British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   North shores sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/north-shores-sydney-366151/)

scotgirl Apr 7th 2006 1:11 pm

North shores sydney

HI,
I would lkie nay information/advice on where to live in this area Sydney.

My husband will be based in Chatswood, and a 30 minute drive would be fine.

Ideally would like to be close to beaches, near parks, and amenities, and have 3 year old so good Schools in future.

We would be able to spend reasonable amonut of money.

I am also keen to understand the preschool situation In oZ, so all explanations welcome :) , thanks for your time,
Cheers gill

suzimc Apr 7th 2006 1:53 pm

Re: North shores sydney

Originally Posted by scotgirl
HI,

Ideally would like to be close to beaches, near parks, and amenities, and have 3 year old so good Schools in future.

I am also keen to understand the preschool situation In oZ, so all explanations welcome :) , thanks for your time,
Cheers gill

Hi Gill,

I can't help with the areas much but try this for school info:

http://www.yellabrickroad.com/schools.html

also I think the govt website explains the schooling somewhere but I can't find the link right now....

Lewis Lapthorn Apr 7th 2006 1:58 pm

HI,

Cheers gill

The Northern Beeches have become the Beverly Hills of Sydney in recent years, and prices have rocketed.

We have friends and family in Newport and Narrabeen. Lovely areas - but like I said, dear.

Not sure where Chatswood is, but many people from the northern suburbs commute down to Manly and get the ferry across to the city. Not a bad trip to work passing the Opera House on your way.

Sandra Apr 10th 2006 1:48 am

HI,

Cheers gill

Look at a map and consider any of the Northern Beaches towns starting at Manly up to about Warriewood and possibly Newport at a Pinch for your 30 mins.

Inland consider the train line Chatswood up to about Wahroonga as nice places to live and still 20 mins drive from the beach.

Other direction you have Frenchs Forest and surrounds, you can still consider some of the Sydney Harbour burbs as you will be travelling against some of the flow if you choose Balmain and surrounds - basically any area North of the Bridge up to Hornsby - how much money is quite a bit are you looking at spending about a $million?

I worked in Chatswood and didn't like the drive because of the cost of parking at the other end :( so used the train and bus from St Ives.

I wouldn't worry too much about primary schools too much they are all pretty decent in these areas.

Cheers

HeatherandTim Apr 10th 2006 7:06 am

HI,

Cheers gill

We live in a Frenchs Forest which is a good area for families and 15 mins easy drive to Chatwood and 10mins to Dee why and Manly beach. All surroundind suburbs are also good. Try Belrose, Beacon Hill, Narraweena, Allambie Etc. The demographic is mainly families in 3-4 bed houses and gardens.

Ian12 Apr 13th 2006 11:52 am

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
We live in a Frenchs Forest which is a good area for families and 15 mins easy drive to Chatwood and 10mins to Dee why and Manly beach. All surroundind suburbs are also good. Try Belrose, Beacon Hill, Narraweena, Allambie Etc. The demographic is mainly families in 3-4 bed houses and gardens.

We are in Davidson - a small suburb next to Frenchs Forrest. It's very pleasant and some of the houses back onto the national park. It's a 15 to 20 minute drive to the beaches and we have a local shopping centre, library and theatre in Belrose (next suburb) 3 mins away. Good hunting. It took us six solid months of looking to decide. Ian

Mhairi Apr 13th 2006 8:02 pm

Does anybody know anything about the Lane Cove area? I've got a job interview in a few weeks time for a role based there. We've never been to Australia before, let alone Sydney, so ANY info would be much appreciated.

Just looking on the map, French Forest/Davidson seem a nice distance from Lane Cove in one direction and the beach in the other. Would you recommend these areas as a good place to bring up a family (we have 2 daughters aged 3 & 4)?

Mhairi

HeatherandTim May 8th 2006 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Mhairi
Does anybody know anything about the Lane Cove area? I've got a job interview in a few weeks time for a role based there. We've never been to Australia before, let alone Sydney, so ANY info would be much appreciated.

Just looking on the map, French Forest/Davidson seem a nice distance from Lane Cove in one direction and the beach in the other. Would you recommend these areas as a good place to bring up a family (we have 2 daughters aged 3 & 4)?

Mhairi

Yes. these are great suburbs for children. Lots of families here and things to do (sports etc)and very close to the beach as well. The area is very safe (little crime). Also it is easy to get to Lane Cove.

walaj May 8th 2006 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Mhairi
Does anybody know anything about the Lane Cove area? Mhairi

Living just off the Mona Vale Rd which eventually turns into the Lane Cove Rd. We thought that there would be a bus service that runs directly down it, but no. OH can't park at work (lack of parking spaces), and takes 2 buses taking around 65mins door to door (with the bus usually being late).

The (bus) situation will be reviewed in 2007 or 2008, as they say the route is too busy with cars to run a direct bus route :rolleyes:

There is a railway station being built at around the Epping Rd/Lane Cove Rd intersection, which gets v clogged with traffic in rush hrs

Driving can take 15mins on good day on others not so good over 30mins.

scotgirl May 8th 2006 5:52 pm

Hi,
Recently told neutral bay and Balmoral are nice suburbs - any comments please ??
thanks gill

hubbard May 8th 2006 10:47 pm

Hi,
Recently told neutral bay and Balmoral are nice suburbs - any comments please ??
thanks gill

So is Mosman, Potts Point, Double Bay and Watsons Bay. They are indeed all nice due to their proximity to the CBD, beaches, attractive architecture, good schooling, top restaurants, and other city amenities. But they are definitely at the top end of the property market. If you are looking to purchase a house you would be looking upwards of $1.5 mill in Neutral Bay. As with most things in life where you live will be largely dictated by your budget for buying a house or weekly rent budget.

Check out domain.com.au; realestate.com.au for a good indication of what the prices / rental rate of properties in the areas are. This will help you work out your budget and what you can afford. Probably best to work your budget out before getting too enamoured with a particular area.