Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

North Shore suburbs?

North Shore suburbs?

Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough
Default North Shore suburbs?

I am flying out to Sydney and land on Thursday 25th August and I start my new job in North Ryde on the Monday 29th August. We are a couple and need to find somewhere to rent or share in those initial couple of days.

We were looking into going to Manly and still are in the long term but I think that we need somewhere closer to work for a couple of months until we sort ourselves out with our own transport and get a little more settled.

Can anyone recommend any nice suburbs to rent closer to North Ryde, which offer public transport to that area?

Thank you for any advice.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:45 am
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road
Default Re: North Shore suburbs?

Originally Posted by Goodwin
I am flying out to Sydney and land on Thursday 25th August and I start my new job in North Ryde on the Monday 29th August. We are a couple and need to find somewhere to rent or share in those initial couple of days.

We were looking into going to Manly and still are in the long term but I think that we need somewhere closer to work for a couple of months until we sort ourselves out with our own transport and get a little more settled.

Can anyone recommend any nice suburbs to rent closer to North Ryde, which offer public transport to that area?

Hello

I can help you out in and around the Manly area if that helps? We emigrated over here about 6-8 weeks ago.

Chris & Anna
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by djdutts
Hello

I can help you out in and around the Manly area if that helps? We emigrated over here about 6-8 weeks ago.

Chris & Anna
That would be great because that’s where we would really like to settle eventually.

Hows it going for yourselves? Where about in Manly are you?

Any advice you can offer on the Manly area and settling there would be fantastic and most welcome.
Its all abit of a rush for us this end as we weren’t planning on moving out until November but this job opportunity came along and was to good to pass on. So we are trying to get everything arranged all in 5 weeks. But its all very exciting and I can’t wait.

Thanks heaps Linda
Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:37 am
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

We are also looking to move out to the Manly area - probably end of the year - so would be interested in any information too. Thanks.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:59 am
India-M'chester-Syd('05)

base_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant future

I am working in N Ryde. I am living in Hornsby and for first few weeks had been using public transport before we got our car. N Ryde is very easily accessible from Chatswood by bus. However, if you want to avoid the noise, you can live anywhere else in the North Shore. All you have to do is to take a train to Chatswood and then take a bus to N Ryde.

One of my colleagues lives in Pymble and he doesnt have a car yet. He is managing quite nicely with the public transport and I have never heard him whinging!!

You can PM me if you need any further info.......
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

This could be a very useful thread - lots of Manly contacts. I got back from there a week ago and have decided to return in April next year. I really enjoyed it, the Corso can be a bit lively I guess but there is plenty of accommodation away from that area. The beach is fantastic as well.

The only pain is getting back from the city on a long night out - the ferries stop around midnight. Its a $40 taxi fare.....

djdutts - definitely keen to see what you have made of the first two months? was it easy finidng accommodation? whats the accommodation like etc??

Cheers,

SS
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

We live in Lane Cove which is 10 mins drive from North Ryde, lots of buses, nice suburb. I would say that if you wanted to go to North Ryde from Manly then it will take you a long long time to get there and back each day - sometime the traffic on Epping Road (the road into North Ryde from the north shore) is so bad that it takes us 30 minutes to do the journey that normally takes 10 mins. Basically you would be joining the queue of traffic from the northern beaches into the city before you would cut back westwards.

Best public transport to North Ryde from north shore is from Lane Cove or Chatswood. There is a poor bus service from Pymble/Gordon to North Ryde (1 per hour I think). North Ryde train line opens next year or the year after.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Bondi Beach and work in Maquarie Park (aka North Ryde). Chatswood, Pymble, Lane Cove and Gladesville are the most accesible decent suburbs nearby. There is also Epping but that does not have as good access to the city. www.131500.com.au will help you with transport.

BTW driving Bondi to MP is 30 mins to start at 630am, 45mins, 8am, well over an hour after that. That is going through the harbour tunnel ($3 going home).
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Can anyone share some informtion on the surrounding suburbs of Manly? Like Fairlight, Balgowlah, etc. How far are they from the beach? Do they have good transport links? Any information you can offer will be really useful in deciding where to live and rent.

