Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recruiting Agency Withdrawing Application

Recruiting Agency Withdrawing Application

Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Recruiting Agency Withdrawing Application

Hi
A governmental department in Canberra has an IT job been advertised visa several agents
I was contacted by one agent and they asked to represent me and i agreed
few days later another agent contacted me with significant difference in the salary

I contacted the first agent and asked to match the 2nd offer
what they told me is that they submitted my application to the government already and they cannot withdraw or change the application.
while the 2nd agent told me that the first agent can withdraw my application and i can re-submit my application through the 2nd agent.

not sure which one is right,

Shall I just accept much lower salary than I can get and just stay with the 1st agent,
or can I ask to withrdraw my application and go with the 2nd agent??
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruiting Agency Withdrawing Application

Originally Posted by KenA
Hi
A governmental department in Canberra has an IT job been advertised visa several agents
I was contacted by one agent and they asked to represent me and i agreed
few days later another agent contacted me with significant difference in the salary

I contacted the first agent and asked to match the 2nd offer
what they told me is that they submitted my application to the government already and they cannot withdraw or change the application.
while the 2nd agent told me that the first agent can withdraw my application and i can re-submit my application through the 2nd agent.

not sure which one is right,

Shall I just accept much lower salary than I can get and just stay with the 1st agent,
or can I ask to withrdraw my application and go with the 2nd agent??
Sounds very dodgy - the position should pay a fixed amount or state a range (ie salary between $**** and $****), not fluctuate depending on which agent you use.

Did you sign a contract with the first agent? If so, what are the conditions covering this type of situation?
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sounds very dodgy - the position should pay a fixed amount, not fluctuate depending on which agent you use.

Did you sign a contract with the first agent? If so, what are the conditions covering this type of situation?
No contract yet
I was contacted by more than 5 different agents

apparently the government asks agents to send their best candidates and they select who ever they want..

thats common practice in government.

but not sure if the agent lowered my salary they may keep the difference in case they ask for more than i asked for.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:39 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

No contract yet

apparently the government asks agents to send their best candidates and they select who ever they want..

but not sure if the agent lowered my salary they may keep the difference in case they ask for more than i asked for.
Maybe give Access Canberra a call, they're responsible for licencing employment agents. Even if they can't help, they should be able to tell you who can https://www.accesscanberra.act.gov.a...ensing#!tabs-7
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 10:34 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

No contract yet

Is it a contract role? If so, you have hit the nail on the head here - the agency will be creaming off the difference. It sounds like it to me - as the agent would want a cut of the negotiated salary in their commission.

If it's a full time role, you will end up negotiating with the department anyway, so just go through the motions with the interview and references, and then negotiate upwards when the offer comes in.

S
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Is it a contract role? If so, you have hit the nail on the head here - the agency will be creaming off the difference. It sounds like it to me - as the agent would want a cut of the negotiated salary in their commission.

If it's a full time role, you will end up negotiating with the department anyway, so just go through the motions with the interview and references, and then negotiate upwards when the offer comes in.

S
It is contract

can I withdraw my application?
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 3:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It is contract

can I withdraw my application?
Of course you can. You're not a hostage!
Old Jul 5th 2018, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Of course you can. You're not a hostage!
What she said. You can do what you want!

Did you sign a contract? What does the contract say? I bet if you did, it doesn't say you can't walk away. Even if it did, of course you can walk away! Don't expect to have any relationship with the original agency however if you do. You were originally happy with the offer from the initial agency, so they may question why you would back out.