Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it normaly to have such negative emotions on the cusp of moving?

Is it normaly to have such negative emotions on the cusp of moving?

Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:35 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road
Default Is it normaly to have such negative emotions on the cusp of moving?

I have been trying really hard over the last few days not to post this as I can't stand people who are always negative and I hate to be a whinger but I can feel this enormous scream building up inside me and if I don't vent somewhere then I think I could commit murder.

I have wanted to move to Australia as long as I can ever remember, then when I met Terry and we visited, he felt exactly the same if not more so. So why is it that I am now in such a total state of panic, stress, trauma and upset? I can honestly say that I feel desolate and desperate.

Terry is leaving in two weeks as he has been offered a job but he needs to get there to start. The house has not sold, so I am staying behind to pack up everything, close the accounts, finalise his business accounts, see to the shippers etc etc and hopefully have an offer on the house by the time I leave in 7 weeks.

I have lists all over the place as I keep thinking of things to remember and my head feels like it is going to explode. Every day I cry when I think about going. I am being ratty and snappy with those around me (which is not normal). This was not the way we had planned it, we were going to move together and spend some time in Singapore on the way, and now I have to watch as my older children say goodbye to their dad (they are not coming with us), see to everything here, then go through it all again in a few weeks when they say goodbye to us.

Oh and I am missing my dogs that arrived in Perth on Tuesday.

Is it normal to feel in such a state of panic? People keep asking me if I am excited but all I feel is depressed. Has anyone else felt this way?
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it normaly to have such negative emotions on the cusp of moving?

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I have been trying really hard over the last few days not to post this as I can't stand people who are always negative and I hate to be a whinger but I can feel this enormous scream building up inside me and if I don't vent somewhere then I think I could commit murder.

I have wanted to move to Australia as long as I can ever remember, then when I met Terry and we visited, he felt exactly the same if not more so. So why is it that I am now in such a total state of panic, stress, trauma and upset? I can honestly say that I feel desolate and desperate.

Terry is leaving in two weeks as he has been offered a job but he needs to get there to start. The house has not sold, so I am staying behind to pack up everything, close the accounts, finalise his business accounts, see to the shippers etc etc and hopefully have an offer on the house by the time I leave in 7 weeks.

I have lists all over the place as I keep thinking of things to remember and my head feels like it is going to explode. Every day I cry when I think about going. I am being ratty and snappy with those around me (which is not normal). This was not the way we had planned it, we were going to move together and spend some time in Singapore on the way, and now I have to watch as my older children say goodbye to their dad (they are not coming with us), see to everything here, then go through it all again in a few weeks when they say goodbye to us.

Is it normal to feel in such a state of panic? People keep asking me if I am excited but all I feel is depressed. Has anyone else felt this way?
You are not alone; I went through a similar thing not so long back. I began to question whether it was the right thing to do. I have since got back on track just in time for the visas arriving in a couple of weeks from, however there is still an underlying sence of panic about the chaos that lies ahead. Just think of two or so years from now when you are settled into your new life, then all this will be comical.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:42 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

I am nowhere near your stage, but every now and again panic sets in with me and I have every doubt under the sun.

I think probably the stage you are at is the worst, your moving, but not, kinda thing, its a sort of inbetween and I think that stage is probably the worst and losing your support to boot.

I am sure it will get better, once EVERYTHING is done and dusted and you are sitting on the aeroplane.

Hope you feel better soon, if you were here I'd take ya tae the pub, but some k, will have to suffice, Love Margaret

Also I hate to talk about moving, when people as me about it, I practically ignore them, cant understand why I do that

Last edited by Margaret2; Jan 21st 2006 at 7:50 am.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Margaret2
if you were here I'd take ya tae the pub,
Now that sounds like a good idea
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:51 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Now that sounds like a good idea

Yeah, spend today in the pub
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:55 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Felt exactly the same in the weeks leading up to our departure. The stress was ridiculous, the lists were ridiculous, the arguments were ridulous. BUT, it was as if it hadn't all happened when we touched down here. Another world, another time. Every now and then, I find an old list or some reference to our last few weeks in the UK and I shudder at the memory. Maybe it's some essential rite of passage!!!!
Old Jan 21st 2006, 8:24 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

No it's a completely natural feeling..........just before we sold the house we were stressed and felt a bit useless as nothing seemed to be moving. Now were with the inlaws we just have what we're travelling with and our life is condensed and organised now. As the date gets closer the excitement/anxiety is building again................
Old Jan 21st 2006, 9:06 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Anne, I can sympathise with you on the lists and the amount of things to be done. I have lists at the moment to remind me of lists. Hopefully we should be off in about 9 weeks, house completion permitting!! There seems to be so much to do, Im beginning to wonder if it will ever be done, the lists seem so daunting, sometimes, I dont know where to start.