Cheers Linda
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:53 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Can anyone share some informtion on the surrounding suburbs of Manly? Like Fairlight, Balgowlah, etc. How far are they from the beach? Do they have good transport links? Any information you can offer will be really useful in deciding where to live and rent.

Cheers Linda
Balgowlah and Fairlight both have their own beaches and are 5-10 mins from the busier Manly. Regular transport to Manly and chatswood from both... SO you could get from Manly to N Ryde but it would be 2 buses and a bit of a pain i reckon..... How long is your commute now??? How quick will you buy a car?? i reckon Manly to N Ryde would be 50 mins to 75 mins in rush hour... 35-40 mins with no traffic. there are a few hotels and serviced apartments in chatswood.... try www.waldorf.com.au would be ideal for 2 weeks to get your bearings plus there is a bus direct from chats wood to N ryde. Plus a bus direct to Manly/ Balgowlah/ Fairlight for reccies too Chatswoood is on the train network for trips into city/ airport too. PLus has 2 huge shopping centres .... Might be a good place to start.....

Do you have kids/ do you want a apartment or a house in long term?? Houses will be 1 million plus in Manly.....
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jjonboy
Balgowlah and Fairlight both have their own beaches and are 5-10 mins from the busier Manly. Regular transport to Manly and chatswood from both... SO you could get from Manly to N Ryde but it would be 2 buses and a bit of a pain i reckon..... How long is your commute now??? How quick will you buy a car?? i reckon Manly to N Ryde would be 50 mins to 75 mins in rush hour... 35-40 mins with no traffic. there are a few hotels and serviced apartments in chatswood.... try www.waldorf.com.au would be ideal for 2 weeks to get your bearings plus there is a bus direct from chats wood to N ryde. Plus a bus direct to Manly/ Balgowlah/ Fairlight for reccies too Chatswoood is on the train network for trips into city/ airport too. PLus has 2 huge shopping centres .... Might be a good place to start.....

Do you have kids/ do you want a apartment or a house in long term?? Houses will be 1 million plus in Manly.....
I enquired about renting a Waldorf apartment and they said they said that they don't do anything under 8 weeks.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

tonyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: North Shore suburbs?

Hi goodwin,we are going probley in september and we have been looking around castle hill,north rocks they have been recomended by my employer,but we have been looking on the net at houses to rent on www.realestate.com.au,it has a lot of houses for rent,put your min and max rent and area,hope this helps tonyy
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:59 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Cheers Linda
Queenscliff is a great Manly suburb, and not just cos we live here!
Literally minutes walk to Freshwater or Queenscliff beaches (QC beach is the bit at the far north end of Manly beach). It's about 1.5km from the ferry wharf if you walk along the sea front, less if you cut through the back streets.
You benefit from the closeness to Manly for cafes, nightlife, shopping, without being so near as to be bothered by the noise, tourists, hoons etc.
Freshwater/Harbord on the other side of the headland has more of a village feel, with a great fruit market shop and a good beach for kiddies and surfers.
Worth a look if you're up in Manly.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

LancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the rough

Cheers Linda
I live in Collaroy and my partner works in North Ryde. He drives to work (which takes about 45 mins) as the public transport would entail - a bus to Chatswood and then the train which takes around 1 1/2 hours in total for the trip. So from Manly it would probably be about 15 mins quicker with the bus journey.

The main problem with living on the northern beaches is that the only public transport is buses as there is no train line but you are practically living on the beach in a lot of the suburbs. Anywhere around Chatswood has better transport as you have the choice of trainlines. I think someone else has already posted it but have a look at the Sydney transport website for an idea of what links go to where. www.131500.com.au. Also check out realestate.com.au for an idea of rental prices and whats available.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Queenscliff does sound really good - and maybe it would be slightly cheaper than Manly.

A mile walk along the sea front, then the ferry to work...sounds ideal but I wonder if it really reality for some?

SS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.