Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northen territory touring

Wikiposts

Northen territory touring

Old Jun 6th 2004, 11:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Northen territory touring

Hi all
We are going to Australia in a couple of weeks time to validate our visas and meet some people about work.
We are going to be there about a month.
I have to go to Adelaide and Sydney.
Unfortunately my son, who lives in Adelaide, is stuck in California with work and then has to go to the UK for a few weeks so will not be in Australia as we had planned.
This means we have more spare time than we thought.

We have never been to the NT so now would be a good time.

I have driven over much of Australia with no problems but am wondering if the NT will be the same.
Is it easy to find accomodation as you go?
We would like to visit Kakadu. How easy is this by hire car and is there accomodation?

Any thoughts appreciated

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:05 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Hi G

Car hire and accomodation is easy enough in Darwin and Palmerston, both of which are a couple of hours away from Kakadu if I remember right. My girlfriend is working in Darwin a the moment so if there's anything specific you want me to look into just let me know. I talk to her pretty much everyday and she can check out closer accomodation etc no prob.

Good choice too, Kakadu is lovely. you'll be there in the dry season so the waterfall wont be as impressive, but it should still be spectacular.

I'll try scan some photos in and get them on here to show you at some point.

Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by loose
Hi G

Car hire and accomodation is easy enough in Darwin and Palmerston, both of which are a couple of hours away from Kakadu if I remember right. My girlfriend is working in Darwin a the moment so if there's anything specific you want me to look into just let me know. I talk to her pretty much everyday and she can check out closer accomodation etc no prob.

Good choice too, Kakadu is lovely. you'll be there in the dry season so the waterfall wont be as impressive, but it should still be spectacular.

I'll try scan some photos in and get them on here to show you at some point.

Thanks Loose.
We are going to try and finalise our plans over the next day or so . If we decide to go there I will contact you OK?
I know it is the Dry season so getting around will be easier but it may not be at it's best. No choice really though as it's all a bit 'last minute' due to circumstances.
Would it be easier to stay in Darwin and use that as a base?
I really have no idea of distances in the NT.
Photos would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
Thanks Loose.
We are going to try and finalise our plans over the next day or so . If we decide to go there I will contact you OK?
I know it is the Dry season so getting around will be easier but it may not be at it's best. No choice really though as it's all a bit 'last minute' due to circumstances.
Would it be easier to stay in Darwin and use that as a base?
I really have no idea of distances in the NT.
Photos would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Best wishes

G
kakadu is phenomenal - amazing wildlife
Also try and get to Lichfield NP - beautiful rainforest & waterfalls

Are you going to the Red Centre too?

Katherine Gorge is pretty spectacular (about 2-3 hrs south of Darwin)

Have a lovely trip
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea!
(shame about your son not being around though)

There should be some accomodation in Kakadu too.

If you're not planning on 'doing' the red centre, I'd recommend this route:
Darwin - Kakadu - Katherine - Litchfield - Darwin.

Pics of NT, May 1988(!)

Katherine Gorge
Attached Thumbnails Northen territory touring-katherine.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:47 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Edith Falls (part of Nitmiluk(Katheringe Gorge) National Park)

Later found out there were freshwater crocs in this pool

(that's me and my brother)
Attached Thumbnails Northen territory touring-edith-falls.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:48 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

A billabong in Kakadu
Attached Thumbnails Northen territory touring-billabong.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:49 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Aboriginal rock paintings at Nourlangie Rock in Kakadu
Attached Thumbnails Northen territory touring-rockj.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Rockpool above Edith Falls
Attached Thumbnails Northen territory touring-rock-pool.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Thanks all
I hadn't thought about the red Centre
I'm wary of spending all my time travelling.
I once drove from Brisbane to Cairns and another time from Sydney to Melbourne.
I don't want to take on too much.

My wife needs to chill a bit as well
Not so bad for me now I've retired

Looks good so far though.

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
Thanks all
I hadn't thought about the red Centre
I'm wary of spending all my time travelling.
I once drove from Brisbane to Cairns and another time from Sydney to Melbourne.
I don't want to take on too much.

My wife needs to chill a bit as well
Not so bad for me now I've retired

Looks good so far though.

Best wishes

G
Sounds like you need to sip a chilled riesling in a relaxing bar on the waterfront at Darwin harbour!

The Red Centre is really a week's worth of travel in itself (Alice, Uluru, King's Canyon, McDonnel Ranges...)...could be an idea for future holidays rather than combining it with a trip to the Top End if you don't want to O.D. on travel. (If driving, Alice to Darwin is 18 hours or so...of course you could fly/drive too)

Kakadu is fine to drive in a normal car at this time of year - there are tarmac roads in and out of Kakadu/Lichfield. There are a lot of places to visit in 4WD but even in the dry, you still need 4WD rather than a conventional car (plus hire cars aren't supposed to be taken off road). There are a lot of 4WD tours also.

I would recommend a sunrise or sunset trip on Yellow Water in Kakadu. Prolific birdlife, flora, and fascinating to watch a croc tuck into a turtle for breakfast!
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Kate ('er indoors) has just had a look at this thread and seems to like the idea.
She especially likes HP's idea of sipping wine in Darwin harbour
I will get back to one or two of you before we go.
I will probably do it through this thread as it may be useful to otheres in the future.
Thank you all

I need to do some reading methinks.

Getting excited now!

best wishes

G
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Hi Grayling, I too can recommend Kakadu and Katherine Gorge (although a bit further to drive to). I spent 10 days working in Kakadu NP, staying in Jabiru. Here there is the famous Crocodile Hotel - shaped like a crocodile. It is the place to go at the weekend for a beer. Lots of friendly aborigines go there too! The Katherine Gorge river trip is good, although Katherine itself is not that nice. There are places to stay in both Jabiru and Katherine. Not been to Lichfield NP so can't comment on that. Driving in the NT is a good experience in itself as there is no speed limit. Managed a whopping 130kph in our clapped out car!

Hope you have lots of fun!
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:05 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Some links for your reading!
http://www.ntholidays.com/home.asp
http://www.northernterritory.com/nor...tory/index.htm

Old Jun 12th 2004, 8:17 am
Bitter and twisted

Hi all
Thanks to everyone who gave advice on this thread.

Not sure if we will get there now!!!
My son now says he MAY be able to escape from California for a week to join us in Australia.
It will be nice to see him but as we go on Friday we are going to have to do everything last minute.
If he can't make it we will go to the NT.
If he can make it we will stay in Adelaide a bit longer.

Not his fault (work) but it is a bit frustrating.

At least we will see a bit more of Adelaide in the winter:scared:

Best wishes

G