Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

North QLD : Let me know if I can help

North QLD : Let me know if I can help

Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of
Smile North QLD : Let me know if I can help

Hi. This is my first post on this site. I found it a couple of days ago and it's pretty interesting reading.

I am an Australian who usually lives in North Queensland. I'm temporarily living overseas at the moment and know what it is like to be a foreigner in a new land. It can be exciting yet daunting to say the least, (this forum is a brilliant idea).

If I can be of any help to you guys by providing info about anything, e.g life in North Queensland etc, then let me know. I have lived in Townsville, Brisbane, Mackay etc, and have travelled around a lot, so I may be able to comment on some of the places you're interested in learning about.I can also try to comment on Queensland in general if you wish. I have lived a year in the UK before too, so I know a little about the lifestyle there etc, the differences, and what you are leaving behind etc. I may not have all the answers of course but nothing asked is nothing gained either.

In a sense I am in a similar position to you all as I am over here living with my partner and we hope that he is able to immigrate to Oz so we can be together etc.

I found the buddy system page yesterday, where people who have immigrated to Oz register their name as being available to help newly arrived migrants. Can an Australian born and bred person also do that or do you have to be British only? I also can't remember where I found it, lol, so if anyone can point it out to me I'd appreciate it (doh!).

No worries/ "cheers",

Vegemite
(Very original username I know).

Last edited by Vegemite; Apr 20th 2007 at 10:29 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Default Re: North QLD : Let me know if I can help

Hi
We are looking at queensland there is so much information on this site that ive changed my mind a hundred times about where to live!!!

Your opinions would be very welcome. Myself and husband are both nurses and we have a 4 year old daughter so im looking for somewhere familly orientated preferably a coastal town and a hospital. So far we've looked at brisbane, redcliffe, and townsville. We cant afford a holiday first so any advice on places to live would be great!

Kat.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Hi Kat,

I can understand how you have changed your mind! There is a wealth of information on this site, and as destination choice is also a very personal choice, not everyone agrees. If it helps any, I know there are more people in your situation who canĀ“t make up their minds about where to live yet, so you are not alone in that!

Firstly, tell me more about your personal preferences for a town.
What's the three most important things to you, in order of importance? eg, you mentioned family orientated and coastal? Anything else?
What about the size of the town, population wise, and miles to travel across the town? What about temperature? Any coastal town has cooling breezes. The humidity increases the further north you go.
The types of countryside can also dramatically differ - do you care if the place has a dry appearance, or would you prefer tropical greenery, cane farms etc?
What kinds of things do you enjoy doing? For example, is your family into the outdoors/beach etc , or would they be happier in a good shopping centre? Also, I take it 'family orientated' means parks for the kids to play, entertainment facilities for the kids, it's not going to cost and aarm and a leg for outings, etc etc??
Also think about what you can afford re property prices and rent...some towns are more expensive than others, but something you should be aware of is that the whole eastern coast of Queensland has had a surge in property prices and rent over the last 3 years.

Sorry about all these questions, it's just much easier to give you advice this way!! Oh yeah, I forgot, what breakfast cereal do you prefer, and what is your opinion on world politics? Just kidding!!

OK, i'll wait to hear back from you with your essay, .

Queensland is quite a beautiful place, I hope you'll all be very happy in Q!

Regards,
Vegemite.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vege and welcome to the site

I was wondering if you could offer me some advice please ?

There is a job opportunity that interests me in Bamaga which I believe is quite a way up North.

I'm am experienced fisherman and the job will pay good but I really haven't a clue what the place is like.

Do you know what the nightlife is like ? I'm into Hard House and Trance music and love the dance scene. Are there any clubs that play that type of music ?

And although I hate to admit it the missus loves her bingo......but I could probably convert her to Keeno (SP?)

Oh, and do they have both Coles and Woolworths ?

Thanks for any guidance you can give
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey Bix,

That's funny, I was just thinking about Bamaga before I read your post!

Thanks for welcoming me!

Yes, Bamaga is at the very tip of Queensland..it is extremely remote. The bitumen road ends about 900kms (approximately 400 miles) south of Bamaga...and it is mainly dirt all the way up. A 4WD vehicle is essential. There's a charter flight that goes in and out of the Bamaga community and down to Cairns fairly regularly.

Bamaga (and closeby Seisa) is a tiny community of aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders - very different to the Australian mainstream. You basically couldn't get a more remote place in Queensland. The fishing and crabbing there is fantastic due to its remoteness, the area is beautiful, rainforesty and scrubby, white beaches, etc. The nightlife consists of one or two very basic pubs, so forget techno and dance music etc. There are basic community facilities - a community centre etc. The white people in the area mainly married into the community, or are employed as police officers, dentist, doctor, teachers, etc. A friend of mind was a correctional officer up there who loved the autonomy of his working situation up there.

I am not sure if they have Coles or Woolworths, they might have a mini version of this. They have a few basic shops etc, but you wont find any chain clothes stores etc..the place is just too small and too remote. It's basically a bush village. Bamaga and Seisa are close to Thursday Island, where there are more very basic facilities.

