Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nooby Post (sorry if this is old stuff)

Nooby Post (sorry if this is old stuff)

Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Martin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really nice
Default Nooby Post (sorry if this is old stuff)

Hi guys. Been trawling this site for a while now and have found it incredibly useful and resourceful.

I am heading out to Melbourne in 2 weeks time for a 6 week recon mission mixed with some work for my company who have offices in Canterbury. I am currently working in Scotland for a UK based IT House.

The plan is for us to move over permanently next summer on the basis that when we go at the end of the month, we dont hate the place (which i definitely dont envisage).

The biggest questions we have relate to the usual stuff such as how to obtain a mortgage and opening bank accounts. We will be selling up totally so are planning on using £150K as a deposit on a property and then mortgaging up the rest.

I dont think we will move into Canterbury, as lovely as it looks, it is a tad expensive.

I guess if anyone could give us any ideas on towns or areas outside of melbourne that arent too bad commute wise (1 hour would be max) and have the dream combinations of being leafy, quiet, family orientated and affordable then we would be incredibly grateful.

MJ
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nooby Post (sorry if this is old stuff)

No helpful advice on Melbourne - just wanted to welcome you to the forum and wish you and the family good luck with the move.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Martin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really nice

Thanks!

Really looking forward to the trip. The pictures, i am told, dont do the place justice. We are also visiting Port Douglas for 8 days to go to the Sea Temple Spa.

Anyone been there or heard of it?

The missus would like some hot weather before we leave!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it is winter here. I suppose it should have started warming up a bit by the tale end of your reccie, but I'd certainly pack a few fleeces if I were you!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:31 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin J
Hi guys. Been trawling this site for a while now and have found it incredibly useful and resourceful.

I am heading out to Melbourne in 2 weeks time for a 6 week recon mission mixed with some work for my company who have offices in Canterbury. I am currently working in Scotland for a UK based IT House.

The plan is for us to move over permanently next summer on the basis that when we go at the end of the month, we dont hate the place (which i definitely dont envisage).

The biggest questions we have relate to the usual stuff such as how to obtain a mortgage and opening bank accounts. We will be selling up totally so are planning on using £150K as a deposit on a property and then mortgaging up the rest.

I dont think we will move into Canterbury, as lovely as it looks, it is a tad expensive.

I guess if anyone could give us any ideas on towns or areas outside of melbourne that arent too bad commute wise (1 hour would be max) and have the dream combinations of being leafy, quiet, family orientated and affordable then we would be incredibly grateful.

MJ
Eltham & surrounding sounds an option for you (thats where I'm prob headed). Green belt area, very pretty, train line to CBD (Hurstbridge line) and between 35 mins and 1 hour drive to CBD, good value property with nice big leafy gardens. Pretty close to vineyards too. Ive only heard good things about it from those in the know One BE member said she even saw Koalas in her back yard
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice

Yes, I was going to suggest Eltham/Hursty area too, but it isn't as affordable as some other areas that are not so nice. BUT it is really good for families, a reasonable length of commute (it is full of commuters!) and has lots of nice coffee bars, good library, art complex at Monsalvat, nature parks, river, wildlife, nice people living there (on the whole), georgeous mud brick houses, and is in the green wedge. Diamond Creek is not quite as nice but a bit more affordable.
I would say it is worth the extra money you'd pay in Eltham (used to live there). Once you go on up to Templestowe and Doncaster the houses start to get VERY big and VERY pricey! (Like the houses you see on Neighbours - I think it is filmed near there!).
Hope this helps. There's more Eltham info on the forum if you do a search. Otherwise give us a shout if you want more info - the OH is an Elthamite so can give you a resident's viewpoint.