Is it normal

Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future
Default Is it normal

for recruitment agencies to advertise jobs, tell you how good your CV/Resume is and tell you they will be in touch very soon, then not bother calling back at all?

I am starting to tire of sending my cv out to many agencies, to be told the above, and then hear nothing again!!!

At home looking for jobs, whilst the sun is shinning, bored and fed up!!!

I only want a simple IT Helpdesk/Desktop/Network role, not as if I am asking for a top notch job!!

Oh and to top it off, our container should have arrived in Melbourne 4th Jan, and delivered to us around 20th Jan, we have yet to receive it, we have been camping out in out rental home with 3 kids for over 3 weeks.

We have tried to purchase Land on two seperate occasions outright with cash, nothing going against us, for both vendors to pull out at the last minute.

Tried to setup Internet with Bigpond/Telstra and each time they have messed up the order, maybe
3rd time lucky and 2 weeks down the line!!!!!

If this isn't a sign I dont know what is!!!!

Last edited by Haktahsin; Feb 5th 2009 at 2:33 am.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:20 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it normal

Originally Posted by Haktahsin
for recruitment agencies to advertise jobs, tell you how good your CV/Resume is and tell you they will be in touch very soon, then not bother calling back at all?

I am starting to tire of sending my cv out to many agencies, to be told the above, and then hear nothing again!!!

I only want a simple IT Helpdesk/Desktop/Network role, not as if I am asking for a top notch job!!
Are you in Australia? If so, then the answer is "yes".

Are you in the UK? If so, then the answer is "yes".
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:23 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

Ditto. You need to keep bothering them, not that the net result differs much
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they just don't have any work for you?

I know my agent told me that things are only just picking back up again after the Xmas holiday's - this was only on Monday this week.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future

Thanks that's reassuring to know!

I am in Australia.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:47 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

When it rains eh...

Dont let that get you down. Although agents here annoy the hell out of me I think it's just a sign of the times, as they have more people applying for fewer roles - which gives them less time to devote to anyone in particular and adds to their own concerns (woah there...am I actually defending recruitment agents?!)

Anyway, so try not to take it personally has been the advice given to me. Keep pestering, regularly, and hopefully things will start to pick up.

And the other thing I'd say is that not hearing back immediately doesn't necessarily mean there's no interest. For example, I applied for a role in Mid November. After an initial chat with the recruiter, only last week did they come back to say a panel at the firm will soon be sitting down to consider interviews. So by the time that happens, let alone starting the job, it will have been 3 months (admittedly there was the issue of xmas/ny and holidays). Good luck

Last edited by MTPockets; Feb 5th 2009 at 2:56 am.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Haktahsin

Oh and to top it off, our container should have arrived in Melbourne 4th Jan, and delivered to us around 20th Jan, we have yet to receive it, we have been camping out in out rental home with 3 kids for over 3 weeks.

We have tried to purchase Land on two seperate occasions outright with cash, nothing going against us, for both vendors to pull out at the last minute.

Tried to setup Internet with Bigpond/Telstra and each time they have messed up the order, maybe
3rd time lucky and 2 weeks down the line!!!!!

If this isn't a sign I dont know what is!!!!

My OH went for coffee with each agency. Made him a person, not just a cv, and gave him a chance to expand on experience, circumstances etc. Was working, in IT, after 2 weeks. Got to be worth a try?

Good luck
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTPockets
When it rains eh...

Dont let that get you down. Although agents here annoy the hell out of me I think it's just a sign of the times, as they have more people applying for fewer roles - which gives them less time to devote to anyone in particular and adds to their own concerns (woah there...am I actually defending recruitment agents?!)

Anyway, so try not to take it personally has been the advice given to me. Keep pestering, regularly, and hopefully things will start to pick up.
Well at least the rain isn't something I can complain about!

Cheers for the advice..
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Neal_and_Tanya will become famous soon enoughNeal_and_Tanya will become famous soon enough

I work in recruitment for a large firm (who I will keep nameless) and unfortunately we can't possibly keep in touch with every candidate we meet/speak too.
Before the slump we would meet around 100 people a quarter, now it is closer to 200 so it isn't possible for us to call everyone on a weekly basis (much as we should)

Also please bear in mind we are working in a sales/commission role-when there is a position that suits your skilss they will call. have faith
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:58 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neal_and_Tanya
I work in recruitment for a large firm (who I will keep nameless) and unfortunately we can't possibly keep in touch with every candidate we meet/speak too.
Before the slump we would meet around 100 people a quarter, now it is closer to 200 so it isn't possible for us to call everyone on a weekly basis (much as we should)

Also please bear in mind we are working in a sales/commission role-when there is a position that suits your skilss they will call. have faith
Meh!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Neal_and_Tanya will become famous soon enoughNeal_and_Tanya will become famous soon enough

Meh!
Very constructive-well done
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:27 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Very constructive-well done
Thank you very much......
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, after my initial rant I received 2 calls from agents, I was far too senior for one position and the other wanted to speak with me regarding my resume.

So I feel a little more positive this afternoon than I did earlier in the day.

I will feel so much better once I have a job.

Huk.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I understand agents are busy but they should tell people they won't call unless they have something for them. I am sick of them telling me "I will call you next week" of some other promise. I wouldn't expect a call unless they told me they would, and then even if they rarely do call it is for a job that is nothing like what I asked for.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by seayork2002
I understand agents are busy but they should tell people they won't call unless they have something for them. I am sick of them telling me "I will call you next week" of some other promise. I wouldn't expect a call unless they told me they would, and then even if they rarely do call it is for a job that is nothing like what I asked for.

I couldn't agree more-which is why I tell everyone I meet that I will try and call them once a fortnight but if they don't hear from me to call me.