Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

North Brisbane suburbs....

North Brisbane suburbs....

Old Feb 8th 2006, 10:11 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light
Default North Brisbane suburbs....

I need some help from someone with local knowledge. We're heading to Brisbane soon and I'm trying to narrow down the suburbs we want to be looking at, we have pretty specific requirements:
- Rental $350 max per week for 3 bedroom house with garden.
- At most 30 minutes train journey to the CBD, preferably less.
- Local parks or greens where my wife can take the little one, and obviously it needs to be safe for her to be out and about with the pram.
- We have family friends in Bracken Ridge so within 20 minutes drive (not rush hour) of there

Apologies for posting yet another Brisbane suburbs question, but I've been back and forth between ourbrisbane and the translink website and it's doing my head in!

Thanks
Martyn
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: North Brisbane suburbs....

Originally Posted by tin
I need some help from someone with local knowledge. We're heading to Brisbane soon and I'm trying to narrow down the suburbs we want to be looking at, we have pretty specific requirements:
- Local parks or greens where my wife can take the little one, and obviously it needs to be safe for her to be out and about with the pram.
- We have family friends in Bracken Ridge so within 20 minutes drive (not rush hour) of there

Apologies for posting yet another Brisbane suburbs question, but I've been back and forth between ourbrisbane and the translink website and it's doing my head in!

Thanks
Martyn

Try www.realestate.com.au and www.whereis.com to help you.

WW
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tin

Thanks
Martyn
What about Nundah/Chermside area?
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:44 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Try www.realestate.com.au and www.whereis.com to help you.

WW
Thanks wombat, I've been on realestate but whereis is new to me I'll have a look! I suppose my biggest question and something I can't find through my own research is how long it takes to drive places.... For example 10km away sounds close but you wouldn't want to drive that far through London

And of course suggestions from people who live in northern suburbs that they think are suitable for young families are welcome

Mrs D: Thanks, I'll have a look at Nundah/Chermside right now

M
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tin
Thanks wombat, I've been on realestate but whereis is new to me I'll have a look! I suppose my biggest question and something I can't find through my own research is how long it takes to drive places.... For example 10km away sounds close but you wouldn't want to drive that far through London

And of course suggestions from people who live in northern suburbs that they think are suitable for young families are welcome

Mrs D: Thanks, I'll have a look at Nundah/Chermside right now

M
In Brisbane, driving is a necessity unless you commute into the city for work.

WW
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tin

Thanks
Martyn
Hi Tin

Your Brissie suburb requirements sound just like mine, and hey no matter how many posts on here suggest areas of brissie, I dont think it will be possible to pinpoint an area until arrival.

We too are heading out soon and definately fancy northside, maybe Albany Creek or surrounding areas. Also looking at Sandgate and Redcliffe but going off that idea now!

We are even starting to look at the ever popular Bayside area! :scared:

We are heading out 21 June, when are you thinking? Do you have a shortlist? Best thing to do is post the areas you are thinking about and people on here will give you there opinions on them. Otherwise its too vague.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

North Lakes sounds perfect for you in that case.

http://www.stockland.com.au/Resident...thLakes/About/
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:46 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

when we got here we looked all over the south side of brisbane at suburbs but everytime we went to look north we ended up in traffic and turned around

This was around 4:30pm so i'd expect the traffic to be heavier and i'm used to the m6 but we attempted three times to travel north (usually up the gypie road i think) to check out suburbs but the traffic was so heavy we eventaully turned around ..

never seem to have the problem on the south side

maybe we were just unlucky and hit problems on the days we tried but that put me off
Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:11 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tin
my biggest question and something I can't find through my own research is how long it takes to drive places.... For example 10km away sounds close but you wouldn't want to drive that far through London
M
This is an excellent map & is great for finding how long it takes to travel place.

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/direc...do?ref=homeDir
Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
This is an excellent map & is great for finding how long it takes to travel place.

http://www.whereis.com/whereis/direc...do?ref=homeDir
Be wary about the times quoted on there though :0

They have recently updated the web site and I just checked my location to Brisbane Centre again, and it quotes 37.39 km 31 mins I'm sure it used to be about 45 minutes !!

Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:48 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Be wary about the times quoted on there though :0

They have recently updated the web site and I just checked my location to Brisbane Centre again, and it quotes 37.39 km 31 mins I'm sure it used to be about 45 minutes !!

Good point.

I guess with all the building going on round and about the times may vary slightly.

So far though, I've found on the whole this is a good guide to times & distances.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:37 am

Mandy&Stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Billabong
North Lakes sounds perfect for you in that case.

http://www.stockland.com.au/Resident...thLakes/About/

I agree North Lakes sounds like what your after, we are in Albany Creek at the mo but can't wait until rental expires then we are off to North Lakes or Murrumba Downs !!!!

Gud Luck
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mandy&Stu we are in Albany Creek as well. We have family here which is why we moved here. You never know we may have seen you in passing and not realised it.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 4:57 am

Mandy&Stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Hi Mandy&Stu we are in Albany Creek as well. We have family here which is why we moved here. You never know we may have seen you in passing and not realised it.
Hi Katie

Your baby is GORGEOUS !!!! we are probably next door lol - dont get me wrong Albany Creek is lovely - just when we come to buy - more affordable for us in Murrumba Downs etc

How long have you been out here ???
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mandy&Stu
Hi Katie

Your baby is GORGEOUS !!!! we are probably next door lol - dont get me wrong Albany Creek is lovely - just when we come to buy - more affordable for us in Murrumba Downs etc

How long have you been out here ???
Thanks I think he is, but then I am his mummy.

We have been here 9 months now. I like Albany Creek as well, but we will probably not buy here. Though somewhere close would be good as family are handy for babysitting, and of course it has to have good schools and I would like somewhere that has a feel of a town rather than a suburb if that makes sense.

When did you get here? We probably are next door LOL.

Katie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.