Bamaga is a place you'll either love or hate. It would be an incredible culture shock coming from any place in the UK. Whether that is a pleasant and welcome shock, or one which you can't wait to be rid of, boils down to personal prefernce. I'm a bit of a traveller who loves wilderness and I dont mind the remoteness of the place, I fit in well with the indigenous lifestyle any way of thinking. I quite liked Bamaga when I was there in 2000. Let me warn you though, its not everyones cup of tea.
Kind regards,

Vegemite.

Last edited by Vegemite; Apr 24th 2007 at 10:31 am. Reason: more chanes
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: North QLD : Let me know if I can help

Hi vegemite!
Okay, i want some where with good facilities for children (my daughters 4) play parks, safe beaches, cycle paths that kind of thing. Myself and husband love the outdoors so somewhere we can explore a bit cycling/walking. I like greenery (is that a word?) but understand in a hotter climate it may not be possible.

Shopping centres i dont mind driving to so could live without them but would like local food shops. The main problem is work i would probally get a job quite easily in Brisbane hospitals but would need to commute. Although where i live is more important as i will only be working part time and prepared to commute up to 45 min journey. Saying that some where with a local hospital would be ideal!

Nurses salarys are not great so rental prices up to $350 per week.

As we are both in our late twentys some where with a little bit of a social life would be nice!

So based on this if you can answer the million dollar question i think you may have made a friend for life!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Kat.

ps cheerios and hate politics!

Last edited by Here comes the sun; Apr 24th 2007 at 10:19 am.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:20 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
Hi vegemite!
Okay, i want some where with good facilities for children (my daughters 4) play parks, safe beaches, cycle paths that kind of thing. Myself and husband love the outdoors so somewhere we can explore a bit cycling/walking. I like greenery (is that a word?) but understand in a hotter climate it may not be possible.

Shopping centres i dont mind driving to so could live without them but would like local food shops. The main problem is work i would probally get a job quite easily in Brisbane hospitals but would need to commute. Although where i live is more important as i will only be working part time and prepared to commute up to 45 min journey. Saying that some where with a local hospital would be ideal!

Nurses salarys are not great so rental prices up to $350 per week.

As we are both in our late twentys some where with a little bit of a social life would be nice!

So based on this if you can answer the million dollar question i think you may have made a friend for life!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply
Kat.

ps cheerios and hate politics!
cairns could be for you
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi i looked at cairns but the heat may be a problem as hubby gets very sweaty and we're not quite ready for separate beds yet! How bad is the humidity as everyone says its worse further north. Could you give me some info on the climate?
Thanks
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:29 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
Hi i looked at cairns but the heat may be a problem as hubby gets very sweaty and we're not quite ready for separate beds yet! How bad is the humidity as everyone says its worse further north. Could you give me some info on the climate?
Thanks
i have woked in the hospital and as its airconed its rather pleasant. best view from any hospital window ive ever seen.between 26 and 35 all year . high humidity in the wet season which is dec to apr.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Hi Vege and welcome to the site

I was wondering if you could offer me some advice please ?

There is a job opportunity that interests me in Bamaga which I believe is quite a way up North.

I'm am experienced fisherman and the job will pay good but I really haven't a clue what the place is like.

Do you know what the nightlife is like ? I'm into Hard House and Trance music and love the dance scene. Are there any clubs that play that type of music ?

And although I hate to admit it the missus loves her bingo......but I could probably convert her to Keeno (SP?)

Oh, and do they have both Coles and Woolworths ?

Thanks for any guidance you can give
Bix, I thought I'd told you NOT to ask about Bamaga I've already decided to go there, there is no point trying to get people to put me off the place
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Bix, I thought I'd told you NOT to ask about Bamaga I've already decided to go there, there is no point trying to get people to put me off the place
I'm sorry Wendy

But although we've never met I feel I know you and consider you a close friend.

I knew you wouldn't listen to me but thought if you heard it from someone else you may reconsider.

I think the SA radiation is playing a part in this
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I'm sorry Wendy

But although we've never met I feel I know you and consider you a close friend.

I knew you wouldn't listen to me but thought if you heard it from someone else you may reconsider.

I think the SA radiation is playing a part in this

That's why I'm leaving SA, all the radiation is making me poorly.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

That's why I'm leaving SA, all the radiation is making me poorly.
Wel, that's hardly surprising.
You only have to look at Mr.Mover to see what an affect it has on people down there.

But it's not the leaving SA that's the issue.....it's where you are going.
Vege really knows there stuff and have summed up Bamaga to a T.

I always said you would end up in Cairns so why not give it a go ?

You can always do a fishing trip to Bamaga.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
Wel, that's hardly surprising.
You only have to look at Mr.Mover to see what an affect it has on people down there.

But it's not the leaving SA that's the issue.....it's where you are going.
Vege really knows there stuff and have summed up Bamaga to a T.

I always said you would end up in Cairns so why not give it a go ?

You can always do a fishing trip to Bamaga.

But you know my OH really wants to be a fisherman, who am I to stifle his dreams.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

But you know my OH really wants to be a fisherman, who am I to stifle his dreams.

I know what you're saying and appreciate you want to be a subservient wife, as you should be of course.

But does he know he won't be able to watch the soccer or get his favourite tipple up there ?

Well, not unless he pays to have it brought in by barge.

Actually I deal with the barge companies that travel up there so may be able to get you a good price on the removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.