Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

North or South of Brisbane. Whats the difference?

North or South of Brisbane. Whats the difference?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of
Default North or South of Brisbane. Whats the difference?

I might be being a bit thick here , but why are we being warned by the Aussies NOT to live South of the River? We keep being told of this mystical boundary, I think it stretches as far as Beenleigh, and apparently we would be OK to live anywhere South after that?? The house prices are lower than up here in the North (we're in Arana Hills). So does anyone know the reason? I have asked but they just give me a knowing look and dont reply. My OH is a vet and we will have to live where he gets a job, but so far he hasn't gone for any in the South because of this warning. Whats it all about?

Jo
Old Apr 27th 2007, 5:24 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of
Default Re: North or South of Brisbane. Whats the difference?

Its a bit like the rivalry between north and south London.... no real difference between the two, just personal preference. In years gone by the outerlying southern suburbs were less developed and attracted lower socio economic families which contributed to some of the bad rep that the south side has, but to be honest you'll find those kind of problems anywhere if you look hard enough. Personally I've lived all over Brisbane, north, south, east and west (I think about 12 suburbs at last count) and couldn't give two hoots whether I'm north or south of the river, as long as I'm in a house / street / neighbourhood that I'm happy with and that gives me what I want in terms of access to work, shops, transport etc etc.

Alicia

FYI - I'm now living on the dreaded southside of the river in the western suburbs. Somehow I seem to survive.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:29 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

How about driving around the South and asking a few aussies there what they think about North vs South - if they give you a thumbs down on the North you'll know for sure its all nonsense!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:07 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

My experience has been it is only people who live north seem to comment. Those living south don't seem to say anything about the 'northerners'.

It is a bit like the UK north/south divide, I come from south of the Watford gap, my partner is a Geordie, and although we live on the south, I sill find plenty of good reasons to take the p**s out of her.

I think that some suburbs, like South Brisbane, West End and so on had a bit of a bad rep a few years ago and that was the cause.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adriang
My experience has been it is only people who live north seem to comment. Those living south don't seem to say anything about the 'northerners'.

Quiet smugness perhaps Southsiders are happy where they are and have no need to rag on the northsiders.

Or it could be southsiders know they are on a good thing and don't want to advertise it or everyone will want to go there.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

I like the sound of that one! I guess we're just going to have to drive round and have a looksee, but thanks for all your opinions, I'll keep reading tho, maybe the South side has that pot of gold that everyone looks for at the end of a rainbow? Oh. Hang on , you have to have rain to make a rainbow...
Jo

Or it could be southsiders know they are on a good thing and don't want to advertise it or everyone will want to go there.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kizbut1
I might be being a bit thick here, but why are we being warned by the Aussies NOT to live South of the River? We keep being told of this mystical boundary, I think it stretches as far as Beenleigh, and apparently we would be OK to live anywhere South after that?? The house prices are lower than up here in the North (we're in Arana Hills). So does anyone know the reason? I have asked but they just give me a knowing look and dont reply. My OH is a vet and we will have to live where he gets a job, but so far he hasn't gone for any in the South because of this warning. Whats it all about? confused:

Jo

Oh my god,
you have inadvertently opened Pandora's box with this question!!!

It's the age old friendly rivalry between the north and the south river-ers in Brisbane. Forget the civil war in America, Brisbanites bring new meaning to the north vs south fight, and with just as much passion .

Its my personal opinion that the north is bloody boring suburbia!!! (ok, everybody, get back, get back!!)
If you want interesting suburbs, easy access to Southbank parklands and pool, quicker access to Gold Coast Beaches, and fun parks, then definately live in the south. To put it plainly, the north sux, for reasons Ive mentioned above.

Disclaimer: For any hate mail, please send via my email address only.
The author regrets this can't be taken as official advice, but just good advice.

The South side is
West End (south side suburb) is great!

Love Vegemite

Last edited by Vegemite; Apr 27th 2007 at 10:11 am.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:08 am
Chris

tscw1 will become famous soon enough

Hi

I moved to Brisbane from the UK in January and the OH would not move to the Southside, I think it's a snob thing. Houses seem to be a bit more expensive on the North side in my limited experience, but the divide is definately there.

But as long as you can get to work ok and it's in a low crime area, who cares whether it's North or South.

On another note how can someone South of the Watford gap take the p*ss out of a geordie, surely it's the other way around??

Chris
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:54 pm
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tscw1
Hi

Houses seem to be a bit more expensive on the North side in my limited experience, but the divide is definately there.
Not sure at this time, I'm house hunting, and West End is 'the area' at the moment. So an unrenovated (is this a real word?) QLD'r/worker cottage is more expensive that a renovated one on a larger plot in Paddington, The Grange, Bardon, etc. (which I'm told are decent places by the estate agents). We
re looking at Highgate Hill, it's close enough to the action, and we can get something big enough for both of us when we start discussing football!

On another note how can someone South of the Watford gap take the p*ss out of a geordie, surely it's the other way around??
She tries.... And if she reads this, I'm sleeping alone in the 'huffy bed' with a black eye.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo

She tries.... And if she reads this, I'm sleeping alone in the 'huffy bed' with a black eye.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 28th 2007, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Hi

I moved to Brisbane from the UK in January and the OH would not move to the Southside, I think it's a snob thing. Houses seem to be a bit more expensive on the North side in my limited experience, but the divide is definately there.

But as long as you can get to work ok and it's in a low crime area, who cares whether it's North or South.

Chris
why eye man al second that , everyone past scotch corners a freek
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:06 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

I live Southside (Greenslopes) - takes me about 15 mins to the CBD on the bus in the morning and it's handy for access to Redland Bay etc..
There aren't many Brits living here as far as I can see (or hear!) , but that isn't an issue for us. Lots of lovely places North of the river too, but if I get round to buying a house it'll probably be near here (Coorparoo) or nearer the sea. I'm from an area of the UK usually thought of as 'quite posh' but am very happy here, the kids have settled well in local schools. Am renting a lovely house owned by a cardiologist who lives nearby - but if I was younger and didn't have kids, I'd choose somewhere with a city cat access that is bit more lively.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

Ahem.......

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...rom=public_rss
Old Apr 28th 2007, 12:27 pm
Banned

Terminator is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kizbut1
I might be being a bit thick here , but why are we being warned by the Aussies NOT to live South of the River? We keep being told of this mystical boundary, I think it stretches as far as Beenleigh, and apparently we would be OK to live anywhere South after that?? The house prices are lower than up here in the North (we're in Arana Hills). So does anyone know the reason? I have asked but they just give me a knowing look and dont reply. My OH is a vet and we will have to live where he gets a job, but so far he hasn't gone for any in the South because of this warning. Whats it all about?

Jo
There are vampires down south of the river, they come out at night looking for blood. They prefer English blood hence the advice to stay north of the river. The werewolfs north of the river are far more timid and so do not bite.

Hopre this answers your question.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

You sound like such a fun person!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.