Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Non religious senior schools, northern subs Perth

Non religious senior schools, northern subs Perth

Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:38 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default Non religious senior schools, northern subs Perth

Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me if there are any senior schools in the Northern suburbs of Perth that are non religious??? also does anyone have any thoughts on whats better or worst Quinns baptist or lake joondalup if we do go for a baptist college?

Thanks all,

Dawn
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:28 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non religious senior schools, northern subs Perth

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me if there are any senior schools in the Northern suburbs of Perth that are non religious??? also does anyone have any thoughts on whats better or worst Quinns baptist or lake joondalup if we do go for a baptist college?

Thanks all,

Dawn
All private schools will be affiliated to some religion or another. Quinns would be closer to you I think and I know a few who send their kids there and are quite happy. Peter Moyes is Anglican and is more what I would consider a 'normal' religion. One of the teachers at our school sends her boys there and is very happy with it. The TEE performance tables suggest otherwise but she sings its praises.

Your daughter was praised in assembly today for her actions with regard to handing in the money, you should be very proud of her.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 2:52 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Ahh thanks so much C, i was going to message you today regarding schools actually! Ive got my little one down at Quinns for senior school, been reading some of your threads on here regarding schools, really pleased you got yours sorted!!!! im just not sure what to do for the best :/ but atleast she has a place for now, i have friends who come from Carramar each day to Quinns baptist and really rate it!! could have done without having to go down the private root really but i will do whatevers best for her....C do you find the primary school good??? i know you have a lot to do with the school,,,,just wondered if its worth moving sooner rather than later? were also thinking of moving to Currambine or Joondy....Thanks for your comment re assembly, she told me about it on the way home but didnt realise it was mentioned in assembly,,,pleased she did the right thing any advice much appreciated x
Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:02 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked at both LJBC and Quinns Baptist and they are both very similiar so I'd go to which ever is closest - or the one you can get into!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 2:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh thanks so much C, i was going to message you today regarding schools actually! Ive got my little one down at Quinns for senior school, been reading some of your threads on here regarding schools, really pleased you got yours sorted!!!! im just not sure what to do for the best :/ but atleast she has a place for now, i have friends who come from Carramar each day to Quinns baptist and really rate it!! could have done without having to go down the private root really but i will do whatevers best for her....C do you find the primary school good??? i know you have a lot to do with the school,,,,just wondered if its worth moving sooner rather than later? were also thinking of moving to Currambine or Joondy....Thanks for your comment re assembly, she told me about it on the way home but didnt realise it was mentioned in assembly,,,pleased she did the right thing any advice much appreciated x
Not only was it mentioned in assembly the Principal got her to stand up in front of the whole school as an example of how to behave, particularly when nobody was watching her when she found it.

Personally I plan on keeping my kids at our school until high school. I love our school and as primary schools go in the area it is smaller than most and I think we have a good mix of teachers and students and a good community atmosphere. I did some office relief in some other local schools and it wasn't the same by a long chalk.

Lets catch up soon for a coffee, I work Tuesdays, uniform Wed and canteen Friday but could do any other time.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:24 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Ahh thanks WS and C, thats so helpful you just dont know!!!!

Would love to meet for coffee C, message me on face book - i can do most days so can usually fit in with you...i can pick your brains then about one thing and another Sian never told me about standing up!! what are they like! just told her how proud i was and shes got all embarressed,,,,i would have been devasted if it had gone the other way she did well - thanks for letting me know! x
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Non religious senior schools, northern subs Perth

Hi all,

Thanks all,

Dawn
It's not private, but you could try Perth Modern (Subiaco). It's an academically selective public high school with a high reputation. One of my friends sent his daughter there.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 4:38 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's not private, but you could try Perth Modern (Subiaco). It's an academically selective public high school with a high reputation. One of my friends sent his daughter there.
You can't just send your child there, it is fully academic selective. Students sit exams, I think in year 6 or early year 7.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 4:40 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

My little one is isnt above average so not an option, and want her to be closer to home, but thanks anyway x
Old Mar 20th 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Hi Dawn,

My son started Quinns Baptist this year (yr 8) and so far loves it.

He went to an excellent high school in England then we came here and he went back to primary for a year which was a waste of time really, his teacher was always off, he got moved to another class just as he had started to settle because they had a big intake of kids and had to mix the classes up, he never got homework and just seemed to go backwards really.

But in the couple of months he has been at Quinns things seem to have gone back to what it was like at high school in England, he is actually getting an education now and a decent amout of homework. He likes his teachers and has made new friends, they have a good reward system in place which the kids seem to like but the school is also very disciplined which we like.

Good luck on your choice, it is so hard choosing the right school I do sympathise with you on it.

Debbie
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:29 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Non religious senior schools, northern subs Perth

Originally Posted by northernbird
You can't just send your child there, it is fully academic selective. Students sit exams, I think in year 6 or early year 7.
Yes, I said it is academically selective. You can't just waltz into Perth Modern.

Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, I said it is academically selective. You can't just waltz into Perth Modern.

It helps if you're Chinese and have been tutored in taking the exam for a couple of years.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:01 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Ahh thanks Debbie thats good to know how long have you been over here now??? im going to have a look at the schools next week i hope, ive had so much advice from friends but you know when you just need to speak to people that dont know you so well and who know the system so any helps appriciated my daughters in year 4 at the mo,,,,i worry about her as shes not that confident with reading and hates reading at home!!! sometimes wonder if i should pay for some extra help in reading/maths ect, just the basics really to boost her confidence, i try my best but they dont always want to listed to their mums :/ x
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you get a school sorted out.Have you decided not to go over east after all.As for the reading my eldest will read anything and always has a book in her hand.My youngest has to be encouraged.But we started buying him fun books like the Wimpy kids Diaries and he seems to enjoy them. At least hes reading a bit more now.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Ahh thanks Debbie thats good to know how long have you been over here now??? im going to have a look at the schools next week i hope, ive had so much advice from friends but you know when you just need to speak to people that dont know you so well and who know the system so any helps appriciated my daughters in year 4 at the mo,,,,i worry about her as shes not that confident with reading and hates reading at home!!! sometimes wonder if i should pay for some extra help in reading/maths ect, just the basics really to boost her confidence, i try my best but they dont always want to listed to their mums :/ x
Hi Dawn,
We have been here 16 months now, only seems yesterday when we left (but I'm sure it doesn't to family over in UK). Do get wobbles at times about going back, usually when someone is ill back home.

May not be a bad idea getting your daughter some extra help, it may be all she needs to give her the confidence in class. My son is the same hate's doing anything to do with reading etc. but I'm sure it is because he feels embarrassed in front of the class if he has to read or is asked a question.

I think it goes back to when he was little and we thought he had grasped the basics in infants but actually he was struggling. We had to take it back to basics with him to understand the areas he needed the help with before he could move on, but he seems to be doing ok now. From my experience the teachers we have had just don't have the time to do that, they have to get through the set curriculum and those that aren't able to keep up just seem to struggle, but that is just my experience. Only ever had one teacher that noticed he needed help and set him extra work in those areas but then she left!

The good thing at the moment is they have to read a book every few weeks and then do a summary on it, they get to read it at their own leisure so no pressure to do it in class. In fact as I am typing this he is in his bedroom reading the last bit of his current book and he actually looks like he is enjoying it!
Hope it goes well.
Debbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.