Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

North Shore or Upper North Shore?

North Shore or Upper North Shore?

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Michelle Hastings is an unknown quantity at this point
Question North Shore or Upper North Shore?

After doing some research on areas like Harbord, Fairlights, Manly etc have now decided that they maybe a little expensive to rent and started to look at the North Shore and Upper North Shore. Can anyone tell me of any nice areas in these places?

My husband will be working in the City and doesn't mind travelling on the train for about 45 mins door to door. We still would like to be a short drive to the beach.

What's St Ives, Gordon, Pymble and Hornsby, Wahroonga, Turramurra like?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: North Shore or Upper North Shore?

Bumping this..
Old Nov 4th 2006, 12:41 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle Hastings
After doing some research on areas like Harbord, Fairlights, Manly etc have now decided that they maybe a little expensive to rent and started to look at the North Shore and Upper North Shore. Can anyone tell me of any nice areas in these places?

My husband will be working in the City and doesn't mind travelling on the train for about 45 mins door to door. We still would like to be a short drive to the beach.

Hi Michelle

We have been over here for just over a year - rented at Warriewood (near Narrabeen) until 6 weeks ago and now live at Terrey Hills. I work in Pymble so pass through St Ives too many times a week!

I don't think people realise how close all these suburbs are to one another until they actually get here and learn the road systems etc. St Ives, Gordon and Pymble almost merge into one and the same could be said of the other three suburbs you listed. Primary schools seem to have good reputations on the whole and there is plenty of choice for high schools, depending on your preference.

They are all green leafy suburbs with plenty in the way of shops for your day to day needs, though Hornsby has a big Westfield Shopping Centre. You have obviously done your research to know that these suburbs all offer good accessibilty to the rail links into the city. Depending on which suburb you opt for beaches should be within your reach - 20 mins drive minimum if you choose St Ives and possibily up to 40 mins if you opt for Wahroonga, Hornsby etc. At the end of the day, I couldn't really choose one suburb over the other but if you come over here with the intention of renting in any of them, finding the right house for you will probably the deciding factor.

Good luck.

Binbird

p.s. Forgot to say - a crowd of us "Mums" get together on the first Tuesday of every month for a coffee and a gossip. Keep an eye out in the Meet Ups Forum when you get here and hope to see you soon!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Hi
Like you, we initially wanted to rent in Manly, North Manly, Seaforth area, but price and schooling options over ruled this. However, you can't go far wrong with any of the suburbs you've mentioned. They are all on the train line, however most rentals are NOT walking distance to the station, unless you want to leave home in the morning and do a 2-3km trek!
We have rented in Wahroonga and hubby catches the train to the city daily, as his office is in circular quay. Takes about 40 mins on the train, then about 10 minutes walk to the quay.....happy days.
These suburbs are very leafy and have lots of families, lots of ovals [or open space/ parks] where you can walk dogs etc. Plenty of shopping facilities, schools and such like, also several of the fee paying schools are in this area [i.e. Knox, Barker College, Ravenswood and Abbotsleigh] so the kids can catch the train. The nearest beach from us is supposed to be Dee Why [takes approx 30-40 mins] although we usually head for Manly and that takes around the same time. Rentals are few and far between [well, decent ones anyway], BUT there will be something if you aren't too rushed. Prices for a 4 bed range between 800- 1300+ per week in Wahroonga and Turramurra, but are a little cheaper in St.Ives. Pymble is very expensive for both rentals and buying.
Hope this helps.
Molly
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mollymoo
Hi
Like you, we initially wanted to rent in Manly, North Manly, Seaforth area, but price and schooling options over ruled this. However, you can't go far wrong with any of the suburbs you've mentioned. They are all on the train line, however most rentals are NOT walking distance to the station, unless you want to leave home in the morning and do a 2-3km trek!
We have rented in Wahroonga and hubby catches the train to the city daily, as his office is in circular quay. Takes about 40 mins on the train, then about 10 minutes walk to the quay.....happy days.
These suburbs are very leafy and have lots of families, lots of ovals [or open space/ parks] where you can walk dogs etc. Plenty of shopping facilities, schools and such like, also several of the fee paying schools are in this area [i.e. Knox, Barker College, Ravenswood and Abbotsleigh] so the kids can catch the train. The nearest beach from us is supposed to be Dee Why [takes approx 30-40 mins] although we usually head for Manly and that takes around the same time. Rentals are few and far between [well, decent ones anyway], BUT there will be something if you aren't too rushed. Prices for a 4 bed range between 800- 1300+ per week in Wahroonga and Turramurra, but are a little cheaper in St.Ives. Pymble is very expensive for both rentals and buying.
Hope this helps.
Molly
Thanks guys. See things a lot clearer now.