I would advise anyone, when you start applying for your visas, starting clearing out then. We didnt clear enough, did a few car boots, but should have really done alot, lot more than we did.

Im not sleeping at night either, keep thinking what has to be done the next day, which isnt doing me any good at all, but so far, touch wood, Ive not been crying, but I know, give it a few more days of no sleep and I will be a sobbing, evil, bad tempered wreck :scared: Which will be no use to anyone.

I hope this helps Ann to know that you are not alone in what you are going through.

PM me if you like and we can compare lists

Jo
Old Jan 21st 2006, 9:46 am

p.s.

Please don't see this thread as a karma plea, IT IS NOT. If I want karma I am quite happy to just come out and ask for it I just really needed to offload. And I do genuinely want to know if it is something that other migrants have gone through.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:33 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Your about to be taken out your comfort zone Anne, anyone who thinks yeah this is a piece of cake or I don't give a damn have something wrong with them.

It may take 6 months, a year or even 2 years before you build another comfort zone & Australia is home to you.
The anxiety is normal, its a major rollercoaster from start to finish, just hang on tight cause your mood will more than likely change again very soon.

Theres thousands would give their right arm to be in your position, good luck with the new life.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I empathise with you. We've yet to sell the house and tie up a few major issues and my moods are very cyclical but on the whole, I just feel very deflated. Like I'm in the twighlight zone and don't know what will happen.
Yes, I think your feelings are completely normal, although that might not make you feel any better at the moment, they will change again.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

ozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really niceozzymaz is just really nice

Hi Anne
I am in a similar position as yourself although dont have visa's yet we are expecting them, hopefully within the next few weeks. I know what you mean about feeling depressed about the whole thing, and like yourself I am leaving my two grown-up sons behind. One is married and lives in Wales (along with my 2 grandsons), my youngest is mid-way through an apprenticeship and hopefully will join us when it is completed. Like you there are times when I think WHAT AM I DOING!!! :scared: and also like you it has been a dream to live in OZ for such a long time. There are times when I think that I cannot leave Jamie (my youngest son) behind although I know he will be fine and is going to live with his biological father and is quite happy about this.I feel guilty for putting my dreams first although both my sons say 'go for it Mum' and have assured me that they will visit regularly, but the panic is still there and reading other threads it seems that this is perfectly natural and hopefully will subside once we get there and start to make a life there. You have a lot on your plate what with tying up all the loose ends at this side on your own- a mammoth task in itself but I am sure you will be OK Hope it kind of makes you feel better to know that you are not alone in all these feelings you are having

Marlyn
Old Jan 21st 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

hiya, I'm sure it is totally normal, I've been feeling the same, so much to do, leaving things behind, we have moved out of our house now and are staying with friends. Its nice that theres not much more to do but I feel a bit displaced. I think it must just be all the upheaval. Im sure you will be fine. I've been feeling much happier again recently and cant wait to go now. Grab yourself a glass of wine and chill out.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is it normaly to have such negative emotions on the cusp of moving?

p.s.

Please don't see this thread as a karma plea, IT IS NOT. If I want karma I am quite happy to just come out and ask for it I just really needed to offload. And I do genuinely want to know if it is something that other migrants have gone through.
Hi Anne we were in the army for 23 years and had about 15 moves in Europe some i did on my own as hubby was away elsewhere in the world the boys were young then but i can honestly say i am more stressed about this move than any other perhaps its because of our age and Derek hasn't got a job to go to but it is what we both want, the fact that terry is going before you is probably adding to the stress i hope everything goes well with your house sale and the dogs settle in okay best wishes Janet
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Anne,
hun, this is normal. You have loads of uncertainly before you but you will do it. You and Terry are Strong and you have a desire to leave this country for the right reasons..

You'll be just fine. a little fly in the ointment but you can always fish it out.

big fat karma to you my friend

love Lace xx

I'll be there in Perth to say hello and then I'll be the one who is Sh***** it lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.