Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland v England

Northern Ireland v England

Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Saundee is on a distinguished road
Default Northern Ireland v England

For the first time since the day I found out you cant get a decent sausage in Australia I've been feeling the wee homesick pangs.

I used to live beside Windsor Park in Belfast and spent many a winter night on the terrace. I'm one of the few people that have a ticket for the match (sold now but should have held on to it longer judging by the current prices) a week from now.

I can just imagine it - the big dilemma on whether to pull out the red hand flag or the George Cross, meeting the lads the Rangers club - giving the England fans loads of friendly abuse and watching a bit of class soccer from the team we'll all be supporting through to the next round.

A wee bit of Healey magic and the odd goof from big Geoff in the dying minutes when he pushes forward out of his comfort zone for a big of spectator football in the dying minutes.

Dont you love it - thank goodness for the Australian A league - nothing like getting the best of both worlds.

Having said that - went to watch the Rangers v Celtic match in Brisbane a few weeks ago and the atmosphere there was better than many I've experienced outside Liverpool. Flutes, drums the works! Pure class.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:54 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Northern Ireland v England

Quality, its good to know plenty of footy and patriotism, what pub in Bris was it, so I know to go there...
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Saundee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Northern Ireland v England

The Pig and Whistle on Creek Street. Apparently their biggest crowd to date as the old firm match coincided with a Saturday night here. Most matches are on Sunday nights.