My husband starts his job in February. We are hoping to stay in self accom for about 2 weeks (was hoping for a month but seems too expensive) until we find somewhere to rent. We will hire a car and then have only a week to find somewhere before he starts his job.

Decided on removal company. Nearly chosen dog transportation. Need to find a good letting agency to let our house out. Need to find somewhere to rent and find schools for the kids.

Can you give me any other advice on planning. How did you do it? :scared:
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by binbird
Hi Michelle

We have been over here for just over a year - rented at Warriewood (near Narrabeen) until 6 weeks ago and now live at Terrey Hills. I work in Pymble so pass through St Ives too many times a week!

I don't think people realise how close all these suburbs are to one another until they actually get here and learn the road systems etc. St Ives, Gordon and Pymble almost merge into one and the same could be said of the other three suburbs you listed. Primary schools seem to have good reputations on the whole and there is plenty of choice for high schools, depending on your preference.

They are all green leafy suburbs with plenty in the way of shops for your day to day needs, though Hornsby has a big Westfield Shopping Centre. You have obviously done your research to know that these suburbs all offer good accessibilty to the rail links into the city. Depending on which suburb you opt for beaches should be within your reach - 20 mins drive minimum if you choose St Ives and possibily up to 40 mins if you opt for Wahroonga, Hornsby etc. At the end of the day, I couldn't really choose one suburb over the other but if you come over here with the intention of renting in any of them, finding the right house for you will probably the deciding factor.

Good luck.

Binbird

p.s. Forgot to say - a crowd of us "Mums" get together on the first Tuesday of every month for a coffee and a gossip. Keep an eye out in the Meet Ups Forum when you get here and hope to see you soon!
Will definitely take you up on your offer.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. See things a lot clearer now.

My husband starts his job in February. We are hoping to stay in self accom for about 2 weeks (was hoping for a month but seems too expensive) until we find somewhere to rent. We will hire a car and then have only a week to find somewhere before he starts his job.

Decided on removal company. Nearly chosen dog transportation. Need to find a good letting agency to let our house out. Need to find somewhere to rent and find schools for the kids.

Can you give me any other advice on planning. How did you do it? :scared:
Hi Michelle
Firstly, we got removal quotes and dog transportation quotes from recommendations on here. Chose Crown for household and Airpets for dog.....very pleased with service of both. Once we had booked them, they more or less took over the rest and organised most stuff, I just had a masive clear out.
A nationwide agent with a local office that offered full landlord services took over the management of our properties. We managed to find tenants before we left, so that worked out well.
With regards to schools, you first need to decide whether you want fee paying or not...by that I mean other than the $4500 you have to pay for Sydney public schooling [I think that applies to everyone, but I could be wrong]. Most schools have web sites, so you can get details about admissions from there. You can usually telephone the school admissions office directly [we did anyway] and ask any questions etc. I know other people wait till they arrive, then make appointments, so this is another option.
With regards to temporary accomodation, I can be of little help, as ours was provided, so we didn't have to source any/ compare prices etc.

Although there is loads to organise, it is manageable. Once we had our visa, we left the UK in six weeks :scared: ......very stressful, full on, but now I look back, I am glad it was so rushed- I didn't have time to stop and think!!!!
If you check on here [do a search] you will be able to get all the shipping company numbers and also pet transport.
There is also a 'to do list'.....probably pinned to the top of one of the boards....

Hope everything goes ok.
Molly
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michelle and MM

The $4500 for public schooling in NSW only applies to those on temp visas. If you have a PR visa then schooling is free in public schools.....although each school charges differing amounts for books etc - usually around $100 - 200 per year.

