Will this be the case in Australia and has anyone else encountered this. Thanks.
Old May 16th 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: northern irish banknotes

I would imagine yes.

from personal experience they were not even accepted in England
Old May 17th 2011, 12:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
I would imagine yes.

from personal experience they were not even accepted in England
A friend once had a load of Jersey GBP notes that he really struggled to use, even in London.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Northern Bank proceeds still floating about.
Old May 17th 2011, 1:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6 limes
She has taken a considerable amount of her money in cash, northern irish banknotes
Sorry to say this but that is unbelievably dumb.

NI, and Scottish banknotes are not legal tender, not even in NI and Scotland - they are promissory notes, let alone outside the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknot...rthern_Ireland
Old May 17th 2011, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

jeppy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, my daughter is currently in Thailand, travelling on to Oz in 3 weeks. She has taken a considerable amount of her money in cash, northern irish banknotes, now she has discovered that no where will accept them for exchange. Will this be the case in Australia and has anyone else encountered this. Thanks.
northern ireland bank notes are definately not legal tender other than in ireland
Old May 17th 2011, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

And who travels with "considerable amount of cash" on them?

At least a thief will struggle to convert it.
Old May 17th 2011, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
NI, and Scottish banknotes are not legal tender, not even in NI and Scotland - they are promissory notes, let alone outside the UK.
Not even Bank of England notes are legal tender in Scotland - no bank notes at all are legal tender in Scotland (possibly same for Northern Ireland).
Old May 17th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I'll exchange them for 10 pence to the Pound for Bank of England notes.
Old May 17th 2011, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about6 limes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by renth
Sorry to say this but that is unbelievably dumb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknot...rthern_Ireland
Frankly I dont remember asking for your opinion on whether it was dumb or not, and for your extremely ignorant information, Bank of Scotland and NI are totally legal tender accepted most places, even in the ever superior England.
Old May 17th 2011, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rozellem
And who travels with "considerable amount of cash" on them?

At least a thief will struggle to convert it.
Yeah thanks for your supportive comments, maybe some day your child will go off travelling and you will ask a simple question and someone can give you an equally unhelpful answer.
Old May 17th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

You could try a branch of Hsbc (the worlds local bank) in Oz.

I managed to get a number of scottish notes changed in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) about 15 years ago with little trouble.
The bank did look at them a bit funny, but then brought out a large bound book with samples of most currencies and identified them that way.

I didn't get the full value though, from memory it was 90p in the pound.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mvagusta
You could try a branch of Hsbc (the worlds local bank) in Oz.

I managed to get a number of scottish notes changed in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) about 15 years ago with little trouble.
The bank did look at them a bit funny, but then brought out a large bound book with samples of most currencies and identified them that way.

I didn't get the full value though, from memory it was 90p in the pound.
Thamk you for your helpful reply, I will pass that info on.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly I dont remember asking for your opinion on whether it was dumb or not, and for your extremely ignorant information, Bank of Scotland and NI are totally legal tender accepted most places, even in the ever superior England.
Read the link and learn what legal tender means then come back and apologise for being wrong, and dumb.
Old May 17th 2011, 10:12 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You posted about this on the internet, therefore asking for all of our opinions - look up the meaning of the word 'forum'.

What your daughter has done is dumb and pretty ignorant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.