Rudi
x

Originally Posted by mollymoo
Hi Michelle
Firstly, we got removal quotes and dog transportation quotes from recommendations on here. Chose Crown for household and Airpets for dog.....very pleased with service of both. Once we had booked them, they more or less took over the rest and organised most stuff, I just had a masive clear out.
A nationwide agent with a local office that offered full landlord services took over the management of our properties. We managed to find tenants before we left, so that worked out well.
With regards to schools, you first need to decide whether you want fee paying or not...by that I mean other than the $4500 you have to pay for Sydney public schooling [I think that applies to everyone, but I could be wrong]. Most schools have web sites, so you can get details about admissions from there. You can usually telephone the school admissions office directly [we did anyway] and ask any questions etc. I know other people wait till they arrive, then make appointments, so this is another option.
With regards to temporary accomodation, I can be of little help, as ours was provided, so we didn't have to source any/ compare prices etc.

Although there is loads to organise, it is manageable. Once we had our visa, we left the UK in six weeks :scared: ......very stressful, full on, but now I look back, I am glad it was so rushed- I didn't have time to stop and think!!!!
If you check on here [do a search] you will be able to get all the shipping company numbers and also pet transport.
There is also a 'to do list'.....probably pinned to the top of one of the boards....

Hope everything goes ok.
Molly
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:13 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify, St Ives is NOT on the train line. You can get a bus to Gordon (takes 10 mins upwards depending where abouts in St Ives (or St Ives Chase) you are), or drive and park, or there is an express bus to the CBD.

South Africans like the area as it is suppose to remind them of SA with all the leafy streets, and there is a sizable Jewish community (with food shops to cater for). We are neither but like the area. At the mo we are renting, but are looking at St Ives & nearby suburbs to buy.

St ives Chase is surrounded by trees on 3 sides, so you can get cheaper housing in this area, especially near the top end, but you have more travel time to places.

Pymble has a good playgroup if any of yours are pre school age - As already stated this suburb attract a premium eg there is a nice 4 bed house (not on a big plot though) overlooking the golf course which is yours for around the $2.5m mark

All apart from Hornsby, the suburbs are in the Ku-ring-gai council area, which is planning to redevelop many of the shopping centre area - see their website for more details and info on plenty of other stuff.

St Ives has the showground - craft fair every month there, plus various other events held there and I've seen local schools use it for sports. There is the Flower garden, good for walks and a lovely area for BBQs (watch out for kookuburras, they will pinch whole chops straight off the barbie there)/play area/covered area (a childs birthday party was being held there last time we were there). 30 min drive (up Bobbin Head Rd) and you are at the marina in part of the Ku-ring-gai National Park - busy at weekends with BBQs, good sized playground and again lots of areas to walk. Amazing place that feels like it is so far away high populated areas.

don't think there is that much to do for the older child (have a look at 'Sandra' post as she has been in the area for longer & has older children than mine).

All the best
Old Nov 6th 2006, 3:58 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Have you put each burb into the search facility on here? There are been several longish posts on Upper North Shore.

Are you looking at schools as well? This can be a big factor for high school not so much for primary, private vs State can also be a consideration.

Geting walking distance to the station is hard/expensive but most train stations have a car park and it can be free. I use an express Bus from St Ives to the City I can take anywhere from 40mins to over an hour door to door commuting this way. I believe there is also one from North Turramurra. You need to take a bus from St Ives to the Train Station at Gordon which adds to the commute.

If a parking space is available at work this can be easier some days, without a space it can be expensive.

Let us know what other needs you have, it might let people know to let you know more specifics about the burb.

I do not rate inner Hornsby as it is just overflowing with high rise apartment blocks round one big shopping mall. Other might like it just for that reason as an apartment here can be very conveinent for Train and shopping. We stayed there for six weeks while looking for a rental before choosing St Ives where we have been for four and a half years renting and then buying. 20 mins from Mona Vale Beach in reasonable traffic.

Watch out for the areas you have picked, apart from Hornsby which is already built up, some parts of the burbs have been re-zoned and apartment blocks are planned covering over some previously quite quiet shopping and recreational areas.

So apart from inner Hornsby I think all the burbs you have listed are pretty nice.

Good luck and have fun with your move